Anyone know of a Hatch Cover for a GTS?

Bratatatat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife and I take the odd roadtrip and having our luggage shown is a bit of a visual pain. We tailored a piece of black leather to use as a cover up, however it would be nicer if there was something manufactured specifically for it. Anyone know where to get something like this?

BTW ... you guys rock!! I've used this forum for all of my Viper mod upgrades ... awesome advice!!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made one out of 8mm board (the high tech partical board - I cannot remember what it is called) then covered it in carpet that matches the car. Turned out great and was a fun weekend project. Made a cardboard template first then cut it out with a jig saw, sanded the edges to perfect fit, then stapled the carpet on. Tricky part was that I made a separate piece that covers the flat area above the gas tank. This piece slightly overhangs the spare tire well and allowed for a nutsert to be installed. I then put a hole in the cover and use a knob with a threaded rod sticking out of it to screw into the nutsert to hold the cover down. Probably my most successfull project I have done on the car. Keeps the exhaust noise down a bitinside the hatch and covers anything you have in the spare tire well.

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I made one out of 8mm board (the high tech partical board - I cannot remember what it is called) then covered it in carpet that matches the car. Turned out great and was a fun weekend project. Made a cardboard template first then cut it out with a jig saw, sanded the edges to perfect fit, then stapled the carpet on. Tricky part was that I made a separate piece that covers the flat area above the gas tank. This piece slightly overhangs the spare tire well and allowed for a nutsert to be installed. I then put a hole in the cover and use a knob with a threaded rod sticking out of it to screw into the nutsert to hold the cover down. Probably my most successfull project I have done on the car. Keeps the exhaust noise down a bitinside the hatch and covers anything you have in the spare tire well.

have some pics of your install? sounds nice.

OP
OP
B

Bratatatat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding the mods, the install is being finished tomorrow, so I should have some pics posted later this week. I'm also going to post a vid w/sound so other folks can compare. I am sooo pumped! Pre-mod Dyno came in around 420 rwhp.

Thanks again!!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
have some pics of your install? sounds nice.
I don't have my own so I mooch a digicamera off my folks. I'll try to get it this week and post a shot. If you look at the platic trim in the rear of the hatch area right below where the hatch glass seal is you can see how it has natural contours that allow the 8mm board with two thicknesses of carpet to slide right in and stay tight.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So how well do the rear speakers work now?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how well do the rear speakers work now?
There is a 10" sub back there and it did not change its effect much. Some but not much. The rear speakers got beat up a bunch more, but the cover is not air tight (not going to roast my eardrums if the airbag ever goes off) so the rears still work. I just turned them up. I remember someone posting pics of very nice custom enclosures to move the rear up right my the hatch glass hinges on the inside of the B pillar. That would be a perfect solution. I ultimately want to move the rears in that position and the sub in the passenger footwell. Heck if I do that I could fill the entire spare tire well up with foam to **** up more exhaust noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang