All Fluids Changed with only 2500 Miles?

BlackVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2000 GTS with only 2500 miles which I bought new. Over the weekend, the serpentine belt came off due to a bad power steering pulley bearing. (Common problem?) The work will be covered by the 7 year, 50,000 mile warranty, as was the rollback ride to the dealer.

Now, the dealer is recommending I change all of the fluids on my car. (Coolant, oil, transmission, rear end) I was planning to have them change the oil, as I do every 500 miles, but I wanted to get some opinions on whether a five year old car with only 2500 miles really needs to have all of the other fluids changed.

The cost for changing the fluids (including the oil) and doing a state inspection will be $840. Sounds like a pretty steep Viper tax to me, but I am more concerned about whether the car needs it or if this will be the last time I give this dealer my business.

Thanks,

BV

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would change all of the fluids in the car but why change the oil after only 500 miles? That makes no sense to me. The engine in a Viper is no different than any other motor plus usually, it is a weekend driver not an every day driver. It seems like a lot of Viper worry to much about changing their oil. If it is tracked then I could see changing it more often but if the car is just street driven, why worry about changing it so often? I just don't understand.

Reaction score
Only 2500 miles....but those fluids are almost 6 years old!! I wouldn't be too happy about the $$$ they quoted...but the advice to change the fluids is good IMVHO. I agree that an oil change every 3000 miles is acceptable, rather than every 500. Heck, you might not even put 500 miles on it a year, so $60 a year isn't all that bad. You DO change the oil yourself, right? :)

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would change all the fluids. The oil in the rear will break down due to the additive (two to three years). The coolant also can turn corrosive over time (change every three years regardless of miles). The transmission oil is more stable, but after five years I would change it to be safe. I used Dextron III recently when I changed mine. With the oil I would change every 500 miles or six months. The reason, oil builds up gasoline which is acidic (the reason it turns black) and can eat away on seals and rings and other metal parts. You should also inspect the condition of hoses, belt, suspension bushings and tires. Rubber ages also regardless of miles and needs to be treated with the right kind of conditioner. Tires older than five years are not considered safe to drive on.

Cars are designed to drive not sit. A low mileage car can have more damage to the engine than a high mileage car if not properly cared for. If you want to store your Viper for six months or longer there are other things you must do to keep you car in great condition.

You should change your fuilds yourself for two reason. One is to of course save money. It cost me $45 for the rear, $8 for the trans, $48 for the engine oil and I got two gallons of coolant on sale for $8. Total $109. Changing your own fuilds will also get you more familar with the Viper and a chance to detail under the car. Futhermore, you will know that it is done right because you did it youself.

Get out and drive the thing more often!

OP
OP
B

BlackVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From what I recall, the general consensus on this board 4-5 years ago was to change the oil after just 200 miles and then, about every 6-12 months regardless of miles. The first oil change was done early during the recommended 500 mile break in period to replace the original oil added at the factory. I waited until 1000 miles for the second change, and then 500 miles for the others, which fell into the 6-12 month time frame.

I put in a 3.55 gear less than two years ago, so the rear end fluid should be good for at least another year. I agree with changing the coolant after 5+ years, but I am still not convinced the transmission fluid needs to be changed at this time. I will call Gerald over at RSI this morning to get his opinion.

Thanks to all who replied.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget about the brake fluid...it absorbs moisture and NEEDS to be changed every two years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery