Advice re: buying extremely low-mileage Viper

seoross

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm currently considering purchasing a final edition GTS coupe. Since being purchased new in 2002, the car has been kept strictly as a show car and currently has less than 700 miles on it. While that seems like a great opportunity in some ways, I'm a little concerned about buying a car that has essentially been sitting in a garage for 4 years.

I've been warned about general issues with stored cars, but I was hoping to get some insights here about any particular issues that might affect this car. Any reason why I should be especially concerned? Alternatively, can I rest easier so long as all scheduled maintenance (and other proper care) has been performed?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

seo

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
was it actually stored? or was it driven on a little at regular intervals? were the fluids regularly changed and circulated through their respective systems?

if you are buying the car to drive you are likely wasting money buying a low-mileage car. however, if you are also going to store or only show the car, then it may be worth the extra expense.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is he wasting money buying a low mileage car if he is going to drive it?

OP
OP
S

seoross

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. At the moment, I don't know too much about the history of the car other than what I wrote above, but I will obviously find out things like how often it was driven and when fluids, etc. were replaced.

One other thing of interest is this idea that I'm overpaying for low miles if I'm planning to drive the car (rather than simply show it). The asking price is $63k, and I think I could probably get it down to $60k. Based on what else I've seen in the marketplace, that didn't sound too bad to me. In fact, in most cases it looked like I would only be paying a couple thousand more than I would if I bought something with 5,000-10,000 miles. Does that thinking seem wrong to you? Also, say I drove it for a couple of years, put a few thousand miles on it, then wanted to sell. Do you think I'd take a bath on it?

Thanks again for the thoughts...

seo

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$60k sounds like a great deal if its in good shape, which it most likely is. I thik you could buy it, drive it a little (a couple thousand miles), you'd be able to sell it and not take a bath at all. Depending on how the Viper market is then, you may even make a little off of it as long as u dont rack up the miles on it

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd go for it. Change all the fluids, the battery, the tires and enjoy it. I mean, look at it this way, I know of one Viper for sale right now that is a '96 B&W with only 400 miles on it. 700 miles in 4 years isn't that bad.

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would buy the car for $ 63k if I had the money. I think it is a reasonable price.

It's essentially a brand new car. Just sitting for the time that it has sat is not that long.

I think the reason anybody would pay extra for a low milage car and drive it, is to get as new of a car as possible.

There was no better experience for me than to drive a B/W Viper off the showroom floor at Ringgold Dodge. Tom. :2tu:

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was looking at a couple 25,000 mile 2002 FE's for 49,000-52,000

Is 24,300 miles worth $10,000 to you? If yes, hop on it. If no. wait out a deal on a slightly more used FE.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine (01) with 5k miles for similar $$$ a year ago. The car was perfect, and was worth the extra $$$ for me. You can find a lower priced 02 if you look. I would just be sure it's the car you want. I remember asking an Red ACR owner why he was selling, and he told me he really wanted a Bumble Bee. He is a genius. :cool:

Pick out your absolute perfect choice of Viper, and go after that car. Be patient. And you will be one happy ..

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry at all about the low mile factor, I bought another 2000 GTS in April with 1500 miles on it, absolutely no issues INCLUDING tires, that one is really overblown as far as worry. We had a tech session a few years ago held by a guy whao is a fellow Viper owner and VCA member, he owns a LARGE group of tire stores. He put that one to rest conclusively....he could have made a lot of money for his stores by NOT telling us that any flatspotting will go away after a few miles. The BATTERY IS an issue, I would just replace it right away, mine just died this weekend even though it has been on a battery tender since the first day I bought it. Glad it crapped out as I was getting in it to leave the garage rather then when I shut it down to gas up. Fluids should be changed too, time as well as mileage affects them. That car sounds like a great deal, I know of a couple dealers thet would probably ****** it up at 60k, and sell it for 65k. And as you mentioned driving it for a bit and then selling, then yes, a car with that kind of miles could go all the way to 8-9,000 miles and STILL be considered a low mile Viper. As a matter of fact as evidenced by this thread, some would consider it a BETTER buy at that mileage then the miles it has on it now! So the next 8,000 miles or so should be FREE to you, how can you lose?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't advertise where it is some car dealers around here have been known to swoop in and steal it right out from a potential buyer for a quick flip.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a more than fair price to me. Brand new the car went for approx $75k with another 3k gas guzzler and 3k lux tax. Owner drove less than 700 miles to show it. Assuming it wasn't flooded in Katrina or wrecked, it is well worth the money for a virtually brand new FE. Good luck.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The worst thing for a stored car is heat. Heat dries out the tires, door seals, oil seals, leather seats. When I worked in the Air Guard in supply all rubber and leathers were stored in a 33 degree refer. I own a car storage in Anchorage and the cars are parked in a 3 story building not heated for years at a time(Bush,village people). The only problem we ever have is with the battery. If this Viper was in an air conditioned garage or climate control. I'd say no problem. I bought a 99 RT last summer in LA not covered and in the heat. I had to change all the rubbers and door seals and trunk seal. Just bought a 98 GTS this summer lower miles that 99 and it was in an A/C garage and its like new. Still smell leather interior. The only way we have engine problems is the guy that thinks you have to start it every month. It's better to let them sit than start all the time and flood the crankcase with corrosive vapor,fuel and moisture. That would be fine if you take it out and drive it for the oil to get hot to burn out the fumes of rich run start that get in the oil. Also, gear oil and trans fluid should be changed out since the thinners evaporate and the start to varnish. Just a FYI.

OP
OP
S

seoross

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for all of the advice. After a lot of thinking and a lot of questions posed to the current owner, I've decided to go for it. Incidentally, thanks also to the people who warned about a dealer poaching the car. That was a concern of mine that nearly made me avoid posting altogether. I'm glad I did, however--and even more glad that I now have a deposit down (which I realize isn't iron-clad, but still...).

In any case, thanks again and I look forward to participating in this forum as an owner.

seo

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Why is he wasting money buying a low mileage car if he is going to drive it?"

700 is very low miles. However there should be no difference between the mechanics of a 700 mile car and a 5k miles car.

They are both brand new when it comes to wear parts.

So if you pay a premium for the 700 miles and then put normal driving miles on it, the car will quickly become just another reasonable miles Viper.

If you can get the car for just a little more than a 5k car, ok.
But if you pay a big premium for the 700 miles, I think it's a waste.