Anyone here have a dead VCA region?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm just curious to see if anyone in here experiences a "boring" VCA region or none at all? My idea of a Viper meet is not to drive 3-4 hours to sit down at a restaurant to eat food and then go back home.

Just curious what you guys do to get your $$ worth and pump some blood through people?

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
San Diego rocks!! Dyno days, Karting races, track days, vintage car races, autocross, etc.
Our reluctant, drafted, not volunteer President Dave Cawthorne, West Coast Vipers and a lot of enthusiastic members make it happen.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its just like religion, It depends on the pastor.

If you dont like your region you could move, or start your own house of worship!

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not into the wine & cheese garage queen crowd either. Not enough real car people, and too many car snobs who flaunt their money around. That's why I didn't renew my membership. It got to be an expensive subscription to Viper Magazine. JMO.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey! Again, my post has been removed. WHY???

I wrote that the VCA Germany is DEAD and that I joined the Switzerland VCA therefor.

This isn't allowed here?

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
our little UK region with only about 30 vipers, has had plenty of happening events lately to N'burg, Spa and Lemans, various track days, drag runs and airfield days giving fast charity rides, a big summer BQ, various shine shows for the polishers and restaurant meets scattered through out the year.... we are alive and kicking

maybe being small is a bonus as everyone knows each other so its a bit more personal

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just curious to see if anyone in here experiences a "boring" VCA region or none at all? My idea of a Viper meet is not to drive 3-4 hours to sit down at a restaurant to eat food and then go back home.

Just curious what you guys do to get your $$ worth and pump some blood through people?

It's sort of like JFK said "Ask not what your regions can do for you, but what you can do for your region"

If you are in a regions that does not do the things you like to do, all you need to do is step up to the plate and help organize a event to your liking. It won't be long until more members join in on that particular type of event. You'll be having more fun, and so will they.

We have a very small region, but we still had four reasonably large events this year, including one open track road racing event. Yes, leadership matters, but if members expect the regional pres to do all the work... write the newsletter, set up every event, etc.... yes, the region will be hurting.

The Illinois, So-Cal and Dallas regions are all awsome (as are the others mentioned above). Each has members taking the ball and organizing road racing, drag racing, social events (i.e PARTIES), and cruises.... so there is something for everyone. Pretty cool regions.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GA VCA is a good region. Pete (GA pres) has done a lot to get it going and his enthusiasm spreads to other members.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GOOD POINT
>>>It's sort of like JFK said "Ask not what your regions can do for you, but what you can do for your region"<<<

I organize(d) events for the Viperclub of Deutschland e.V.

May be I would have done it for the VCA-Germany too... but, ...

"My idea of a Viper meet is not to drive 3-4 [5-6!!!] hours to sit down at a restaurant to eat food [AND DRINK!!!] and then go [DRIVE!!!] back home."

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AB

I asked about starting a more Local region in the Louisville area to serve Lex Cincy and us but said we need about 50 cars. Maybe we should just do something unformal? there is about 10-12 VIpers just in Louisville and several in Lexington as well.

Everything is done in 2-3 hours away. some of the guys in the region are great but just hard to make that trip.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The H-town region was the best when Prashant was running it - then he sold his Viper and started working more in Dallas.

Our Club died. :(

Now, Albert has stepped up to take over and I think things are looking up. :)

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You would think that these regions would listen to these kinds of comments and do something to bring old members back into the fold...

I have never heard from the SoCal VCA since I let my membership lapse. To tell you the truth, I never heard from them when I was a member. Unfortunately, the local tuners don't do much to educate and promote outside of their circles too. They depend on their circles of followers and ignore nuturing any new customers who don't blindly drink the VCA Kool Aid.

I think that many of these regions get way too political and forget (or ignore) the real car folks. I guess that's why I hang out with more hot rodders, Cobra and Vette crowds. They have a lot more activities going on (every month throughout the year). They also don't trash talk Viper folks, like the Viper snobs do. I got real tired of the wine & cheese crowd.

JMO.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad, sign on to [email protected] at no cost to find out what we're up to. Come out Dec 13 and 14 to dyno days at West Coast Viper in Temecula. It's about 1 1/2 hours from you.

