anyone ever use a 160 t-stat?

Scott E. Smith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 160 thermostat he was going to use on his 94...but sold car, I have a 94 R/T and wonder if it would help?
anyone ever try a stat that low?

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Help with what?
<LI>Some of the "180" t-stats being sold for Vipers are actually 160's. The seller just doesn't tell you. look at the temp stamp on the unit itself to verify the temp. [/list]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott E. Smith:
I have a 94 R/T and wonder if it would help?
anyone ever try a stat that low?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OP
OP
S

Scott E. Smith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking it might help maintain cooler temperatures by letting the coolant flow uninterrupted , I thought that a 195 stat would start closing slightly when the fan comes on and lowers the temp below 195 basically maintaining a warmer running engine.where as the 160 would keep consistent flow promoting better cooling.a 180 does the same thing, so I guess a 160 would be ok...well I'll try it and let everyone know.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hi Scott,

If the car is overheating with a functioning stock t-stat, a lower temp t-stat will not help that problem at all.

If the car is going to run at 220 degrees normal operating temperature with the stock t-stat wide open, it will run 220 degrees with a 180, 160, 140, or lower t-stat because they will all be wide open letting the water circulate.

What you will notice with putting in a 160 t-stat is a bit longer time to reach normal operating temps and larger temp SWINGS on the gauge.

Highway driving on a cool morning will have the temp needle left of center but when you hit stop and go traffic it will get just as hot as when you had the stock t-stat in. Highway driving in cold weather may yield a colder running car than it was designed for. Remember, this device regulates how cold the engine will run, it does not regulate how hot it runs. That is done by fans and heat exchanger (radiator).

Also, with the exception of the Mopar Performance Parts 180 t-stat Photo, the aftermarket t-stats I have seen from Stanton and Cat. do not look nearly as well made as the oem unit and some have had a sticking closed problem.