Advice on buying a used Viper?

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Starting to seriously look at used Vipers and was hopping to get some input. I’m pretty much set on getting an RT/10 with side pipes. Which I think limits me to 92-95? Are there any years to avoid? A local broker has a clean 92, but I’m concerned about problems with the first run on any car. I know they are pretty rare but do they make good drivers? Do any years have better engines? Any years/colors have paint problems? What about the head gasket thing? Thanks for your input…KW

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BUY ONE WITH A/C IT WILL HELP WITH THE RESALE WHEN YOU ARE READY TO UPGRADE TO A GENII CAR AND YOU WILL SOMEDAY WANT TO UPGRADE. IF YOU DRIVE IT MUCH CONSIDER HARDTOP AND HARD WINDOWS. I WOULD TRY TO PURCHASE ONE THAT ALREADY HAS THEM. LAST BUT MOST IMPORTANT DO NOT BUY BECAUSE IT WAS JUST A GOOD PRICE YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR AND VIPERS ARE NOT CHEAP EVEN WHEN THEY ARE WORN OUT. 95 MODEL WOULD BE MY SUGGESTION IF YOU WANT THE SIDE PIPES.
confused.gif

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carfax is a great help.

Spend money to have a good mechanic check it out, no matter how mechanical you are.

Take plenty of time to look the car over carefully, at least 30 minutes of opening and poking to make sure you see any little clues to condition that may be present. An hour might be better.

Lastly, have fun. The hunt is part of the fun of owning a Viper.

BIRD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the above a/c is a must. Hard top and windows are also very nice if you are going to drive your car. I bought a perfect 93 last October for 39000.I then bought used top and windows that were not as bad as factory, but still a pain in the ****. Had to add an exhaust system. I now have 43000 into it. Now I'm hooked so I step up to a GTS. Dealers offer me 28000 on a 70000 car as real money trade. Sold it on the VCA classified for 38000. If your budget allows step up to a newer model now and save yourself a lot of money down the road.

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my humble opinion: WHO you buy your Viper from will turn out to be just as, if not more, important than WHICH Viper you eventually buy. Call Bill Pemberton @ WOODHOUSE Dodge and talk to him. It will be the best call you ever make and he can answer your Viper questions and help you get the car you want without all the BS. pete the xgg

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
carguy07,
Do a search on this site concerning buying a used Viper and read up!!
1996 was a breaking point model and the concensus is 1997 and up are better choices. I've been told that owners of '92's have Gold in their garages concerning future value.
Do your homework, find a car and I've seen VCA members gladly assist new buyers with carfax reports and inspections of cars.

The hardest part will be determining how much money you want to allocate for your purchase. Do not rely soley on book values either as you would be very disappointed if you tried to buy my car for book value (aint gonna happen).
laugh.gif

I will add this thought, you'll not regret buying a Viper!

Good luck!!

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be aware that early gen1 cars had headgasket issues. Some of them had their motors rebuilt by Arrow under warrenty. If the viper you are looking at hasn't.... ask why. I think JonB once said that it wasn't IF a headgasket was going to fail, it's WHEN.

Gen1s are stripper cars. Only the latter years had AC. if you buy a Gen1, make sure you get the soft top, curtains, and rear window at bare minimum.

Oh yeah, forget what you read in the book values.... i'd love to find another 96 for 29K
laugh.gif

best Gen1 choice - 96 RT (rear exit) or 94/95 (side exit).

MM

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ignore all the negative comments on the early years. I've have a '94 RT/10 and know a lot of Gen I owners with no problems at all. I think it's Gen II side pipe envy that makes every put the early cars down! Flame!

As far as the comment "Some day you will want to upgrade..." that's partly right...I want another early RT/10!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine