Am i crazy?

ccoleman88

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok i need some advice here on whether to give up on my dream or not...

I have always wanted a viper, it is my be all end all badass car and realistically, performance aside, nothing does it for me like a viper does.

I recently got a new job and a decent raise, im in no means in a position to buy a 50k vehicle, but i can spend 30-35 on a daily driver. I have never driven a viper and hear all kidns of horror stories about how rough the ride is, how expensive the gas is and how unreliable they are for daily use.

I had always considered them out of my league, and it broke my heart :(

then i saw this one...
1996 RT

now granted the mileage is high, but its affordable and im looking for somethign to fall in love with and a project car is fine. plus at that price i have some $ to play with for repairs/restoration.

The nail in the coffin was when i found out the 96 RT had no rolldown windows, which would really be inconvenient for a DD even in arizona.

For the moment i am keeping an eye out for the deal of the century, however i would like some opinions, am i way out of my league here? shoudl i give up on it?

friends point out corvettes are common for my price range, but they just dont do it for me like a viper...

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Save your money... you'll be ready to get one more to your liking in a year. Plan for it, and you'll enjoy it more. You can also go to a credit union and finance $10k... then pay it off in a year or two. Don't buy a Viper without really knowing what you're getting.

But no... you're not crazy. Where are you located? Maybe some members here have an 97+ they're looking to sell.

OP
OP
C

ccoleman88

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im in tucson arizona, you can imagine why the RT is on top of my list, we get about 2 weeks of top-on weather per year :drive:

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It should come with a soft top also that has side windows you can hook on. Make sure it has. If your like me once you drive this car you'll never be happy in a Vette. Have someone that knows Vipers check this car out for you and if it gets a thumbs up got for it.................seems like a very good price. Let us know what you do.

OP
OP
C

ccoleman88

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It should come with a soft top also that has side windows you can hook on. Make sure it has. If your like me once you drive this car you'll never be happy in a Vette. Have someone that knows Vipers check this car out for you and if it gets a thumbs up got for it.................seems like a very good price. Let us know what you do.

thanks for the advice guys, these forums are great much more friendly than the other ones ive visited.

I think in regards to the 96, i would have to have rolldown windows. that one there comes with a hard top and the snap in side skirt windows, i just dont think i could manage without being andle to put the top on and roll the windows, regardless of how rare the occasion is

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im in the same boat as you, i really want to buy a viper with roll down windows because i am going to be driving the car a lot. I am a vette guy but im afraid that if i buy a viper i will never go back. I think you should wait ( as should i) and a deal will come across that is in your price range. GOOD LUCK ON THE HUNT AND DONT SETTLE UNLESS YOU ARE IN LOVE WITH IT.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all...welcome to the website!

I would tend to agree that the Gen-1 R/T's are probably not ideal daily drivers. With 91K on the odo, you're potentially heading into some repairs that could be costly on that car (not a certainty, but with miles comes wear.) A set of tires for the car are around $1200-$1400. I'm not at all saying you couldn't afford it, but if you're shooting for a lower-priced car to fit it in your budget, keep in mind the other costs that go with it and be honest about whether/how it fits into your budget and what you're willing to sacrifice if it comes to that.

And yeah, it's an 8.0L V10...mileage won't be anywhere near commuter friendly. The ride isn't bad, but it's no Cadillac (the ride is fine for a DD, IMO). I wouldn't say the Viper is unreliable at all...It's a very simple car from a mechanical standpoint. The V10 is a well proven platform, the tranny is identical to the Vette, the diff is plenty beefy, and it's not filled with electronic crap to go haywire on you down the road.

There are some good deals on GTS's these days...not $23k deals, but in the upper $30K's. You might consider holding off for a year and save up and get a car that's really what you want.

Regardless of how you do it...good luck!

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ccoleman88.........do you live in the Phoenix metro area? If so PM me and I can help you out personally to look at a car when you find one!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The first Gen 2 was the 96 GTS, then all the 97-2002s.

I've seen a few go for $29-34,000 that had under 50,000mi. There's a post on here that starts with a 200,000mi. odometer pic. These cars are wo powerful that unless you're off-road they don't get throttled much, so they last a long time. All of the Vipers are reliable with the biggest/ most common Viper problem being just Gen 1 headgaskets (minor problem). Mileage is same or better than any SUV, pickup or perfromance V8. I'm happy with my 20mpg as my 500hp Duster gets only about 14mpg. My 5L pickup gets less than 17. Wife's V6 Escape gets 18mpg.

My Stealth R/T TT gets 25mpg and has 500hp, but it's no Viper and doesn't compare, except to a vette..........

Ted

V

Venomiss

You are not crazy. Only mildly insane from being snakebitten.

Work to make your dream happen. VV-Visualize Viper;)

This ad was brought to you by the newbie recruiter.:rolaugh:Do I get paid for this?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Do I get paid for this?"

Yes, but in Viper Respect. Kinda crazy/mildly insane yourself? LOL

My Uncle informed me that my 'problem' started when I was 2. Stood me up in his MG's driver's seat with my hands on the steering wheel. 4 hours later it took 2 of them (adults) to remove my tiny hands from the steering wheel, I cried for days. Then he made it worse in 65 by taking me for a ride in a 65 Stage 3 Max Wedge. I just haven't been the same ever since.