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
My first year In the Ohio region has been great. Several drag events with support like Dynos, tents, and meals. Plus great people.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey David,

That is not a bad idea. We need somethings to do or otherwise I will find myself doing illegal things to vent my energy and ego...like street racing or 11th st. Don't really car for that. Too much risk there and plus it's like me looking for cheese and going to a mouse trap to get it. If cops want to hunt down racers, they go to 11th street. Sometimes when I am down there, I don't feel any smarter than cattle looking at a shiney gulliteen (sp?).

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's sort of like JFK said "Ask not what your regions can do for you, but what you can do for your region"

If you are in a regions that does not do the things you like to do, all you need to do is step up to the plate and help organize a event to your liking.

good point, If you have 10-12 cars just start something informal. It will be more fun that way. There are a few hummer owners groups that do big outings, but I tell you offroading with only a couple buddies instead of a wagon train is much more enjoyable.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Interesting and useful thread, as other viewpoints are VERY helpful. Unfortunately, the IND/Ky Region is very wide ranging geographically, with the MAJORITY of members living in Indiana. Because of this, 3 years ago we elected a Southern Director who is active in calling folks to remind/include them in the events scheduled in Kentucky or along the Ohio River..noting that in the past 2 years, only a handful of KY members participated in ANY type of event that we have had in Frankfort, Covington, Lexington, or Louisville areas. Our Region tries to present an event menu with something for ALL...though, obviously, we still fall short. The primary principle underwhich we operate is to INCLUDE rather than EXCLUDE. For this reason, we publish a very diverse schedule including large car shows, small/local shows or charitable benefits, listing of road course opportunities, etc.

Unfortunately, it has been very difficult to please ALL the varied automotive appetites...though we will keep trying (a couple of new twists in Kentucky may gel for 2004).

In regards to David's lament concerning the lack of events in Kentucky, I would only say that those who participated in the THREE DAY (May 30-June 1, 2003) events in the Lexington/Frankfort area had a blast...and, once again, our Viper Club won the "most participation" award at the Frankfort Show...noting there was side trip to a KY horse farm, a museum trip, cruise in, etc. The same can be said for the THREE DAY VCA events arranged around this year's Tall Stacks evebnt in the Cinci area Oct 17-19, 2003. 18 Vipers and their owners had everything from dinner riverboat cruises to private car museum visitation to cart racing...AND, had enclosed, guarded parking while at the Riverboat events. Oh, by the way, did I forget to memtion the Ski meeting in Feb. at Perfect Slopes North near Lawrenceberg...REALLY close to the Ohio River.

MY point is, that inspite of the best intentions, there will always be a few who feel "left out" or "non-served"... BUT, as Regional Officers, we would like to figure ways to offer events appealing to ALL...though, street racing will NOT be among the offered events.

Give your Regional Officers a call...plan/help stage an event.

Thanks, Steve Fess Sec. VCA Ind/Ky Region, Inc. 317-402-9013

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no complaints. Gary puts on several lunches a year and I get every bit of $100 worth out of them.
Me: “Miss, I’d like to order page 2.”
Waitress: “Anything else Lardbutt?”
Me: “Yes, one each of the deserts. Extra chocolate.”

We had a dragrace event at Gainesville a couple months ago, all Vipers, all day for about $30. Run as many times as you want. And some Winghouse and go-kart fun at Daytona a month before that.

If I had one wish it would be to run Daytona before ViperDays gets here. We had 9 Vipers track SAFE Motorsports at Sebring in Sept. and that wasn’t even a Viper event! But Daytona Speedway are snobs and don’t want to be bothered with us.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper owners are a diverse and strange lot!! Ohio has one of the largest memberships in the country (100+ cars) We organize a dozen events a year (that takes a lot of time and effort) We generally get the same two dozen people in attendence. We have several drag events, car shows, track events, dinners, plant tours etc. Many People are busy, many don't want to be bothered, many don't care. This burns out many good people who have volunteered their time to organize events. It like voting, if you don't provide some input by attending and don't take on some of the work, you get what you sow!

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all due respect to those of you who have contributed and do hold offices, there are also regions where those in "power" do little - if anything at all and that's been the case since I bought my car in 1999. And since they control the process, making something happen from the outside is like slow death and just not worth the effort.

For example, one could count on just one finger (which finger is your call...) the number of local Viper Clubs meetings in 2003. And yes, I was there...

And thus my dues get directed to a region with a long history of supporting their folks. I hope someday to actually attend one of their events, 12 to 15 hours away.

In the meanwhile there are some local folks who enjoy their cars... I'll just choose to hang out with them...

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have a lot of stuff that goes on up near Atlanta but in three years I haven't got togather with one viper owner from around Savannah. Too bad.

