Andrew's Air Force Base Show - Photo Shoot Interest

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Everyone in the VA/MD area,

So, after getting the idea from the guys up in New Jersey and their "Snakes Under a Plane" event, I think it would be awesome to have a similar event down here in the MD/VA/DC area at Andrews Air Force Base for their Annual DOD Joint Services Air Show. Since this is an air force base, it could be a "Vipers (cars) with Vipers (jets)" event. I was thinking we could try to get to the base before events started, possibly set up a quick shoot before the events started and then either head out for a fun cruise and lunch or stay for the daily festivities. Either way it ended, it might be pretty awesome to have that type of photo shoot.

I don't know if this could be done, but I wanted to gage the interest of other owners in the area. The schedule for this year is 19-20 May, 2012.

If it was okay with our regional president ("Big John" M.), I could try to get this set up. Feel free to post or shoot me a PM if there is any interest in this area or if this has already been tried before.

Thanks guys!

-Dood

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm POSITIVE John would be very happy for you to get some more firm details lined up. I know they like to get the schedules out in March-ish...

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm all in... I have some connections in the airshow community. I'll send you a PM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome! Once I get the go-ahead from John, I'll see if I can work some magic.... but I'm not sure. It is a military show so they could just say "eff off".

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Everyone in the VA/MD area,

So, after getting the idea from the guys up in New Jersey and their "Snakes Under a Plane" event, I think it would be awesome to have a similar event down here in the MD/VA/DC area at Andrews Air Force Base for their Annual DOD Joint Services Air Show. Thanks guys!

-Dood

That was NOT the Jersey club that was your own VA/MD club event here in Delaware. Everyone in the VA/MD club was invited to particiapte, and it was listed here in the forums. We will be doing it again next year again, watch for the announcement. Maybe you'll join us next time.

OP
OP
D

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Slayer, I'll keep you in mind.

I've given up on the "new school" method of trying to get in touch with their public affairs branch of the base via e-mail (and lots of them!) Now, I'm resorting to phone calls. If they won't do it, they could at least give me the courtesy of saying "We cannot accommodate that request".

Sorry everyone. This is being worked.

OP
OP
D

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got a hold of someone at the base!! They seemed very excited about it actually but were hesitant about the plan because they did not want to appear as though they were endorsing our club (understandable).

They said the event information would have to flow up their chain of command for approval and planning, but it looked good!

More to come.

OP
OP
D

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A big bummer came out of trying to plan this event. Read the response I received from the Base's public affairs wing:

"Thank you for following up, and I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. We have taken a look at your request and given the logistics involved, and the moving ground vehicle restrictions we have during an air
show, regulations prohibit us from granting your request. "

Oh well, was a nice idea while it lasted! Maybe some other time.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for trying. Perhaps you can put together another type of event, perhaps a cruise/lunch?

OP
OP
D

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for trying. Perhaps you can put together another type of event, perhaps a cruise/lunch?

I am actually trying to put that together logistically now. There is a pretty decent pavilion right across the street from my house with ample parking to show off cars. I was thinking of having a big potluck BBQ and just hang out with the rest of the owners. Nothing too fancy. I'd like to set something like that up, but I don't know of any "good" places to cruise around here.

John, I'll hit you up with some more specifics in a PM and we'll see if something can work out.

-Brian

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A big bummer came out of trying to plan this event. Read the response I received from the Base's public affairs wing:

"Thank you for following up, and I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. We have taken a look at your request and given the logistics involved, and the moving ground vehicle restrictions we have during an air
show, regulations prohibit us from granting your request. "

Oh well, was a nice idea while it lasted! Maybe some other time.

****! I was hoping this was going to pan out...