Any suggestion for Cancun?

GTSTF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just got back from there. i stayed at the Marriott Casa Magna -very nice. what to do? lay out in the sun, drink, and check out the women. go to Senor Frogs. DON'T take taxis - too expensive. there's only 1 road there and busses run up and down it all day and nite - only 6 pesos. across the street from the Marriott is a seafood place called "Joe's." try it, it's great. BTW, $1 ~ 10pesos right now, so don't be surprised when you see meals costing $300 (it's only 30 USD)

GTSTF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, in the airport b-4 you go thru customs, there will be people from a company called "Green Line" that will try to get you to use their taxis or shuttles. walk right past them - they're expensive ($40 U.S. for a taxi or $18 U.S. per person for a shuttle.) once you pass thru customs, there are plenty of other shuttle and taxi companies that you can shop for a ride to your hotel. speaking of shopping, if you do any, don't settle for the first price the seller says. break out your haggling skills.

GTSTF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i also heard that the ruins are a definite must see if you're there long enough. i didn't see them, i was only there for the weekend and spent the entire time on the beach. when hanging on the beach drinking, remember hotel drinks are $$, you're better off buying a cooler and beers at a liquor store and BYOB on the beach.

OP
OP
W

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ur awesome. thanks for the tips. we will be staying at the jw marriott resort, i guess they are attached. then through valentines day at the Westin. any other tips would be appreciated. oh........best place to take her there for valentines dinner??????

thanks,
chan

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stayed at the Marriott Casa magna a few years back and found the hotel to be quite nice. The hotel area where it is located is a bit much - a concrete jungle. I am going back to the area in March and will be staying south of Cancun where it is MUCH more relaxing.
If you are going to be driving when you are there remember to always have at
least 200 pesos on you for bribing the police! Bribe them or they will take your licence and have you come to the station and get it later that day :eek: :eek: you may never be seen or heard from again!

OP
OP
W

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no driving for me. ill take the bus. if u all dont hear from me after feb. 17th, then, i might be in trouble.

chan

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh........best place to take her there for valentines dinner??????

Haven't been to Cancun in a while but check to see if a restaurant called "Bogarts" is still around in the Crystal Cancun Hotel.
Morroccan decor like in the movie "Casablanca" and they will place pillows under your ladies feet at the table during the meal. Very romantic atmosphere and very good food.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cancun is divided into 4 areas.
1. Commercial strip, much like Miami Beach. Great hotels, bars, beaches, and huge social life. Party City!
2. The City. A real Mexican community with Churches, great restaurants, schools etc. Not touristy, but genuine.
3. Nature. South of the strip, on the way to the ruins of the pyramids at Tulum, just past the beach city of Playa del Carmen, is the nature preserve of XEL-HA (pro..show-haaah). You can swim in 1/2 salt and 1/2 fresh water. Great relaxing day. Here you can also swim with Dolphins, (very romantic).
Underground rivers come to the surface in Cenotes. Great swimming, in natural fresh water springs, (bring mosquito repellent).
Next to the ruins of Tulum (hire a guide) is a fantastic beach. Don't miss it.
On your way back from Talum, don't miss the Buena Vida beach bar in North Akumal. Have a cold beer on the beach chairs or join with the locals sitting in swings at the bar.

4. The Jungle. A tiring, all day trip to Chitzen Itza (tourists call it "Chicken Pizza". A huge pyramid found in the jungle. If you can still climb to the top, it is scarry walking down.

Enjoy your time in Cancun. Don't spend all the time on the strip.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must hit the foam parties at Tequila Boom, Daddy O and Daddy Rocks.

If your into R and R Cancun is not the place to go, although the time of year plays into that.

Had the police after us after meeting some girls and going back to the Costa Real, the girls we're staying there. No visitors allowed and we were toasted up and ran by security, not good.

Brother jumped out the window and hide in flower boxes, not all that safe, being on the 5th floor, haha....
I bolted when they came in sirens blaring and ran out the back down to the water and stumbled back to my place, Blue Bay Village. Funny stuff, just trying to meet some new people, geez!

Try Scuba diving as well for $20 bucks, no instruction needed. me - "At what PSI should I start to come back up" guy that took my money - "You'll be okay, don't worry". Nice.

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moon palace is an awsome place to stay. Great service if you want all inclusive. I stayed a the Fiesta American Coral Beach, it has been a few years since I have been their but it was great and right next to Christines a Dance bar that opens at 11 pm.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try a day at Paamul. Show up & dive or snorkel, no experience required. The guy is from Texas, near Houston so he speaks English. Rent a car. Go see Coba, the ruins in the jungle with no guide. (it's the tallest) Stop by "The Marina" in Playa del Carmen, and cruise down to the Tequila Barrel & ask Helen where the Captain is serving drinks that night, hopefully on the beach. Cheap hotels, $28 per night, remote control A/C, full english cable, clean, new tile floors are available when you show up, just ask Captain. If you are real adventurous, rent a jeep & plan opn riding down to Punta Allen; it's 60 miles down a dirt road & takes 5 hours to reach the peninsula's end. Pablo Escobar has an abandoned "house" on this road. There is a remote fishing village there & rustic huts to camp out of. TAKE BEER with you & go fishing.

Leave Cancun as quickly as you can.

If you ever need tips for an 1100 mile Baja trip, I got some of those too.

MOZART

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JUST GOT BACK LAST NIGHT. OUR MAIN ACTIVITIES WERE LYING BY THE POOL. SENIOR FROGS AND JIMMY BUFFETS MARGARETVILLE WERE FUN.THE TAXIS ONLY COST US $8.OO TO GET DOWNTOWN. THE BUSSES WERE 60 CENTS BUT WE FOUND THE CABS MORE CONVENIENT. SINCE A PESO IS WORTH A DIME IT'S SIMPLE TO CONVERT PRICES FROM PESOS TO DOLLARS THE NATIVE FLEA MARKETS DOWNTOWN WERE FUN.DOLLARS WERE ACCEPTED EVERYWHERE. WE STAYEDAT THE GRAND OASIS BUT ALL THE HOTELS ON THE STRIP LOOKED GREAT. BOB ADIOS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456