Another puff of smoke story

Viper Blade

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2000 ACR, 15000 miles. I was playing around with my car rolling it up through 3rd and 4th to 4500 rpm after a Viper club run. :drive: Couldn't get the spirited driving out of my system. Running quickly out of room I had to swiftly stop including downshifting and got a very large puff of blueish white smoke upon stopping. Never seen this happen before and I've owned the car for 6 years. I have read here that it could be valve seals or it is not uncommon to **** oil into one of the cylinders through the intake. Read quite a few posts on it. Just too eliminate a failing head gasket I checked the oil for water in it and for water in my oil. Everything was good. I ran a compression test and there is less than a 1% difference on the cylinders. The plugs all looked very good. Three plugs appear to be just ever so slightly richer than the rest. It's like comparing egg shell white to a slight, slight tan in a small area of the other 3 plugs. I checked for gas bubbles in my coolant catch tank while it idled. There are no leaks, drips, or errors. Exhaust smells clean. I Even opened the air cleaner and found no oil in it or on the filters. Then I got to thinking. I just had my oil changed. I checked the level and I was about a quart and a half over full. The oil level was completely covering over and then some the "FULL" lettering on the stick.

I'm thinking that the puff of smoke came from too much oil in the engine and it did get sucked through the valve stems. I'm not too confident on the oil through the air intake theory. Help me sleep at night, do you think it was just too much oil in the system and it should be fine now that I lowered it. I have ran it hard since then and nothing, no smoke at all. Engine idles fine etc...

By the way new Mustang GT's though spankable are quicker than you think. How would I know that?
Thanks

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
never ever overfill you oil- forget about the oil puff- its just a strange happening- correct you oil level and move on, and forget about it cause their is nutin wrong

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Normal under hard braking. Oil fills the valve covers and spills forward as you brake to the front where you have a kind of vacuum to **** the fumes from the engine.

Excessive oil sucked into the engine will bring down the octane rating in a hurry and could harm it. If you plan to track the car at all, think of getting a Oil catch can to keep this from happening again.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had this problem, I was sprinting the car down a Airfield runway a couple of times then breaking really hard to avoid the grass at the end of the tarmac :D
Then drove back to the paddock and switched the car off. There was no cool down lap :( About an hour later when it was time to leave the event I started the car up and could hardly see behind me!

Its to do with slamming on the breaks hard, the oil gets into the valve covers and then flows back into the throttle body intakes, as others have said, fit a catch can set up

Tony has been doing a How To guide, the kit looks rather good :) http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/647316-DIY-Breather-System-from-AC-Performance

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that's fairly normal, the first time I did that in my 2000 it scared the crap outta me. After a very hard brake when I accelerated smoke billowed from the tail pipe, I was told that the oil gets sucked into the intake mani then into the motor to be burned off. No permanent damage and was back to running like normal in a few minutes.