another expert review

RobH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/coupes/0511_z06_gt_viper/index3.html

Geeeese. how many times will we read these stupid reviews from stupid everyday people who have no understanding of what it is like to drive a viper on a day to day or week to week basis. for god's sake... they take the car out and throw it around a track, put it up against some good competition, and all of a sudden they are experts on vipers and understand what it is like to own a viper and all that the automobile has to offer. some authorities... they couldn't even get the name of the car right- srt-19??? what the f--- is that??? gee-golly-gosh! you know what... i'm just gonna enjoy every moment in my viper, enjoy all the unbelievable looks it gets, and pay less attention to these morons and their opinions. GOD... get a viper and OWN, OWN, OWN one before you comment on ONE. I don't care who you are or where you come from- buzzing it around the track does not make all that the viper offers as one of America's true sports cars. people should "Own" one first before they open their freakin mouths.

God this is so annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thumbs to my brothers and sisters, and keep smiling at everything you pass:) :2tu:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper has been on the top so long that all these mag people have been just waiting for an opportunity to talk it down. Now is their chance. Then wait for the song and dance when the Gen iv's come out.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't let it bug you. One of two Vipers turned the fastest lap at the SCCA runoffs this year in a field of nearly 30 Vettes. And that was with restrictors and weight penalties. Really puts the value of rags opinions where they belong - zero.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will make you feel better RobH... :cool:

ZO6 vs. Dodge Viper SRT10

The Z06 is defined by its engine, which offers explosive midrange power and torque and a vigorous top-end rush. This great engine makes the Z06 feel quicker than the Viper, which it is, but it also makes it feel twitchier. Tip into the Z06's throttle too briskly in lower gears and its back end snaps loose quicker than you can say " Watch out for that tree" The Z06 has high cornering limits, but those limits are tricky to explore because the car's firm suspention and steering feel strangely elastic, making it difficult to read the messages the tires are sending.
By contrast, Dodge's Viper SRT10- whose motor also commands serious respect and self restriant, responds more linearly to driver inputs, and is a more communicative handler. Like the Corvette, the Viper is capable of throttle-induced wheel spin, but its breakaway is gradual and easily modulated-not the abrupt all-or-nothing snap of the Z06. And the Viper's well-damped steering is delightfully direct, providing unambiguous two way communications between the driver and the front tires. The Viper doesn't suffer fools gladly, but its no-surprises honesty and novices handling allow careful drivers to probe its performance envelope without getting snakebitten.
-Chris Martens

Winding Road Magazine

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<font color="blue"> 2006 Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe </font>

THE EDITORS OF AUTOWEEK
Published Date: 10/17/05
Date in fleet: Sept. 19-26
As-tested price: $86,995
Powertrain: 8.3-liter V10; rwd, six-speed manual
Output: 510 hp @ 5600 rpm, 535 lb-ft @ 4200 rpm
Curb weight: 3450 lbs
Fuel mileage (EPA combined/AW observed): 14.63 mpg/11.26 mpg

Hart: Few other cars I’ve driven give you the kind of rush you get from stepping down ******* the Viper’s throttle. The thrust is impressive as is the rush of sound, from the exhaust and the wind. Steering is quick, and if there are any imperfections in the road they are immediately relayed to you through the steering wheel. The tight bucket seat leaves little room for movement, and when you add all those sensations together you’re left with a uniquely American experience.

I’m glad Auburn Hills still feels it is worth it to build a car like the Viper. It may not be quicker than a Z06, and it doesn’t have the DNA the Ford GT does, but drive the Viper, push it a little bit, and it’s an experience unlike anything else you can find today.

GRITZINGER: They’re crazy machines, these Vipers—race cars for the street with demeanor to match. This car, in contrast, is one I could live with on a daily basis. It’s not quite the full-on race car in road trim the first-generation was, which is exactly why it is a much more driver-friendly, fun-to-drive place to be. It will still make nerves tingle with a mash of the right pedal, the exhaust note is supreme, and the driving experience otherworldly. But this new Viper adds a livable interior, reasonable 360-degree visibility, and a near race-car experience for those who drive on regular highways. This coupe is, hands down, the best Viper I’ve ever driven.

MORRISON: Copy Gritzinger on the “best Viper I’ve ever driven” comment. This new coupe doesn’t feel as rough-and-tumble as the roadster, but it is still a raw, unique experience. If the Viper had hands, it would rip your heart out, show it to you while it was still beating, then devour it right in front of you.

That does not mean the Viper is an uncontrollable spawn of Satan. Spawn of Satan, yes, but you can keep it rubber-side down and pointed in the right direction; you just need a delicate touch. Too much right foot burns the tires in a flash; combine too much right foot (it doesn’t take a lot) with too much or too abrupt steering, and you’ll be headed into oblivion. Cars like the Porsche 911 and Chevrolet C6 Corvette make most anyone look good, but the Viper exposes mediocre talent with less sensitivity than that British clown on American Idol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine