Air bag swap for glove box.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever replaced their airbag for a Gen 1 glove box door? I'm thinking about swapping mine out for one or just making a complete unit to set in its place. Just wondering if the door is the same shape as the air bag, I will have to make a box for the actual compartment.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IIRC, the airbag is larger that the gen.1 glove box door. I had to graft a section out of a gen. 1 dash for the door opening into a gen. 2 dash. Studied for quit a while on deciding which way to tackle the problem, that was the easiest and less work than making the hinge parts, etc.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not a good idea at all, as is could make it difficult to sell for Dealers in many States -- or if they did take in trade you could be dinged to replace. Ran into this a year or so back and the problems were a nightmare for all involved. There could be legal concerns as well, so leave it in there , I believe that would be your best bet long term.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there are better ways to get storage but hell... People drove cars before airbags and catalytic converters and all the other crap on today's cars.

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there are better ways to get storage but hell... People drove cars before airbags and catalytic converters and all the other crap on today's cars.

yeah true but back then the cars didn't go quite as fast and the speed limits weren't 70mph (flow of traffic=80mph) Viper occasionally 100+mph. But then again I own a 63 Galaxie 500, no seat belts on this model, I still drive it but scares the heck out of me when I think about my face smashing through the windshield

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand about the safety etc. I dont drive fast or on a track, (still won't prevent a wreck) this is mainly just a show car. I do have an on/off switch for the air bag so I dont see why it's a big concern. I could have a wreck and the airbag could be off, so no help for the passenger.

Resale on the car is worthless to me because I'm not worried about the next guy. It's my car and its already twice the car since I bought it, so anything I did wouldn't be a permanent mod which can always go back to stock. If Gen 1's dont have airbags, whats the harm for a Gen 2?

I will have an aftermarket steering wheel so no air bag for me either. My 2000 Dodge Ram had 2 air bags, and both have been removed. (I know it doesnt have the power of a viper etc...)

Not being a **** about it, just doing something different even though i will always have nay sayers. I have good taste in mods and I work hard to perfect them. ;)

Still up in the air about the mod, so who knows.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah true but back then the cars didn't go quite as fast and the speed limits weren't 70mph (flow of traffic=80mph) Viper occasionally 100+mph. But then again I own a 63 Galaxie 500, no seat belts on this model, I still drive it but scares the heck out of me when I think about my face smashing through the windshield

Speed limits were 70 up until 1974. Some western states had no speed limits depending on area and conditions. And there were plenty of cars that cleared the 120 mark. I did many times during my youth in the 70s.

The biggest safety improvements were seat belts and crumple zones. The rest of this crap - air bags, ABS, TC is overkill. If you're going fast enough to kill yourself none of those things will save you, but a seat belt will.

LS6 Molester

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i might have missed it, but what do you need the space for? from my experience vipers are toy cars and not designed to be DDs like vettes are. when i drive mine i have more than enough room to put my wallet, keys, garage door opener, gate opener, insurance, registration, my attorneys contact number along with my blood type and personal family numbers laser inscribed in a small aluminum card. i also have a **** bottle and NOS octane booster in the trunk. i dont know what else i would be missing :dunno: my phone fits perfect in the ash tray...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i might have missed it, but what do you need the space for? from my experience vipers are toy cars and not designed to be DDs like vettes are. when i drive mine i have more than enough room to put my wallet, keys, garage door opener, gate opener, insurance, registration, my attorneys contact number along with my blood type and personal family numbers laser inscribed in a small aluminum card. i also have a **** bottle and NOS octane booster in the trunk. i dont know what else i would be missing :dunno: my phone fits perfect in the ash tray...

I agree. The little box in between the seats is plenty of room for everything.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instead of a glove box, you should think about putting in a 7" flat screen to play movies from your flip down radio..............................................:D :D :D

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Center storage is a joke, I plan to redo that center section later on with something else if time permits. I've already shaved and filled in the hole for the ash try because I think it looks tacky.

I don't have a lot to store and it won't be a daily driver. Just got a few things in mind I want to do. :)

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instead of a glove box, you should think about putting in a 7" flat screen to play movies from your flip down radio..............................................:D :D :D

:rolaugh: I've a seen tv molded in place of the air before and screens in the visors, but the double din mod will do just that. Not doing that mod for movies, more for navigation with built in traffic updates. I don't like flip out tvs, and they would only block the ac vents ;)

Yeah I know "don't buy a viper for screens, music, comfort etc :rolleyes: :lmao:

I think most people will like my interior mods, if not at least I will :)

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:rolaugh: I've a seen tv molded in place of the air before and screens in the visors, but the double din mod will do just that. Not doing that mod for movies, more for navigation with built in traffic updates. I don't like flip out tvs, and they would only block the ac vents ;)

Yeah I know "don't buy a viper for screens, music, comfort etc :rolleyes: :lmao:

I think most people will like my interior mods, if not at least I will :)

I wouldn't mind having a 7" screen navi with back-up camera too, what do you think would work best and where would you mount it, this is definitely a mod that I would like...:2tu:

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having a 7" screen navi with back-up camera too, what do you think would work best and where would you mount it, this is definitely a mod that I would like...:2tu:

I wouldn't mind the back up camera but I don't think I want to drill a hole for the camera. If I could find one small enough, maybe but it's not that big of a concern.

The only place I would mount one would be in the lower section right about the exhaust in the black slots, but the exhaust might melt it :lmao:

The double din will be fine with me. I've got the Kenwood DNX9960. It was top of line when I bought it, now they have a new one.

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very nice unit, pretty pricey too. Where did you mount it, too big to fit the stock location right???

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very nice unit, pretty pricey too. Where did you mount it, too big to fit the stock location right???

I got it at a discount price at a car show from a Kenwood dealer, for everything it has, it was worth the money.

I haven't installed it yet but I'm working my way up to it. It will go in the stock location but I have to move the ac controls and window switches etc. When it's done it will look factory. :2tu:

It's just going to take a lot of time to get everything right before I post pictures of it.