Ted

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
save a little more money and wait till the SRT-10(2003+) convertables get into your price range or till you can afford one you will be much happier and they are much easier to live with especially if its going to be a daily driver. They are a reasonably practicle with a real and usable trunk, a quick and easy folding top that does not consume the trunk, not lastly the performance is better than the gen 1 and 2 cars

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a DD or your only car, I would not recommend a Viper. Not saying that it does not work as a DD but for it to be your only car??? I drive mine mostly on weekends but have gone week after week of driving it to work, which was fine but......when I want to go food shopping or pick up a tv, etc. the Viper is a stretch. If something goes wrong (not saying it will), its not like you can take it to any shop for repairs. Just my two cents. I would say buy a high miles honda or toyota and then next year get the viper.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOTS of Auottrader ads are fakes. I'd call and see if the car even exists. When I was shopping for a Viper, I'd say 75% of the Autotrader ads were fakes or wrong phone numbers

Have you been spiking the punch again Chad? :nono: Why would anyone take out a fake auto ad? :dunno:

Chad - Is it red with yellow wheels?

Seller - It is excatly that color.

Chad - I'll need the address to come see it.

Seller - Umm, could you just mail me a check instead?

Chad - Are you that same guy from last week?

OP
OP
C

ccoleman88

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ccoleman88.........do you live in the Phoenix metro area? If so PM me and I can help you out personally to look at a car when you find one!

I am actually in tucson, but there is a good chance if i do spot a viper that it would be in phx, thank you for the offer, hopefully i can take you up on it someday!

Thanks for all the opinions, this is a great community.

I've been thinking aong the same lines as some of these posts, perhaps i should be looking for a cheap daily driver to pay off this year, and keep an eye out for a nice viper deal as i save up.

then again im feeling impulsive haha

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are not crazy. Only mildly insane from being snakebitten.

Work to make your dream happen. VV-Visualize Viper;)

This ad was brought to you by the newbie recruiter.:rolaugh:Do I get paid for this?

Of course you do!!! Please see the National Treasurer for a big ol' KISS! :D :D :D

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am actually in tucson, but there is a good chance if i do spot a viper that it would be in phx, thank you for the offer, hopefully i can take you up on it someday!

Thanks for all the opinions, this is a great community.

I've been thinking aong the same lines as some of these posts, perhaps i should be looking for a cheap daily driver to pay off this year, and keep an eye out for a nice viper deal as i save up.

then again im feeling impulsive haha

In my experience, "on the fence" folks like yourself often give in to impulse over logic...it's hard not to when you're staring at a Viper, but I think your plan is a good one. I was DDing a 1997 Ford Probe SE when I bought the Viper (I had a Turbocharged 350Z as well, but that's here nor there). It was great to get in the Probe when the weather was nasty and know that my Viper was safely tucked away in the garage. I know nasty weather is a foreign language there in the land of sun and desert, but there will be other times when having only a Viper will really be a downer and you will think to yourself "man I wish I had a ****** to do this with." That's just life.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
save a little more money and wait till the SRT-10(2003+) convertables get into your price range or till you can afford one you will be much happier and they are much easier to live with especially if its going to be a daily driver. They are a reasonably practicle with a real and usable trunk, a quick and easy folding top that does not consume the trunk, not lastly the performance is better than the gen 1 and 2 cars

Unfortunately, the looks don't quite top the gen 1 and 2... which is why many still prefer them regardless of the money and slightly better performance. Other than that, all of your other points are true.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive driven and spent time in every model gen 1, 2 and 3 starting in early '92, and owned '01 '02 and '03 and would not go back to a gen 1 or 2 especially as a daily driver. Opinions on looks are just that everyones got 1(or two) i actually like the current(gen 3 and 4) body style better, that's just IMHO

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you want a GTS, there is a guy on this thread selling his 97 GTS, its red and well cared for. His screen name is "RobZ" and he lives in Tuscon. What ever car you buy do a leak doan and compression test. other than that the cars are simple and will go for well over 100k miles if cared for properly.

reelsteel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overview for 2003 DODGE VIPER - Auto Guide

There are a few gen3 out there for under 40k. I got an '06 and the credit union would go up to 84 month loans on anything '03 and newer. Check it out and shop around for rates.

Good luck...I was on the fence too, but now that I got mine...I love it and I will drive mine to work everyday that it's nice out.

kpham

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would stretch a little more to go for one that you truly love so no more what-if or I-could-have...:). Twice I have made lesser choice and regretted, ended up paying alot more to upgrade. The drive is really depends on road condition obviously :) Here in California, it's day and night depending on the road you take. I've heard road condition is Phoenix is really good so you should be fine.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive driven and spent time in every model gen 1, 2 and 3 starting in early '92, and owned '01 '02 and '03 and would not go back to a gen 1 or 2 especially as a daily driver. Opinions on looks are just that everyones got 1(or two) i actually like the current(gen 3 and 4) body style better, that's just IMHO

It's "better", but not more attractive. Sure, it's an opinion, but there are a handful of cars that look like the srt, whereas nothing comes close to a gen1-2. Its look is iconic... outrageous, ****, over the top, and even cartoony (which is why it captures every kid's imagination). The SRT's look "edgy" and aggressive. It's nice for what it is, but how many times have you read "Pictures don't do it justice"?

I'd figure if the guy wanted a gen 3, he would've posted in the gen3 forum. :dunno:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960