Alignment with 19" wheels

Baddasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alignment with 19\" wheels

Hi All,

Do I need to get an Alignment if I'm changing the wheels size from 18's to 19 inch wheels? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Alignment with 19

I had a ride-height problem with mine -- rubbing on bigger bumps and dips -- but that was mostly due to the wider rubber. The problem was pretty easily worked around with raising the ride height a bit through moving the spring perches up (ACR feature). A new alignment is recommended, but probably not 100%, abosolutely necessary with a small ride height change.

If you don't rub, I wouldn't worry about it.

-Eric

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

My 2 cents. Why go to 19 inch wheels if you have to raise the ride height? I don't understand any mod that lessens performance for cosmetics. Besides I think bigger than 18 inch wheels look stupid on a Gen I,II. Vipers should not look like rap mobiles.

Tommy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think bigger than 18 inch wheels look stupid on a Gen I,II. Vipers should not look like rap mobiles.
Viper w/19" wheels= "rap mobiles"?

To each his own.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My 2 cents. Why go to 19 inch wheels if you have to raise the ride height?

I have 19" wheels and my car is lowered one inch. The 19" wheels definitely do not raise the car if you "plus size", meaning the overall diameter of the wheel and tire is kept the same while decreasing wall height to make up the difference.

I know you said it was your "2 cents" but decreasing the gap in the wheel well really makes the Viper look much more aggressive and doesn't look pimped out when you use 19" wheels.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Alignment with 19\" wheels

Hi All,

Do I need to get an Alignment if I'm changing the wheels size from 18's to 19 inch wheels? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Asif,

How's it going? I didn't have my car re-aligned when I went to 19" wheels and there is no abnormal tire wear after about 8000 miles. If you "plus size" your tires (as I mentioned in my response above) the overall diameter of the tire doesn't change (only a small bit) and therefore the suspension geometry remains the same.

OP
OP
B

Baddasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks a lot guys for your response.

Gary,
How are you doing? I'm getting the VR1's with the michelin pilot sports. What type of tires do you have on yours? Hey Man, I gotta get a ride in your car again. It's a SICK machine. I am getting a intercooler and bigger injectors like yours as soon as Jason is ready. I can't wait

Asif

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gary, what size tires are you running? I don't see how you could "plus size" your wheels/tires with 19 inchers, because the only available rear tire is a 345/30/19, which is over an inch taller than stock. And the sidewall height is actually slightly larger on the rear because the tire is a little wider.

My understanding is you could "plus size" the front wheel/tire, but if you do it's going to be an inch or more smaller in diameter than the rear combo. That's why most people getting 19's seem to be going with 295/35/19's on the front to match the height of the rear so that they're all an inch or so taller than stock. Tell me if I'm missing something here.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gary, what size tires are you running? I don't see how you could "plus size" your wheels/tires with 19 inchers, because the only available rear tire is a 345/30/19, which is over an inch taller than stock. And the sidewall height is actually slightly larger on the rear because the tire is a little wider.

My understanding is you could "plus size" the front wheel/tire, but if you do it's going to be an inch or more smaller in diameter than the rear combo. That's why most people getting 19's seem to be going with 295/35/19's on the front to match the height of the rear so that they're all an inch or so taller than stock. Tell me if I'm missing something here.

Ronnie,

Your right. This is why most people lower their car with the 19" combo. I dropped mine 1 1/2".

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If the 19" wheels/tires decrease the fender gap they must also raise the ride height by the same amount. The advantage is if you raise the ride height with the 19"s then you can lower it back to stock and have decreased fender gap with normal ride height. If the 19" wheels/tires are the same diameter as the 18's they will not change the fender gap.

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What jcaspar1 wrote, ground clearance is 1/2" (.6" actually) higher using 345 rear tires.

I should have qualified my post in saying I had lowered the car from stock heights before I put the 19s on, then lowered it some more after. With larger rubber, there was a problem -- here are some 'before' shots:
28FLVR_jun02_1-med.jpg

28FLVR_jun02_2-med.jpg

Freeway speeds in combination with some of the finer (ahem) roads in northern california could cause all 4 corners to bottom simultaniously, the smell of burning rubber got a little old. But the filling-up-the-fender-thing is working for me.

SnakeAv8r

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My 2 cents. Why go to 19 inch wheels if you have to raise the ride height? I don't understand any mod that lessens performance for cosmetics. Besides I think bigger than 18 inch wheels look stupid on a Gen I,II. Vipers should not look like rap mobiles.

