After reading the latest Viper Magazine.....

jpas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How many of you are now convinced you MUST have the 08?

I certainly am. I absolutely must have this car. The technology in the Venom controller alone makes the 03-06 seem like carburetored technology in comparison! While very similar looking overall except the new hood, the 08 seems light-years more advanced than the Gen 3's!

I also believe that if you need more power, once the geniuses like Sean Roe and Dan Cragin figure out the programming, you can change the heads on the car and get close to 700 rwhp naturally aspirated. That kind of power will give you 0-60 in the low 3's and 1/4 mile times in the low 10's w/ stock 3:07 gears and stock tires! Ya gotta friggin love it! You just gotta!

I will keep my 04 w/ it's beefed-up-by-Chuck-THE BEST- Tator new engine, TT that car for up to around 850 rwhp and to kick the crap out of anyone that picks a fight, and get the new 08 to drive for most other Viper occasions and to also kick the crap out of anyone that wants to test this new snake! :2tu:

I simply gotta have that new 08!!

That is kind of funny, Dodge is catching up with the rest of the industry with regards to the control systems in their vehicles and people think it is amazing. Why not add a Motec to your 04, and you will be even more advanced and have full control of your powertrain.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was trying to find any old threads about the reception to the Gen 3 in (was it) 2003. I though it would be interesting to compare the reaction of Gen 2 owners then to Gen 3 owners now (perhaps those reaction to change(s) other than ONLY aesthetics).

I'm a bit conflicted about selling my modded '01 for my ordered '08 (similar comparative HP). There's MANY factors that need to be considered; some mechanical, some aesthetic, some "drivability". In the end, although I'm not certain I've reached it, I believe I'd prefer a "newer" car. "Newer" simply from the standpoint of warranty and likelihood of mechanical issues. That's certainly a personal preference. But I'm still listening and reading. ;)

mangle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone know what chipset the Venom controller is based on? I've been looking for a good reverse-engineering project recently. From the sound of it, there's a bit of demand for this information, too.

If it's x86, it should be cake.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is kind of funny, Dodge is catching up with the rest of the industry with regards to the control systems in their vehicles and people think it is amazing. Why not add a Motec to your 04, and you will be even more advanced and have full control of your powertrain.

I dont know any other production vehicles using cam-in-cam technology....do you?

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know what chipset the Venom controller is based on? I've been looking for a good reverse-engineering project recently. From the sound of it, there's a bit of demand for this information, too.

If it's x86, it should be cake.

Try contacting Sean Roe and Roe Racing, the guy is a computer/software genius and may be working on this already.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then MT needs to put down the crack pipe... :D

Or maybe you should have a little more faith in Vipers! I was off on the 0-60 times, is even quicker than I remembered. Article follows, read em and weep!:

Not enough? Consider the Venom 650R package that includes all the above hardware and takes it to the next level by way of a stroker short-block: The 522-cube 650R incorporates JE 10.8:1 forged pistons, moly rings, longer than stock Manley Pro forged-steel connecting rods, and a custom-machined stroker crankshaft. A Comp Cams roller cam is employed along with an upgraded fuel system and specific computer programming to deliver a wider powerband with gobs more torque than stock. Independent chassis dyno testing of the Venom 650R verified 587 horsepower and 584 pound-feet of torque measured at the rear tires. That translates to about 690 horses at the flywheel, assuming an industry-standard 15-percent drivetrain loss.

SpecsViper 0-60 3.93, 1/4 mile 11.77 @ 123.63
SRT-10Venom 650R 0-60 in 3.0, 1/4 mile 10.76 @ 128.67

On the highway, the Venom 650R remains docile during cruising--actually even mellower than a stock SRT-10; but at the track, the package is vicious. Running on stock Michelin run-flat 19-inch radials, we drove the Venom 650R to an amazing 10.76-second quarter mile--making this the quickest stock-tired vehicle we've tested. We hustled the 650R to a 3.0-second 0-to-60-mph sprint that beats all-wheel-drive super-exotics like the Lamborghini Murcielago by over half a second. If there's a downside to this performance story, it'll be the hit to your pocketbook, as the 650R package will set you back a solid $34,500. We suggest skipping the Venom 650R badging; let your time slips do the bragging.

Here is the link if you prefer that:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0312_2003_viper_srt10_venom_650r/

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think if I already owned an modded '03-'06 I might not jump to an '08 -- but I did anyway -- I really believe 2009 or 2010 may be the end of the Viper (some day we'll all look back and admire these days of HP wars) ... I want to own the last, best-of-breed example of the Viper. On the other hand, if you don't own a Viper, I'd buy an '08 hands down over any available '03-'06.