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"For example, one could count on just one finger (which finger is your call...) the number of local Viper Clubs meetings in 2003. And yes, I was there..."

So what was it... 55% of all the membership money goes to the regions and at least 30 cars/members are required to make-up a region... and if we assume the minimum... Joe, did that one club activity seem like it would have cost $16,500 to you?

Did the 2+ months in the making financial disclosure material break-out expenditures/allocations and membership revenue by region? It would be interesting to see if there is an association between a "dead region" and a region that is simply lacking membership thus it is lacking money for activities. You would have to assume that one of two possible scenarios are correct:

- A dead region, one where not much is going on thus not much money is being spent, has been getting its membership revenue allocations from VCA National and then should be able and expected to provide bank statements to account for it since it is not being spent on regional activities.

or

- A dead region, one where not much is going on thus not much money is being spent, has not been getting its membership revenue allocations from VCA National (for whatever reason) and VCA National should then be able and expected to account for it.

Reaction score
I normally don't comment about such topics, until I read this:
You would think that these regions would listen to these kinds of comments and do something to bring old members back into the fold...

I have never heard from the SoCal VCA since I let my membership lapse. To tell you the truth, I never heard from them when I was a member. Unfortunately, the local tuners don't do much to educate and promote outside of their circles too. They depend on their circles of followers and ignore nuturing any new customers who don't blindly drink the VCA Kool Aid.
Brad Manhattan Beach:
This is a little disappointing. I wish to clarify a few points for the readers.
You participated in our 65 Viper South Coast Slither last May (where we offered non-members like yourself to join in). You can review this on the SoCal Regional Calendar at the top of this forum by clicking Events, Regional Calendars, California: Southern and go to May 4, 2003. And if you click on that date it gives the details including: "If you know someone who owns a Viper but is not a member of the club, feel free to invite them. This is a great way for them to experience what our club is all about. Look forward to seeing you!"

It appears you had a satisfactory time, click here: South Coast Slither Experience

You also contacted me to solicit the Art Center Car Classic for you. Go back to the SoCal Regional Calendar and click on July 20. The details are revealed including: "To get sign up forms - email Brad Chang (Viper Owner) directly for the forms, or email the Art Center at [email protected]." Note it says (Viper Owner), not (VCA Member). I accomodated your request even though you are not a member, and when we were quite busy putting on two major events - our All-American Viper Picnic and the Western Rendezvous. You are Brad Chang... right??? You may recall that I asked you to rejoin our club during this conversation.

Oh, and you attended the All-American Viper Picnic on July 13 too as a "guest" of a member. In addition to all the traditional picnic activities, you dined on all-you-can-eat Hamburgers, Hot Dogs and Ice Cream with 175 VCA members and their families.

That's interesting since you said, "I got real tired of the wine & cheese crowd".

I realize that I cannot "please all the people all the time", but give me a break. If you don't like us - stay away from us! :rolleyes:

Fortunately, for me and other Region Presidents, the fun and pride derived from sharing experiences with valued members far out weighs the negative aspects of the job.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just goined the WV/PA region but I am from Pittsburgh which is close to Ohio. How could I get the info for Ohio events too since I am so close?

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our region was all but dead a just a year & 1/2 ago. Back in 99 when I first joined the VCA, my local region didnt respond to my call for membership so I joined national. When I went to the VOI in Vegas, they wouldnt let me sit @ the GA table! When I ran for GA office, they didnt let me because I was not a member of the GA region, but national!

At that time the region wanted nothing to do with performance driving events, so a few of us started to have our own events, auto X drag racing ect. using our own funds. Eventualy, we began to get more participants than the official club, but turnout was real small. We then started to hook up with other clubs in the area. This turned out to be the thing to do. The larger clubs like BMW & porsche club are always having events. We asked if we could have our own Viper class if we supplied the awards. Everyone wants to see the big Vipers do their thing & the other clubs welcomed us. Another tactic that works for us it to team up with other small clubs like ferrari , lotus etc. We had a joint car show in september that netted over 119 cars!! It was a blast, alone any of the clubs would have been lucky to get 20 cars, 119 was a giant party!
Now the GA VCA is back on track & getting stronger all the time. It takes work, but once it is rolling, the momentum carries the club & attracts more participation. Any one who attended the Zone Rendevous here will tell you the GA region is back! & With all the support that is available from Dodge & National, there is the potential for some great events.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960