Aftermarket Gen1 & Gen2 Shocks Same?

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to some folks at Penske who said that their 8300 shocks were the same between Gen1 & Gen2. They said clavicle in the rear is the only difference. I didn't get to spend much time on the details. I had thought that Gen1 & Gen2 rears were very different. However, after looking at some of the pictures, e.g. Aldans, they look very similar. Is it possible that the shocks are very similar, with some basic mounting HW being the only difference? Used Gen1 performance shocks are impossible to find, but used Gen2's show up from time to time. It may open up some possibilities for us old school folks.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 2 front shocks are 1" shorter because Dodge moved the lower ball joint from knuckle to a-arm. Fully extended fronts, Gen 2 is 16" and Gen 1 is 17".

Rear Gen 2 is 21" extended eye-to-eye and rear Gen 1 is 18". Of course, Gen 2 rear has removeable straddle foot. To install a Gen 2 rear on a Gen 1 you would have to make a special foot part - not hard to do, but custom. Koni has special valving they can install, and for a while Roe was selling a re-worked OEM shock.

96_shocks.jpg

94_shock_set.jpg

OP
OP
T

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Tom. The photos speak volumes. They must have been referring to the shock bodies and the 'expensive' portions of the shocks.