Anyone ever gotten a flat tire while crusin' in the Viper ??

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Anyone ever gotten a flat tire while crusin\' in the Viper ??

KNOCK ON WOOD no flat tires yet. Flat tires are miserable and I dread the thought of getting one on the Viper.

What a terrible thought.
crying.gif

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This actually was on my mind 'cause last night when i was out cruisin' around, I came upon a small glass bottle in the road, and before I could do anything, I heard it "pop" under my Pilots.....Ugh !!! I was praying for the air to stay in my tires, which it did, But I couldn't imagine sitting along the road, putting that little space saver spare on this monster. And stuffing the 335-35/17 in my back hatch area, probably with the glass up for the gimpy ride home.

bitya

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Picked up a nail on a weekend cruise , plugged it, airred back up with 12 volt compressor, went on my way. I never leave home without my little kit.

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One of my friends still had his stock tires on his car and bought new ones, so the Jacksonville vipers went off to the warehouse district and watched him burn the tires for about 2 minutes straight until pieces started flying off the tires and the inter tube poped out along with the cords..

It is a pain in the *** . you have to take your trunk apart, get the jack, tire iron out. loosen the lugs, get the rim off, put the black donut on, then tighten lug and let car down.

After you get all that down, you have to put the rear tire in the trunk. It only fits one way and it you dont have any towels you stand a good chance of scratching the rim. plus the trunk will not shut either, so you need some type of tie down cord.

Plus that brake dust gets everywhere. Alway have a few clean spare towel in your trunk.

tire.jpg

tire2.jpg

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

JH, slithrn, etc..
quote Slithrn
" It is a pain in the *** . you have to take your trunk apart, get the jack, tire iron out. loosen the lugs, get the rim off, put the black donut on, then tighten lug and let car down.

After you get all that down, you have to put the rear tire in the trunk. It only fits one way and it you dont have any towels you stand a good chance of scratching the rim. plus the trunk will not shut either, so you need some type of tie down cord."
-------------------

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A member of the Viper Club Germany "lost" a rear tire during our cruise to the Lausitzring last weekend (at 80 mph on the autobahn). Loosing the tire at this speed was like a little explosion - the "flying away" parts of the tire damaged at least the battery compartement, however when the rim came in contact with the road surface the driver could stabilize the car and came to a stop without further damage to the car...

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever gotten a flat tire while crusin\' in the Viper ??

I talked to a guy that said he did once in his Viper, and he had to have the flat tire ride stotgun in the car 'cause it wouldn't fit in the trunk ( of coarse an RT/10 ), and he sure as heck wasn't going to leave it along the side of the road to pick it up later. Any experiences ?? GTS or RT/10 's

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Another thing to keep in mind... if you have other than stock rims on your car, be sure to check your lug nuts... your stock lug wrench may not fit the new nuts. I know my HRE lug nuts were a different size from the OEMs, so I had to get a new wrench. It's bad enough to have a flat, but a flat with no way to change it...ouch!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There's a device that will hold the trunk closed called a "Trunk Extender" - useful for when you can't get the trunk closed like noted above. I got one with my Viper Days stuff last year, can't cost too much though and easily fits down in the rt/10 tire well area.

racetech

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JH23JOB:
I talked to a guy that said he did once in his Viper, and he had to have the flat tire ride stotgun in the car 'cause it wouldn't fit in the trunk ( of coarse an RT/10 ), and he sure as heck wasn't going to leave it along the side of the road to pick it up later. Any experiences ?? GTS or RT/10 's

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would it be poor etiquette to leave your wife or g/f standing on the side of the road? Putting her in the trunk--that would be over the line, wouldn't it? But...maybe she'd understand...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I am seriously considering getting a tire pressure monitoring system... I should be able to get a crazy deal on one, so it may be worth the 200 bucks... considering a tire is a lot more than that...

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

About a month ago I got a nail in my rear tire and took it to get patched. I drove the car around and it was fine, but the next morning it was flat again. I took it back to the tire shop because I thought that it was apoor patch job and it ended up being that the same tire picked up a screw the day that I drove it home! The tire guy was great about it, even though he had a bear of a time getting the tires off of the rims, but he fixed it for free and I gave him $10 for effort and good attitude.

-Dean.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

5, yes 5 flats in 2 Vipers with a total of 40,000 miles of driving. All on the rears--my theory: the front sets up the sharp object and the rear takes the hit. 3 on MXXXs and 2 on Pilots. I can change a tire on a Viper in the middle of nowhere quicker than anyone this side of Matt Kenseth's pit crew. It ain't fun and I have paid a small fortune in tires cause I am not gonna patch them.