Aftermarket Radio Installation

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If anyone has ever intstalled an aftermarket radio, I have a couple of questions:

Coming out of the rear of the factory radio, there is a 6-wire harness. The color of the wires are as follows: Orange, Pink, Black, Green, Red/Yellow, and Black/Yellow. I assume that two of these wires are positive (switched and unswitched) and one for ground. Does anyone know what each of these wire are for?

Also, can I plug the four RCA cables going the the amps directly into the pre-amp RCA outputs on the aftermarket radio (if so equipped)?

Kevin M.
'96 RT/10 Wht w/Blue Stripes
You must be registered for see images

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
I recently installed a Clarion Auto PC in my 95 but I don't think the wireing is tha same on the 96. On mine Pink is power for radio memory. always hot. Orange goes to panel lamps and dimmer switch, black and yellow go to park lamp switch output. On mine there is a dark green and red wire that goes to an antena amplifier located behind the headlight switch and is hot only when radio is in on position. Same circuit supplies power to the front and rear speaker amplifiers. You should be able to use the same RCA cables on the new one if it is equiped with them. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
F

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess this is why most aftermarket installers suggest bypassing the factory setup (amps, wiring) and installing an aftermarket amp along with an aftermarket head unit. There is also a RED/WHT wire that supplies "switched" power (radio works when the ignition switch is in the "On" or "ACC" position). The Viper also uses a full 12V signal to act as "turn-on" signal for the factory amps instead of a millivolt signal that is output from aftermarket head units. This makes using the existing amp setup even more complicated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang