"Addicted To Your Car"

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been seeing ads for "Addicted To Your Car" auto care products in the magazines. The ad on page 155 November Road & Track is quite the daydream and I don't mean the Corvair ; )

Anyone tried these products (the waterless car wash in particular)?

I find myself really wanting to try a waterless car wash but am scared to death of marring my finish. Words of wisdom from those with the guts to have done it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha, what timing, I just got an email from Griots a couple weeks ago with their version:
Spray-On Car Wash Kit - Cleaners - Car Washing - Car Care - Griot's Garage

i tried the Eagle1BucketFreeWash when it came out a few years ago with my previous car. Wasnt really a fan of that stuff
I prefer to just use QD

The key with any of these bucket free cleaning processes or QD is the application product and Technique: You want to use a nice thick microfiber towel (like the ones that come with the Griot's kit) and a minimum amount of pressure to pick up contaminates without scratching the paint. A big towel folded into quarters is thick enough to disperse the pressure from your hand and provides 8 cleaning surfaces so you have a fresh cleaning surface for each of you body panels.

OP
OP
H

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, both, for the knowledge sharing. Picked up a half dozen 16x 16 plush microfiber towels today.

Is QD the Meguirers Quick Detail product? Safe for wheels or do you use something else (just realized I need more microfiber towels for the rims!)?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, both, for the knowledge sharing. Picked up a half dozen 16x 16 plush microfiber towels today.

Is QD the Meguirers Quick Detail product? Safe for wheels or do you use something else (just realized I need more microfiber towels for the rims!)?

Yes, it is. And I use the Meguiars QD on my wheels also.:2tu:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Adams products a lot and some zaino stuff

but when it comes to the quick detailers I always use the Meguires.

It's been months since I washed my Viper with a bucket..I just wipe it down when I put it back in the garage with the QD and a THICK MF towel, use a different towel on the wheels and put the cover back on!

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had friends try the dry car wash products and got mixed reviews. I use CA. dusters and lots of Griots Speed shine and spray on wax.

Bruce

OP
OP
H

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What part of the state are you considering??

Nashville area. Have some friends (custom knife makers) who are 40 minutes outside of Nashville and the area is much more affordable than NJ, not to mention much more personal freedom. Any thoughts or suggestions you have would be appreciated. We have a 4 1/2 year old daughter so we can't go totally rural like we'd like to.

Thanks Leslie and Hemi Killer. Appreciate the input. Will try the QD and order up some Speed Shine to see which I like better!

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QD before and after ever drive and a good wash about twice a year. Then a good rewax- 4-6 coats

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nashville area. Have some friends (custom knife makers) who are 40 minutes outside of Nashville and the area is much more affordable than NJ, not to mention much more personal freedom. Any thoughts or suggestions you have would be appreciated. We have a 4 1/2 year old daughter so we can't go totally rural like we'd like to.

We're 30 mi. west of Nashville. Yes, there are a "few" areas that need to be avoided :nono:. I'm sure your friends would agree. Let me know if I could be of assistance (Real Estate agents, etc) I can hook you up.:2tu: OK, back on topic:D
-Chip

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hayabusa,

I'm not familiar with the 'Addicted To You Car' products.

You're going to need a lot of microfiber towels. I also use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer™, but I go through, at least, 8-10 towels per cleaning...and I use it on my chrome rims.
All that black soot on the back end (I have an '01 vert) from the exhaust causes me to quick detail it every drive or two.
I use Top Secret FW1 Fast Wax on the painted surfaces.

OP
OP
H

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jeffery and Robert & LifeIsGood.

The weekend got away from me. Was doing my annual deep clean of my 90 gallon fishtank and had the wrong piece open when I was replacing the bulb in the UV sterilizer. All the filtration is in the cabinet, under the tank. Fortunately I always unplug everything when working on the filtration system! My wife is still laughing at me yelling "pull out the grey tube, don't shake it pull it out!" while lying on my back holding parts together and getting fish $hit water all over me. Just finished cleaning the hardwood floor and am drying the persian rug. Now I can laugh about it too. :rolaugh: :rolaugh: :rolaugh:

Will have to get the QD tomorrow and order the Speedshine tonight.

Chip, you have a PM.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The meguiars QD is a great product but the most popular choice of professional detailers is this product
Autopia Review: Detailing Sprays: FK1 Ultra Slick Poly Wipe Spray Detailer

The 08 viper red is an awesome color but you should wax your car(very easy to do) every 3-6 months depending on the wax you use...most QDs are made to enhance the underlying wax

Adams is a great wax but doesn't last long
Collinite is very long lasting

I've been using Wolfgang wax...here is my car after a very mild hand polish followed by Wolfgang

c171.JPG

c131.JPG

Last edited:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wallbanger, that is ONE FINE SHINE!!!! Beautiful~! (LOVE those WHEELS...lol...a bit biased maybe here!) ~juli

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hayabusa.... whats your set-up??? salt or fresh? I have 2 tank right now but I had 5 a few months ago, 4 fresh one salt. Now I have consolidated to a 150gal tank for my big cats and plecos and a 40gal tank for my small plecos and a few tropicals.

OP
OP
H

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fresh. Have Pseudoacanthicus Angelicus Pleco, Chocolate Albino Pleco, Lemon Spotted Pleco, large Synodonis Eupterus, Assorted fantail and lionhead goldfish.

Oh, and '08 Viper

OP
OP
H

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wallbanger, your car looks fantastic !!!

GBS, not only does your Viper shine, the other vehicles in your pic are reflecting some serious light! :cool:

Canyon 707, Have Ca Duster in the garage I got as a gift 2 yrs ago, never felt comfortable with the thought of running it across my Black Mamba's finish.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wallbanger, your car looks fantastic !!!

GBS, not only does your Viper shine, the other vehicles in your pic are reflecting some serious light! :cool:

Canyon 707, Have Ca Duster in the garage I got as a gift 2 yrs ago, never felt comfortable with the thought of running it across my Black Mamba's finish.

Cleaning is a tough task no matter what you use. Seems that the clear coat is softer than one might think. I use mostly Adams detail spray or Mquires also but, I do prefer Adams. Takes about 20 micro fiber rags also. I think one must be extra careful after using the rags. Washing the micro fiber rags is also critical. I inspect each and every towel after laundry to look for anything that may stick to the towels. My wife says she can do 5 loads of wash to my one but, I am addicted to making a 100% effort not to scratch. As for the Ca duster, I call it the CA disaster. I use it to dust my work bench.

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only time I wash is when I claybar. The rest of the time I use Zaino Z-6 detailing spray between Z2/Z5 polishing sessions.

I use a Swifer duster (one time and discard) to knock off any dust. Swifer is cheap and easy -- doesn't leave any residue on the finish. It isn't loaded with wax like a CA duster.

OP
OP
H

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a bizillion microfiber towels and gallons of Speed Shine from Groits. Put my baby up clean for the winter. Will use my new products with the good counsel I've received here.

Thanks for the knowledge sharing everyone!!!