Another extended service plan post

Wayne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Bought my Viper (2002 Yellow RT) on May 13th of this year and received it on the 23rd of May (Bought is out of state).
When I bought it, it had 15XXX miles and was still covered under factory warranty.
I asked the dealer about the extended warranty (service plan) and read some of the posts out on this board and decided it was a worth wile expense.
Although the car is covered until March "05" with factory warranty, I thought for the $1227. for the warranty I wasn’t going to take a chance that the price went up after I bought the car.
Since receiving the car, I put it in the shop to have the center console replaced under warranty as it had a crack on the inside.
While their I asked about their warranty and was told it was only $14??. for a 4/60 with $100. deductible.
I currently have a 4/60 with $200. deductible. Not having owned one before, can someone tell me:
Has anyone used "Primus Care"?
Are these prices typical for extended warranties?
Is there a better warranty available since it is still under manufacturer warranty?
Is 60K miles the max you can go? (I hope to have this car for a long time, and plan on actually driving it)?
Can you get one like what I have now, Bumper to bumper with no deductible and no hassle?
Should I cancel the warranty I have now since I am paying for overlapping coverage or is there a need for overlapping coverage?
Thanks.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Dodge Maxcare Warranty, which can only be purchased while the car is under factory warranty.

It covers virtually everything. Put the two (Primus and Maxcare) policies side-by-side, and see which one covers more parts.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Dodge Maxcare Warranty, which can only be purchased while the car is under factory warranty.

It covers virtually everything. Put the two (Primus and Maxcare) policies side-by-side, and see which one covers more parts.

Agreed. It will cost you more (mine cost $1,500+ with $100 deductible) but it covers everything. I got the 7-year 60,000 plan from Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Dodge.

JKNUST

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I was recently told that you can get the MaxCare within 48 months of "in service dat"e (the surcharge list price being $500 when adding from 36 - 48 months). The factory warranty is 3/36? So it sounds like you can get the factory DC MaxCare up to a full year AFTER the factory warranty expires. Someone correct me if wrong... and I will check with my source.

If this is wrong, I'd like to know, as I will be buying a MaxCare on my 01/02 Viper if it does not already have it at time of purchase.

Thanks!

Woody

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy a MaxCare Service Contract on any new vehicle as long as the vehicle is within BOTH 48 months and 48,000 miles of the original in-service date. The Viper has a Specialty Vehicle charge of $525 (this may not be exact but is within a few dollars). There is also a surcharge of $100 for every 12 months or 12K miles with the max being $300. Here is a breakdown: Over 12K miles or over 12 months from original in-service date = $100 surchage. Over 24K miles or over 24 months from original in-servcie date = $200 surcharge. Over 36K but not more than 48K or over 36 months but not more than 48 months from original in-service date = $300 surcharge. Once the vehicle goes over 48 months or 48K miles a new vehicle plan cannot be sold. At this point dealers are not authorized to sell any type of service contract. However, if the vehicle is being retailed by a dealership, the new owner can purchase a service contract at the time of sale. I highly recommend purchasing a service contract. I see situations every day where people get there money's worth in one trip to the shop. This is especially true with vehicles like Vipers! Let me know if you need some pricing.

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update on current Maximum care prices, RETAIL PLANS
plans sold beyond 36 month or 36,000 miles, surcharge $500
Specialty Vehicle class 2 surcharge $1100
Plans available up to 7 years or 100,000 miles.
Prices current from November 2003.

Woody

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vipr gts

You are correct on the surcharge of $1,100 and the surcharge of $500 if you are talking Retail:( Unless you live the State of Florida, most dealers will work with you on service contract prices. In Florida, Dealers are required by law to sell service contracts at the Suggested Retail price.

OP
OP
W

Wayne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With that being said, does that infer that you can buy an "additional" 7 years of coverage from the time the 3/36 factory expires?
The one I have now, runs concurrently with the factory until the factory expires.
I think I will cancell that one and pick up one just before the 3/36 expires (March 05) and get the longest duration available. I was told that 4 yr. unlimited miles was the max...is that just for Primus Care?
I would love to have an additional 7yr/70K miles.
This may well be the car I keep long enough to enjoy that service contract...LOL

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you buy a plan from one dealer but have the car sercviced at another dealer w/o buying the warranty from that dealer, won't he have a disincentive to give you the best service?

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wayne: your are not interpreting correctly. You can not buy an additional 7 years and 70,000 miles from Chrysler at the end of your current contract. Maximum Care can be bought by eligible vehicles within 48 months or 48,000 miles BUT not for an additional 7 years and 70,000 miles.
your choices are narrowed at this point, Chrysler charts go to a maximum of a little over 100,000 miles in some instances, but this is total not additional miles.

Woody

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are working with a QUALITY dealer, they will give you the best service regardless of where you purchase your service contract or vehicle. Money is Money and service contract work is Money for any dealer. Also, a good experience in service will greatly increase the chances that you will want to do other business with them in the future.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne, the Dodge Max Care / Added Care plans are not overlapping with your factory warranty, they are extensions beyond them. Thus, if you buy a 7 year, 100k mile one (like I have), the 7 year, 100k is inclusive of the factory 3 year, 36k, and effectively extends your factory 3 year 36k to 7 year 100k. They are well worth having, and I am unaware of anything from Dodge that will go beyond those #s for the Viper. Note, you also get to choose between Max Care and Added Care (Max covers more, what the differences specifically are, I don't know) and your deductible ($0, $50, $100 - $0 may not be available anymore though, but from my experience, it is well worth it, because you can go buy any time you have any issue and not worry about a charge).

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now you guys have me thinking about this too.

My factory warranty goes until July 05. I was planning on extending it but not until next year (why part with the cash any earlier than I have to). HOWEVER, what are the chances the extended warranty prices will go up substantially by next year? Everyone says they are well worth it. If DC realizes how much they are paying out on these, will they raise prices? Perhaps I'd be better off to lock something in now.

From the above posts, sounds like prices are somewhat negotiable, except in Florida?

Last question. No discussion on warranties would be complete without some input on DC honoring the warranty on a car with mods. Have they historically been "reasonable" in honoring warranties on cars that are not, well, stock?

Woody

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as price increases, that is a definate possiblity. You can purchase a service contract on 12 months interest free, which would lock you in to a current price and not have to shell out the full amount up front. What a deal :D

OP
OP
W

Wayne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, I was told by the selling dealer (in Fl.) that my Primus Care started the day I bought it.
The car is still well within the factory 3/36 coverage and since I did buy it out of state, I am not likely to take it to FL.to have it serviced unless I happen to be driving to FL.???

My real goal here would be to extend the "coverage term" factory or otherwise, to the maximum.
I also would prefer a $0 deductible.
$100. was the lowest I could get with the current plan.
Since my car was from a used speciality car place rather than a Dodge dealer, maybe I am better served to cancel the Primus Care and buy the Max Care from my local Dodge dealer who services it now.
???
Does anyone know this Primus Care co. :confused

Woody

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to get rid of the Primus Care and buy the DC Maxcare. I have never heard of Primus Care, but I am very confident in the coverage of DC.