Air cleaner assembly fasteners

sanguissaevus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The two plastic fasteners on top front of box i think might be jammed on mine. The manual doesnt seem to mention specifics on there removal. Is it a quarter turn and lift or a full threaded application? Ive tried twisting them but they wont budge. Tried channel locks but its starting to mess them up. I dont want to break them or damage them even visually.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Full threaded. It's possible that the plastic knobs are stripped. There is also a third one up front on the air box.

OP
OP
S

sanguissaevus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok then. I'll assume they are not reverse threaded. Maybe some penetrant lube will help then. I think you are right about them being stripped. I mean, the torque on them is just too much for plastic. My chanel locks arent even getting the job done. They are starting to tear at the plastic. Thanks.

Reaction score
Ok then. I'll assume they are not reverse threaded. Maybe some penetrant lube will help then. I think you are right about them being stripped. I mean, the torque on them is just too much for plastic. My chanel locks arent even getting the job done. They are starting to tear at the plastic. Thanks.

If you do destroy the knobs let me know- I'll send some your way.

Good Luck! Doug

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine were both stuck, I used pliers and broke them off and to drill them out, they were rusted tight.

OP
OP
S

sanguissaevus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were rusted and siezed tight. Got them removed with a bit of penetrant lube and channel locks but boogered them up doing so. Tried using a towel to soften the bite of the channel locks but I think it only helped a little. One of them wouldnt let go of the clip nut and ripped trough the plastic shroud on around the radiator it attaches to. Guess i will have to plastic weld it later when i get more time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang