Anyone Change Color of Vert Top?

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How hard is it to go about changing the vert top color? Do they cover over the existing material?
I would like to see pictures of those who have done it. Appreciate it!

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's not what I'm thinking, Id buy a coupe if I wanted that. Looking for a body match or different color top! Thanks

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will need to replace it with a new one in the color you want if its available or Some custom upholstery and top shops can cut and sew a new one but its not cheap plus you'll need a new backlight for them to fit if you go that route. New tops are usually replaced on the current frame and they use your existing seals if they're still good.

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the Gen. 4 convertibles with a tan interior only come with a tan top?? Wasn't the tan only offered on the 2010s?? Anyone know??

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So there's no way to cover up over existing material? Or to dye it perhaps?

I think I saw a silver or white top on this forum but the member didnt answer me on how it was done.

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its black (which I suspect it is) dyeing it would be out of the question unless you bleach it.. But then it would probably rot. For the answer to your other ?s read my post above on what you can do. As far as covering it... Good God :omg:. Might as well cover the dash in duct tape too while your at it and add some curb feelers and maybe a trash bag duct taped over the side window. Oh...those little stick on reflectors look cool too. If you do want to cover it you would need some really thin material, (so it can still be folded down) maybe that vinyl shelf liner stuff they sale at the Home Depot would work? The paisley print goes with everything. :2tu: Good Luck

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a new top built in any fabric and color you choose. This is your ONLY option.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen the tan top and IMO, yuck. I'm a vert lover and the only color tops I've seen that "work" for me, are the blue matched top that BMW does. They do a good job. Can't imagine a color in contrast to the body other than black. But, see if you can find a vert top specialty company near you to consult. I found one for a previous car that needed a new top and they seemed quite capable of doing anything, although it can get a little pricey, but I can't imagine coloring a black top working. Good luck, keep us posted.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
something I guess not many have done. I wish I remembered the forum members name who had a matching color top
Dont have the guts to bleach or dye. I think a dark blue would look awesome on white or white on white.

Any how if I find out anything cool in my search I will let you guys know.

Green Venom thanks for all of your ricer comments. I know it must seem like I am trashing the car but I dont think that is the case, just trying to be different and hope to tastefully mod the car, mainly leaving it stock.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canvas tops are multilayer, you cannot bleach them and dyeing them is not advisable. Blue, among many other colors of canvas is available for Porsche, Corvette, BMW and Mercedes, find either online or local upholstery shop that does custom tops and no doubt they will make you one, chances are decent they may have a pattern for Viper. If they do not have the pattern, find a beat up top on a junkyards and they can copy it.

I think the German canvas is called Sonneland. Just make sure to find qualified shop to do the install afterwards if you get one online.
something I guess not many have done. I wish I remembered the forum members name who had a matching color top
Dont have the guts to bleach or dye. I think a dark blue would look awesome on white or white on white.

Any how if I find out anything cool in my search I will let you guys know.

Green Venom thanks for all of your ricer comments. I know it must seem like I am trashing the car but I dont think that is the case, just trying to be different and hope to tastefully mod the car, mainly leaving it stock.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would look killer on white!
I had it done ob a porsche in the past. Looked killer for a while but after a few months, until some bird droppings and bugs landed on it, in retrospective, I would never do it again-white top is a dumb idea, just like a tan top. Dark colors are fine but then you would have to have a custom boot cover made to match the top, if you really want the custom look.

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem, just having a little fun with ya about you wanting to cover your top, reminded me of a 74 Ford Maverick I had with the cheap plaid seat covers that tied on, was teased relentlessly about those by my now wife plus I worked at an auto parts store close to the inner city and would see all the "modifications" that was popular in the early 70s. Personally I think black looks best on white especially with a black interior. I have seen a white Maserati GranTurismo with a dark wine red top and interior and a white 360 Ferrari with a grey top and interior, both were at Naplesmotorsports.com, saw in person not long ago, gorgeous. check out their website, may still be on there. As far as white on white just doesn't look that great on the camaros and vettes I've seen. Dark blue is nice too. Don't know if you have a mamba or not since its white but the right shade of red could look good with that interior, if you have an all black interior a dark grey would look good IMO. Whatever you want though can be done just need the right convertible top shop. Good luck and let's hear and see what you decide.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good God . Might as well cover the dash in duct tape too while your at it and add some curb feelers and maybe a trash bag duct taped over the side window. Oh...those little stick on reflectors look cool too
You just described 75% of the cars on the road around here.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost up there with the guys who wanted to put snake eyes on their headlights... enjoy it how it is or get a color matched hard top. Just sounds awful.

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
something i guess not many have done. I wish i remembered the forum members name who had a matching color top
dont have the guts to bleach or dye. i think a dark blue would look awesome on white or white on white.
any how if i find out anything cool in my search i will let you guys know.

Green venom thanks for all of your ricer comments. I know it must seem like i am trashing the car but i dont think that is the case, just trying to be different and hope to tastefully mod the car, mainly leaving it stock.

dark blue would look awesome on your car---hope you find it! Custom made top, here you come. $$$$

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost up there with the guys who wanted to put snake eyes on their headlights... enjoy it how it is or get a color matched hard top. Just sounds awful.

I would have to disagree with you

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow that looks nice, is it a de-badged grand sport? Would look insane with some 19&20" HREs and slammed

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow that looks nice, is it a de-badged grand sport? Would look insane with some 19&20" HREs and slammed
No, this is 427 convertible, brand new from the factory. This car has matching interior as well and stock 19/20 rims.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new "Heritage" package right? What do you mean by matching interior? I dont care for the rims, needs some deep dish HREs!

Looks so clean, love the unique top color of course. Thing is you could just buy nice a 05 Vert for 25k, have the color top changed, put on the wide body fenders, some HREs, all bolt ons with a tune and be in it for 35k with basically the same thing! I have a feeling this car costs $60k or more

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a neon orange convertible on an eclipse last week, it looked awesome. (I'm a big fan of crazy colors like that). Wish I had gotten a picture though.

I think it would look nice if you did a white or blue top. Post pics if you get it done!

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new "Heritage" package right? What do you mean by matching interior? I dont care for the rims, needs some deep dish HREs!

Looks so clean, love the unique top color of course. Thing is you could just buy nice a 05 Vert for 25k, have the color top changed, put on the wide body fenders, some HREs, all bolt ons with a tune and be in it for 35k with basically the same thing! I have a feeling this car costs $60k or more
Well yeah, you can buy a viper replica car as well or buy knock off ACR stuff for a viper and pretend you have a real ACR or you can put coupe rear end on it. This car is called 427 because it has Z06 motor and most of its mechanical components in a convertible body and it is an OEM model. This is the reason why the car has Z06 body panels. Matching interior means the interior color matches the top and the exterior color. If you put a blue top on a white car and keep black interior, it will look like ass, at least IMO.

Last edited:

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it depends, if you match the top to the interior, like this car and car has blue stripes, then it may look pretty cool. Any other way, I would not touch it. White car with black interior looks best with black top IMO. And no way I would put a white top on any car, LOL.

You must be registered for see images attach

Wouldn't you say there's a slight difference between a dark color matched car/top and a white Viper with a white top, or a blue top?

Green viper 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well yeah, you can buy a viper replica car as well or buy knock off ACR stuff for a viper and pretend you have a real ACR or you can put coupe rear end on it. This car is called 427 because it has Z06 motor and most of its mechanical components in a convertible body and it is an OEM model. This is the reason why the car has Z06 body panels. Matching interior means the interior color matches the top and the exterior color. If you put a blue top on a white car and keep black interior, it will look like ass, at least IMO.
The zo6 is a little different than acr, acr is a viper with splitter and wing and brake rotors and a 110,000 dollar price tag. The zo6 is completely different frame engine and brakes etc. no comparison

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah the C5 ZO6 had different geared trans and heads/cam/intake/wheels/brakes/suspension, new has different frame/body material and engine.
All in all though for someone whose going to mod a car buying a base anything is a great value.
You could add on coilovers, supercharger and even same wide fenders to a base vert and kick the **** out of a ZR1 even for 10-15k instead of the 50 they charge.
People get the best they can afford and mod from there if you like but there are a lot of things on these expensive cars you'd never miss unless you're competitively racing on a track. My opinion.