Any suggestions on how to lower the temp from redline in the hot climate?

Patrick99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems like any time I take out a viper during the day here in Arizona the temp gauge is right before redline. I already blew a head gasket in my 98 last summer during the heat. It seems like every summer the cars runner hotter and hotter. I basically never take them out during the day but even out 10:00p.m. the temp is past the last bar right before the redline bar. Even on the highway in 6th. I did a search and looked at a lower thermostat but some people on this board said its not worth wild. Shouldn't the temp be around 190? Thank You

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burp cooling system first and see if that makes it better. If not, then consider upgrading your cooling system. Water wetter isn't going to help make your car run cooler.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Running that hot on the highway? That ain't good. I'm usually well below the 190 point after a few mins of highway cruising.

Definately burp the system... instructions for doing so can easily be found around here. We had several days of 95+ degree heat here in Philly and even in heavy stop-n-go traffic, my gague never sat on the redline for more than a few seconds after the fan came on.

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something is wrong.

Most warm weather Vipers I know have no problems in 100+ degree heat with the AC full on.

180 degree thermostat
bigger radiator

These will help if nothing is wrong. Have you checked your water pump recently? I can't get my car to redline on the temp. and I race with the windows up and AC on (I'm a wimp).

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Any suggestions on how to lower the temp from redline in the hot climat

Patrick>>my 98 runs fine here in Phoenix even on a super hot day. Good advice as far as eliminating all the air from the cooling system goes. That would be my first move. I'm not sure if there was an issue with your year water pump, but it warrants asking. These cars come with 195F thermostats they tell me. Should run somehwere in that neighborhood with no problems. Perhaps you could talk to Eddie M. about it. Just a thought. pete the ex glass guy
PS>>>not that you need one, but Ron Davis Racing here makes a beautiful radiator. Just put one in my other car. Nice.

OP
OP
P

Patrick99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I guess my next thing I should do is try and burp the system and see if that solves the problem. I probably should talk to Eddie. Maybe he can do something about it. He's the one that replaced my head gasket. Thanks again.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

hey Pat,

a trick I ran, other than 2 bottles of water wetter is cutting the Glycol % down to 25% for anticorrosive only and then run 3/4 distilled water. Water is a MUCH more efficient at pulling the heat away from the motor.

In the fall drain a gallon and go straight antifreeze for the storage months, forcing yearly cooling flushes come springtime when it's time to get back down to 25/75 mix.

Works for me, been idling in 90 degree heat in gridlock and so far so good!

Best of luck,

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i swapped out the stock green and completely flushed the system...
then went with dexcool (orange stuff from Prestone) engine temps are lower!! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinusbeats