Anybody Have Signatures in their Front Cowl?

Machtwo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 GTS and when I removed the front cowl for some work on the car, I noticed what appears to be dates & initials. Maybe the guys that built it? Anyone have similar or know about this?

You must be registered for see images attach

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Might be semi-typical as a lot of places will have quality marks and stuff like that on various parts, though seeing so many on the same part is a little odd. Could be that they marked as subassemblies were installed as well, but would have imagined it would have likely been done by the same person for the same overall part the way Vipers were built. I know I have dates on the back of several of the large plastic pieces on my gen 3, but no names to go with them necessarily. Sometimes you might get something like a VIN or build number reference on them as well.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my collection on my 2001 RT/10 fascia...

Attachments

• 2001 Fascia Autographs - 1.jpg
    2001 Fascia Autographs - 1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 2001 Fascia Autographs - 2.jpg
    2001 Fascia Autographs - 2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 2001 Fascia Autographs - 3.jpg
    2001 Fascia Autographs - 3.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 2001 Fascia Autographs - 4.jpg
    2001 Fascia Autographs - 4.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
Machtwo

Machtwo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks @LifeIsGood. Initials and a date. Joyce was clear :eek:) I'm surprised there is no record of why. Quality control? Build stage sign-off? Or did they just know each build was special and signed each car?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I would largely guess quality control, part staging, and maybe even revision control to some degree. These were small batch cars with only a few thousand parts build, maybe even only a few hundred if you go by revision level of each part. For the most part you expect any part to fit any year of the same respective design, but say you had something like a Mamba with unique trim or even just two different colors that were similar for exterior panels. The numbers might just help to keep track of which part goes on which car. Do any of your numbers remotely resemble any portion of your VIN maybe? Might also be a build/production order number, as the cars weren't always built in sequential VIN order.

Kind of like all the paint marks on classic cars that people look for at judging events. I know you can still see the odd bit of color on some bolt heads of my 71 Vette for the original pens, but they are pretty few and far between on mine as it's nowhere near a concourse style car, just a driver.

Jreu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny, i just posted this on ViperAlley asking the same question: here are pics of mine. I noticed the signed dates are a few months after my March 2000 production date, so either i have a factory replacement or my car sat for a while in production.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21