Added a 10" sub in the SRT10

Franko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Added a 10\" sub in the SRT10

Did you ever notice how deep the passenger footwell goes? Thats where my sub is located. It does obviously take up footwell space but there is still enough room for passengers to feel comfortable. Average height passengers won't have a problem but i think anybody over 6'1" might feel alittle cramped.

Added a JL 10" sub (10W3 model) with a JL amp that is pushing 250 watts RMS mono into the sub. I also added the polk 6.5 door speakers and thought i was finished.

With the factory amp located under the passenger seat, it is set up so when the volume was low the bass was not in sync with the volume. I was told it was a feature of the factory amp that provides more power in the lower volume range and as it gets louder it cuts it back somewhat. Great for the factory set up, not great when you have the stereo really low and a sub that is throwing tons of bass. The factory amp also did not have enough voltage to run a remote to turn on the amp, instead it turns itself on when theres enough watts coming through. This basically meant when it was really low the amp would not be turned on until you put it louder, then it was to much! Had to upgrade to a small 4 channel amp which helps the factory speakers along with controlling the crossover to allow less bass through.

The factory woofer was useless and if anything was hurting the sound so my installer took out the whole assembly and mounted the amp behind the factory sub grill between the seats. It's a creative idea, when you look into the grill you see a silver JL amp. It was perfect for the space issue as well.

It now sounds VERY good, the bass is GREAT and the clarity is pretty good as well.

As long as you don't mind giving alittle bit of space in the passenger footwell i am VERY happy i did this!

My wife prefers luxury over sports cars so just my buddies have to deal with it and i'm sure they won't mind :)

I don't know to much about systems so sorry if this didn't make total sense.

Frank

SRTaj10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Added a 10

Frank, I have an 8" in my footwell. If you dont mind me asking what brand 10 did you use and is the box fiber glass or wood??? How many inches of the footwell did it take up?

OP
OP
F

Franko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Added a 10

The sub is a JL 10" (10W3 model)

I don't know how many inches it took up but i'll post a pic. I'm off to vegas now but will get a pic on monday. The box was wood and as you know it had to be totally custom to fit the odd shape of the footwell.