Anyone Buy a DRBIII Scantool? Autotap?

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever buy one of these?

Will it work on all GTS?

Is this the only scantool that the techs use? In other words, is this the engine scan tool also?

Has anyone used the Chrysler Autotap on Vipers?

DonMc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
went to dyno with a friend who had an autotap...tried to use it on my 00 acr...the recording sessions did not take...it did however clear dtc codes..so i guess it depends on what ya want to do with it...i want to spend some more time with it before i part with my money...first impression is that it works lots better with corvettes than vipers

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased my own DRB3.With it you can use it on anything chrysler from 83-02 with the proper super cards and cables all of which can be had for only $3900.00.You will still need to get in good with you tech at the dealer because we recieve updates about ever 2-3 weeks.Nothing to buy for the update just a few minutes hooked up the mds2.What a deal.It will also read obd2 info on all 96 and newer cars of any make.I'll be a VIR with mine if anyone has any problems of questions.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I am assuming too much, but if a person were to pay the price to own one of these, shouldn't that entitle that person to any upgrades/updates on software. Not so? If not, I don't see how they could sell them to the general public without supporting them. Well I guess I could see how they could sell them, but how could they be of any value. Unless of course you have to pay additional for support.

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The DRB III is not sold to the general public, and Chrysler dealers get their update through a subscription. Someone knows someone.

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom is a Viper Tech and a good friend to the NC Region. He bought his own DRB so that he could diagnosis cars on his own time and at events such as Viper Days. We're extremely lucky to be able to have Tom as a friend and tech....

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lawyers are already addressing the accessibility problem....

SB1146 passed in CA which gives:

1) Car companies must make all manuals, TSBs and training material regarding emissions-related systems available to the aftermarket as well as to their franchised dealers.

2) Car companies must make enhanced diagnostic tools and the information necessary to include enhanced diagnostic capabilities available to the independent aftermarket.

3) ,,,, must make available ... ability to reprogram computer chips on .... vehicles.

4) ... car companies may not use any access or recognition code, or any type of encryption for the purpose of preventing the vehicle owner from using an emissions related part that has not been manu'd by the car company. (This, however, exempts the ECU and Transmission control module.)

5) .... must provide initialization procedures for anti-theft systems ....

6) .... must provide all at a "fair, reasonable, and nondiscriminatory" price and in a format that is readily accessible to everyone in the aftermaket.

Further CARB will be on their but if they don't comply. (I wouldn't want to be them....)

This is expected to flow into all the other states.

The next year should be interesting.

(Of course, The Aftermarket, may try to keep things secret from us owners just like the manu's. I suppose there will be some certification process to acquire Aftermaket Status.....)

This will probably result in a big mess....

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see a problem to with the definition of "Aftermarket."

I would expect them to "milk" us just as badly as the manufacturers.

However, we will all have a better chance at getting this stuff thru our personal connections which now have been expanded probably 2 orders of magnitude.

The Bottom Line: Is it worth getting a DRBIII? Especially for troubleshooting VTSS? I don't have my 96 GTS shop manual yet, but the one for my 2000 offers no help in diagnosing it. I suspect there are manuals which are "not available" that are used by VTs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456