Air Filters, Air Boxes, etc...

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Pulled my K&N's out today just to see if they were ready for a cleaning. Held them up to the sun and was amazed how porous the filter medium was! No wonder they flow so well. A few questions:

How well do they actually filter? (Are we getting our 5 - 7 horse at the expense of engine life?)

How much of the K&N / Smooth tube combo HP gain can be attributed to the K&N's alone?

Given that airflow improvement is the goal here, does anyone know the HP benefit to rain deflector elimination?

Lastly, would a getting caught in a brief rain in a deflectorless airbox cause any issue besides a bit of steam in the exhaust?

Thanks for the comments...

</FONT f>

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are other filters on the market which provide the same flow
as the K&N's, but much better dirt trapping abilities. I use Amsoil filters. They are lifetime and sell for around $25 each.

Steve

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the downside to gaining more flow through use of K&N's. In the off roading world, K&N's are a no-no because of all the dust that gets kicked up. Probably not too much of a worry if you don't see a lot of dust, but they do not filter as well as regular air filters. Getting caught in a brief rain storm can be a worry. Depends on your definition of brief and rain storm.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was my understanding that K&Ns filter better than stock, paper filters. I can't imagine that Chrysler would put air filters on a ACR that are not "acceptable" as far as filtering ability. That would leave them wide open to all kinds of liability.

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Just as a followup, I've sent two e-mails to K&N asking basically the same question regarding filtering ability and specifically asking for details of the SAE tests they quote. So far, no response.

Steve; What is the model number of the Amsoil filter and who sells them?

Ulysses; I agree... dusty environment + K&N's doesn't work.

Matt; Just look @ a K&N and a paper equivalent. No way the K&N filters better.

Big Jim; I also agree. Probably not an issue anyway, I am just trying to understand the tradeoff between wear and performance. Doing a ring job 20,000 miles early for 5 ~ 7 extra horse, for example, might not be worth it to me. I also agree on the rain issue. Besides having to re-oil the filters, I don't see how anything beyond torrential rain would have any impact.

Thanks for your responses. I'll post K&N's comments if they ever respond.</FONT f>

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,just as you've heard before "CROSSING THE STREET IS MORE DANGEROUS"Some people just don't do it.Keep your car stock and sleep at night.PS.I cross the street!I have a warrenty!!
cool.gif

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i probably shold have edited my earlier post. I guess the point I was trying to make was that K&Ns must do an "acceptable" job at filtration..or Chrysler couldn't put them in an ACR at the factory without liability. Futhermore, it would seem to me that if they did not filter well...there would be so much bad publicity that they would be out of business. I too e-mailed them about filtration but have not receive a response.

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Matt, You win the award. You were right and I was wrong.... K&N just responded and based on what they've said, I'm a believer....
</FONT f>

<FONT face="Tahoma">Dear Customer,
K&N filters are oil impregnated 4 ply cotton gauze sandwiched between wire mesh. They are as good as any paper filter and can be purchased at your Dodge dealership under the Mopar label. There are links to the test on our web site at http://www.knfilters.com/images/factstab2.gif

Our filters are tested by an outside, independent laboratory. They have been proven to stop at least 99% of particles on a SAE dust test. This test uses particles as low as the 0 - 5 micron range and goes up to 20 microns.

For comparison, a paper filter also stops 99% on the same test and the OEM minimum standard is 96%. Foam is generally the worst media with a typical efficiency rating of 75 - 85%. To get higher ratings, the foam must be more dense and therefore way more restrictive. The "tack" characteristic of a K&N
allows for increase filtration without loss of flow as well.

The testing procedure used is SAE J-726 using ISO Test Dust. This test is the standard of the air filter industry. The test procedure consists of flowing air through the filter at a constant rate (airflow rate is determined by the application) while feeding test dust into the air stream at a rate of 1 gram per cubic meter of air.

As the filter loads with dust the pressure drop across the filter is increased to maintain the prescribed airflow rate. The test is continued until the pressure drop increases 10" H2O above the initial restriction of the clean element (in this case .78" to 10.78" H2O). At this point the test is terminated. The dirty filter element is then weighed. This weight is compared to the clean element weight to determine the total Dust Capacity.

The amount of dust retained by the filter is divided by the total amount of dust fed during the test to determine the Cumulative Efficiency.

The K&N filter achieved the following results:

Dust Capacity: 305 grams

K&N Cumulative Efficiency: 99.05 %

Holding the filter to the light is useless, pin holes are normal. That is what makes a K&N filter. There are actually hundreds of microscopic fibers that cross these holes and when treated with oil, capture and hold the very fine particles. On the same hand, they allow the filter to flow more air than paper or foam. The filter is 4 ply cotton gauze unlike some competitors synthetic material filters. The synthetics do not have the very small fibers that natural cotton does. Also, the oil can be pulled off of a foam filter contaminating electronic sensors. It will absorb into cotton and stay in the media. In fact, Honda and Toyota only recommend K&N filters when using aftermarket high flow filters as K&N is the only brand of filter
the oil does NOT come off of. They will not cover a failed sensor if foam filters were used.

We got started over 30 years ago making filters for motorcycles and off road racers. The filters did so well that these guys wanted them for their cars and trucks. We started making filters for these applications and here we are today. If they did not work, we would not still be here and growing every year.

We now make filters for Chrysler/Mopar, Ford Motorsports, Edelbrock, Rotax Engines, and Harley Davidson. We come as original equipment on the 2000 Ford Mustang Cobra-R. We even made filters for the Apache helicopters used in Desert Storm because of maintenance problems with the original paper design. If they work in these conditions they will work for you.

Thanks for writing, Rick
</FONT f>

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Ron...you da man!! Thanks for the K&N info...I'll sleep better as we do have a few Snakes breathing through them. Also wanted to thank you for the TIME you spend trying to get the correct answer on a variety of questions AND the time you spend putting the answers into clear, understandable language.
bounce.gif

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Your welcome Steve. I enjoy researching these trivialities and sharing the information. This board has increased my Viper knowledge 100 fold and I'm happy to contribute what I can in return....</FONT f>

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, it's me again.

First of all, I have nothing against K&N. I use them in all my vehicles. I think they work great for street use. I also have no worries about engine wear. As Jim and I pointed out, unless you are in a very dusty envionment, you should have nothing to worry about. My statement was my own opinion based on different studies I have read on various filters.

What I want to say is that you cannot come to a conclusion on efficiency based on one study. Amsoil's own study says that they are more efficient and has K&N rated much lower. Another study I read shows that the K&N's are rated at 95.7% efficiency. The industry standard being 96%. Other studies rate K&N very high. Also, based on my understanding of SAE J726, the dust used is a standard where most of the grains have to be a certain size. Not really representative of the real world where dust can be of any diameter, but we have to have some kind of standard or tests can't really be compared to each other. But one thing I have noticed is that most agree that the OEM paper filter is rated at 99% efficiency.

In conclusion, you should take any study a manufacturer gives you with a grain of salt.