The stock 600HP engine has better flowing heads, and with about $5K, I plan to add headers & 3" exhaust, maybe an intake, and 3.33 gears that should be good for 650+ HP n/a ... I don't think that's a lot of extra money for a factory, warranteed, non-blown monster ... and no PCM flash tuning needed.

On top of that, where earlier Vipers may have needed a Quaife rear diff to transfer power to the ground, this car will already have an improved rear diff, and an improved clutch, and an improved gear box ...

I don't see what all the fuss is about ... I don't think you can go wrong with an '08

DR EVIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone with a new SRT8 vehicle (me included - 07 Jeep SRT8) knows for certain that the new controllers in those SRT8s are locked down tighter than a frog's ass; NOT very mod friendly in the slightest and I mean even in the slightest.

After reading the Venom controller article, there is no doubt that the new 08 is quite a ways ahead of the 03-06 cars and it should be, HOWEVER I would not count on a very mod-friendly car in the 08 and up. It will be NO different that the SRT8 controllers. Dodge does NOT share any of the SRT8 programming with anyone and even after all these years, the 6.1 SRT8s progrmaming is still a complete mystery and no one has it right yet, when it comes to mods.

The Venom controller is no different. I would not count on Dodge to let even one person in on it's true programming. The EPA is much larger and more powerful than our VCA. It's just not going to happen and the price we paid to have a new Viper, after the 06s.

Before everyone hangs out the ole 03-06 or even puts the ole 06 coupe out to pasture, they better re-read that article and all the ones that come out after it. Dodge saved the Viper with massive amounts of effort, programming, fixes, etc. but the car WILL only be really good in factory form or with approved Dodge upgrades and parts. No superchargers, no turbos, no internal mods, etc. and all the other thinks the modders want to do.

Everyone loves the Viper for the simplicity, but the new 08 is extremely complex behind it's non-cruise control, non traction, non stability control skin. The simplistic nature is fading and fading fast. It really is only a matter of time. These nanny control things are coming and there is nothing we can do about it and they will be mandated fast.

Again, not just because I own an 06 coupe, but there is still something very simplistic about the 03-06 SRT-10s that the 08 is lacking. 08 is an amazing car but it will be the car that started the end of the Viper, the Viper as we know it.

With the 08, someone just flipped over the hour glass. Not a horrible thing, as it keeps our Viper around for another couple of years, BUT the anything goes nature of all cars 92' to 06', goes away with the 08'.

Just MHO.

bwahahahaha.........this post *****

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or maybe you should have a little more faith in Vipers! I was off on the 0-60 times, is even quicker than I remembered. Article follows, read em and weep!:

Not enough? Consider the Venom 650R package that includes all the above hardware and takes it to the next level by way of a stroker short-block: The 522-cube 650R incorporates JE 10.8:1 forged pistons, moly rings, longer than stock Manley Pro forged-steel connecting rods, and a custom-machined stroker crankshaft. A Comp Cams roller cam is employed along with an upgraded fuel system and specific computer programming to deliver a wider powerband with gobs more torque than stock. Independent chassis dyno testing of the Venom 650R verified 587 horsepower and 584 pound-feet of torque measured at the rear tires. That translates to about 690 horses at the flywheel, assuming an industry-standard 15-percent drivetrain loss.

SpecsViper 0-60 3.93, 1/4 mile 11.77 @ 123.63
SRT-10Venom 650R 0-60 in 3.0, 1/4 mile 10.76 @ 128.67

On the highway, the Venom 650R remains docile during cruising--actually even mellower than a stock SRT-10; but at the track, the package is vicious. Running on stock Michelin run-flat 19-inch radials, we drove the Venom 650R to an amazing 10.76-second quarter mile--making this the quickest stock-tired vehicle we've tested. We hustled the 650R to a 3.0-second 0-to-60-mph sprint that beats all-wheel-drive super-exotics like the Lamborghini Murcielago by over half a second. If there's a downside to this performance story, it'll be the hit to your pocketbook, as the 650R package will set you back a solid $34,500. We suggest skipping the Venom 650R badging; let your time slips do the bragging.

Here is the link if you prefer that:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0312_2003_viper_srt10_venom_650r/

Don't believe everything you read in a magazine. Has anyone on this forum run a 10.7 and 3.0 0-60 times on Runflats with anything even close to a 587 rwhp car? Shouldn't a 10.7 in a IRS Viper trap at around 137 mph? Yet the test was report was 10mph low. Perhaps they were pulling 1.3 short times with run flats..

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want one because of the power. Not a huge person on the SRT look but hey, 600HP can change that a bit. I will always love my GEN II and never get rid of it but the GEN IV would be a nice addition. I will be waiting a little while for the price to go down though. I can't afford $90K right now on a car!!!

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't believe everything you read in a magazine. Has anyone on this forum run a 10.7 and 3.0 0-60 times on Runflats with anything even close to a 587 rwhp car? Shouldn't a 10.7 in a IRS Viper trap at around 137 mph? Yet the test was report was 10mph low. Perhaps they were pulling 1.3 short times with run flats..
Sooo....the magazine is lying. Interesting. And what proof do you offer for a 587 rwhp n/a SRT 10?

All we have is what we read besides personal experience. So if you are going to second guess these stats, you might as well second guess everything in every mag you read..so what is the point of reading them at all?

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sooo....the magazine is lying. Interesting. And what proof do you offer for a 587 rwhp n/a SRT 10?

All we have is what we read besides personal experience. So if you are going to second guess these stats, you might as well second guess everything in every mag you read..so what is the point of reading them at all?

I'm just suggesting to look at those running solid 10s and you be the judge. You'll see people here for instance running built Paxton motors with 920 RWHP, 20" street tires (certainly much better than the stock run flats) turing 10.40 1/4 mile times. For the dozens who have SRT10s with a stock Paxton setup and exhaust running 660-670 RWHP, is anyone running 10.7s with stock run flats?

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"bwahahahaha.........this post *****"

Mini-Me; you should know better than to be talking out of the wrong end.

If you do not have anything nice to say, I would stick to trying to take over the world.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just suggesting to look at those running solid 10s and you be the judge. You'll see people here for instance running built Paxton motors with 920 RWHP, 20" street tires (certainly much better than the stock run flats) turing 10.40 1/4 mile times. For the dozens who have SRT10s with a stock Paxton setup and exhaust running 660-670 RWHP, is anyone running 10.7s with stock run flats?
I am not trying to be insulting, but I am thinking you might be new to the forum. Because yes, you will definitely see slower 0-60 times and slower 1/4 times w/ 750 plus rwhp s/c and TT Vipers, slower than 600 rwhp Vipers...because the higher power cars cannot hook up nearly as well as the lower hp Vipers. Yes, the higher powered Vipers will catch the lower rwhp Vipers in a 1/2 or a mile race, but anything over 675 rwhp on street tires actually works against you in Vipers IMO. Some of the TT guys get around this by programming their turbos to only push enough boost in first and second gear for say, 600-650 rwhp, and as you get to 3rd and 4th, they go to like 10-16 psi for maximum power, when traction is no longer a major issue.
In summary more hp does not mean lower 1/4 mile times, and actually unless you make other major changes to tires and suspension, much more hp can actually means slower 1/4 mile times.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not trying to be insulting, but I am thinking you might be new to the forum. Because yes, you will definitely see slower 0-60 times and slower 1/4 times w/ 750 plus rwhp s/c and TT Vipers, slower than 600 rwhp Vipers...because the higher power cars cannot hook up nearly as well as the lower hp Vipers. Yes, the higher powered Vipers will catch the lower rwhp Vipers in a 1/2 or a mile race, but anything over 675 rwhp on street tires actually works against you in Vipers IMO. Some of the TT guys get around this by programming their turbos to only push enough boost in first and second gear for say, 600-650 rwhp, and as you get to 3rd and 4th, they go to like 10-16 psi for maximum power, when traction is no longer a major issue.
In summary more hp does not mean lower 1/4 mile times, and actually unless you make other major changes to tires and suspension, much more hp can actually means slower 1/4 mile times.

I'm somewhat new to this forum, but not as new as you. To say that high HP cars can't hook up as well as lower HP cars resulting in slower times, and more HP = slower 1/4 mile times is BS. A person has to know how to drive the car. Other than that magazine, have you ever see a 580 hp Viper run 10.7s and 3.0 times on stock runflats? I sure haven't. Stop reading so many magazines, learn how to drive and you'll be ok. My Paxton '06 is at ~675rwhp, and I need 250 more just to keep up. Done with this thread, good luck..

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, going to 3:55 or 3:73's actually results in more torque to the rear wheels...which result in more wheelspin. There are many s/c and TT cars that have these taller gears that switch back to 3:07 due to uncontrollable wheel spin. And I raced a 774 rwhp s/c Viper in just about a 1/4 mile back in July and had him by 2 car lengths simply b/c of heat soak and also b/c he could not hook up. So although you have more experience here...maybe I have actual more experience actually reading these threads and actually racing and tracking my Viper. The new 08 ran 11.6 in the 1/4 mile w/ 600 flywheel hp in summertime VA heat. To suggest a 587 rwhp Viper cannot run 10.76 in the 1/4 mile is simply naive. With the right driver and right temp and humidity...these numbers are easily achieved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302