Anyone Else Notice GEN IIs Are Disappearing?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of a sudden I look and there are hardly any available for sale and the ones for sale have asking prices that have seemingly grown 10% - 20% from a few months ago. I know summer is coming but looking at this, one would never think we are in a recession. :drive:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they are cheaper and its easier for some people to afford them IMO

good news regardless

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you talking about the classified section, if so they cleaned out all the old ads, there are 120 viper for sale on ebay right now and 100s on sites like autotrader, vehix, cars ect....I know I'm shopping around for one, no shortage

All of a sudden I look and there are hardly any available for sale and the ones for sale have asking prices that have seemingly grown 10% - 20% from a few months ago. I know summer is coming but looking at this, one would never think we are in a recession. :drive:

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they are cheaper and its easier for some people to afford them IMO

good news regardless

My thoughts were now more people can afford but then the raise in prices, threw me off. It is good news none the less but seemingly good cars are getting harder and harder to find. I guess limited production, decent purchase prices, and fewer and fewer clean cars out there led to this. I am just wondering if it will be a trend or everlasting. Only time will tell.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen II GTS's are always a PITA to find, but there does seem to be a lot of RT's out there pretty cheap. I see people selling rebuilt Viper's for as much or more then I would as for my clean GTS..

Good luck finding one!

Autotrader is a good place to check as stated above.

Or Searchtempest, but like craigs etc, watch for the obvious scam.

-Tim

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thoughts were now more people can afford but then the raise in prices, threw me off. It is good news none the less but seemingly good cars are getting harder and harder to find. I guess limited production, decent purchase prices, and fewer and fewer clean cars out there led to this. I am just wondering if it will be a trend or everlasting. Only time will tell.

They'll clearly decrease in numbers .....a few crash or burn each year and some more fall into disrepair and end up unsalvageable. IMO, it'll take decades for that supply-side dynamic to materially affect the price. Maybe if today's 15-18 year olds get the jones for Gen 2's in 10 years the demand side will drive prices up.

I actually don't care.....I'm just enjoying driving 'em!

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spring is right around the corner so that could be another reason for the scarceness of vipers.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't mind if the asking prices grow. I hope they hold their value as much as possible....I also hope to be in the market to buy another one when mine is paid off, the car is worth it.. I'd spend more to get one in top shape with low miles if I had the extra coin :2tu:

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the amount of CLEAN Gen 2's with no accidents in pristine condition are what are getting scarce, the amount of people who wreck these cars is incredible. You can certainly find rebuilt cars everywhere, and some of those might actually be very good, but then again there is no way you are REALLY going to know until you buy it and drive it for a while. (BEEN THERE DONE THAT MORE THAN ONCE!)

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lower the prices get the more that have no business owning one will become owners...and either get snake bit or beat the crap out of it. Either way, they aren't making any more of them so at some point, the novelty of owning a pristine GEN-II will start to bump the prices back up.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lower the prices get the more that have no business owning one will become owners...and either get snake bit or beat the crap out of it. Either way, they aren't making any more of them so at some point, the novelty of owning a pristine GEN-II will start to bump the prices back up.

This is very true.. I can only imagine younger kids buying them, not realizing how to drive them properly and ending up cracking them up. It's bound to happen at some point unfortunately... :mad: