Any Viper racers also run open wheel?

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone other than Jesse Reed runs both a Viper and an open wheel of some sort in SCCA or other club level venues.

Would be interested in your thoughts on how they compare.

Jeff

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been through the Bertil Roos F-2000 schools and was going to run their race series this season but just couldn't get the free time to do it. Perhaps next season.

I was hooked on Formula right away...(Blame goes to Woodhouse & Pemberton who got me started last year at VIR) it took a bit of seat time to get the feel of the car but the precision and the open cockpit leaves me with a big smile everytime. Like airplanes seat time, seat time, seat time will improve your skill and enjoyment. It's a different feeling in many ways from running enclosed cars...harsher maybe...but whtever it is I just love it. The recommendation I had was to sign up for an arrive & drive series before buying a Formula car...run the season and see if I wanted to make the comittment to actually buy the car, trailer etc.etc....good advice.

I recommend Bertil Roos school...real race driver instructor types...very hands on..best wishes & have fun.

Paul :usa:

N2 Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I race a 1963 Lola Formula Junior in Vintage car racing. It weighs a total of 900 lbs ready to go! As you can imagine it has a totally different feel from the Viper. You drive much deeper into the turns, it is much more tossable. The shift throws are much closer and more precise. I don't use the clutch upshifting. The main difference is keeping the rpms up, it is a dog below 5500 rpms. It really keeps your concentration, but is much more rewarding when done properly. I'll be racing in the Monterey Historics next week.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4