Stupid??? ***??? Don't listen to the old guys. Big wheels and tires are soon going to be the norm. Erics car is printed out and on my garage wall as that pic(among a few others) inspired me to buy my wheels. I've read all the wizards around here with the rap video references...that will not last. Post a pic of your car w/ the wheels soon! Good luck
You must be registered for see images

Nasty 10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Alignment with 19\" wheels

I just ordered HRE's. I went with 18 fronts and 19 rears. I already lowered the car with Eibachs :cool:

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If the 19" wheels/tires decrease the fender gap they must also raise the ride height by the same amount. The advantage is if you raise the ride height with the 19"s then you can lower it back to stock and have decreased fender gap with normal ride height. If the 19" wheels/tires are the same diameter as the 18's they will not change the fender gap.

I agree. I was referring to lowering the car to close the gap.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the Pirelli P-zeros. I believe the sizes I use are:

Front: 275 30 19
Back: 335 25 19

I'll confirm the sizes and let you know if I'm mistaken.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Changing the ride height with the shocks, even the smallest amount, greatly effects the alignment. If you change it, align it. dj

I basically agree that if you change ride height, you probably should get the suspension aligned, however, I lowered my car about an inch and never had it realigned. After about 12,000 miles on the same tires, I don't have any irregular tire wear or notice any drivability issues. Just my experience, YRMV.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll confirm the sizes and let you know if I'm mistaken

Hmm. I didn't know Pirelli made a 335/25/19, but if that's what you have, then I think you're correct, they would be very close to the height of the stockers. Let us know.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Stupid??? ***??? Don't listen to the old guys. Big wheels and tires are soon going to be the norm. Erics car is printed out and on my garage wall as that pic(among a few others) inspired me to buy my wheels. I've read all the wizards around here with the rap video references...that will not last. Post a pic of your car w/ the wheels soon! Good luck
You must be registered for see images

Sorry, but in my old guy opinion ( after all what do we know, been there, done that, lived longer, proven survivors, wiser ) that does not look good and performance is worse. To me they look like bicycle wheels.. too thin spokes, little brake rotors in comparison, and too much open air space within the circumference of the wheel. The wheels do not look solid and powerful like the Viper body. Also, I think the large wheels detract from the overall looks of the Viper. Makes it look like one of those Big Foot trucks with huge wheels and a little body sitting on top of the all important big wheels. Maybe you young guys never forgot about your " Big Wheel " tricycles? I also would not want the extremely narrow sidewalls of a plus sizing negatively affecting my ride quality and grip/launch performance. I also like the fender clearance of the stock setup to deal with real world roads. Burning the tires against the fenders or always having the front end scrap the road due to lowering the ride height to fill the fenders cosmetically seems foolish to me. But then again what do old guys know about being young and cool? Rap on!!! :rolleyes:

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, everybody has their own preference in wheel sizes... but it does look like bigger wheels will become the norm. All the OE's have been going bigger and bigger each year. The aftermarket has always plus sized from the OE's.

92 Viper started with 17"
97 Viper has 18"
03 Viper has 19" Rears...

There must be a good enough reason for the OE's to go bigger. Its a good enough reason for me. I cant wait for my 19s to come in.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry, but in my old guy opinion ( after all what do we know, been there, done that, lived longer, proven survivors, wiser ) that does not look good and performance is worse. To me they look like bicycle wheels.. too thin spokes, little brake rotors in comparison, and too much open air space within the circumference of the wheel. The wheels do not look solid and powerful like the Viper body. Also, I think the large wheels detract from the overall looks of the Viper. Makes it look like one of those Big Foot trucks with huge wheels and a little body sitting on top of the all important big wheels. Maybe you young guys never forgot about your " Big Wheel " tricycles? I also would not want the extremely narrow sidewalls of a plus sizing negatively affecting my ride quality and grip/launch performance. I also like the fender clearance of the stock setup to deal with real world roads. Burning the tires against the fenders or always having the front end scrap the road due to lowering the ride height to fill the fenders cosmetically seems foolish to me. But then again what do old guys know about being young and cool? Rap on!!! :rolleyes:

Yea - looks like crap. :rolleyes:
42Front_Right_Wheel-1-med.JPG

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Yea - looks like crap. :rolleyes:
42Front_Right_Wheel-1-med.JPG

IMO the wheel lips are too fat and the center spokes are too short not extending to the outer edge of the wheel, which actually makes the wheel look smaller in diameter. However, at least you have the solid 546 spokes. Wish HRE made 545 or 546 R Series for the Viper. I would buy those and stay with 18" wheels. Just my .02. No flame intended.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wish HRE made 545 or 546 R Series for the Viper. I would buy those and stay with 18" wheels.

They make them in 19" right now. 18's may be coming later this summer.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gary, what size tires are you running? I don't see how you could "plus size" your wheels/tires with 19 inchers, because the only available rear tire is a 345/30/19.

I'll confirm the sizes and let you know if I'm mistaken.

FYI, I checked my tire sizes this weekend and the sizes I quoted above are correct.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Gary. BTW, from what I gather the Pirellis have been discontinued and are very difficult to find. You may be joining the 345/30 Pilot club after a few more romps in that beast! :)