Anyone Tow their Viper with a Dakota?

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had originally planned on towing mine with an X5 but it's a long story. So now I'm looking for a good pickup to be my daily driver and pull the viper to the track 4 - 6 times per year.

Let me know what your set up is and if you've had any issues. I'm thinking about the Quad cab 2wd with 4.7 v8 and 5sdp auto as a minimum.

I've also looked at the Ram 1500, but [******] it's big.

Thanks,

Ken

OP
OP
G

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michael,

Be careful, according to all the published docs, my BMW X5 3.0i can tow 6000lbs, more than enough to pull my Viper on a Quickload trailer. After I had them install the 6000lb hitch ($1000.00!), I noticed a manual addendum in the box that came with the hitch. It stated that the 3.0i with Auto transmission and electric trailer brake was rated to 5000lbs! BMW said they dont make an electric brake hookup for that car. I've tried several other hitch places and they said they cant help (all their info says to contact BMW). Without the electric brake connection, the X5 can only tow 1600lbs!

Thanks,
Ken

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They can't put a regular brake module in it? I thought they could put that in any car.

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken, I tow my viper/kwikload with a Dakota Quad Cab 4wd 5.9 with the tow package (3.89 rear). At the heaviest, I've had 1 passenger and maybe 300 lbs. of stuff in the bed. No problems going through the Shasta and Siskiyous mountain range from Northern Ca to Portland OR. I was told that the long wheelbase Quad is better to prevent sway and true enough, I have not experienced any of it. I installed air springs to prevent the rear from squatting under load. It's my daily driver and the gas mileage ***** but I have room for 6 people. The brakes of the truck (front disc, rear drums) could be better so make sure the trailer brakes are warmed up and working when loaded. I took a 55 mph downhill turn in the Siskiyous at 75 mph because I did not realize that 3 of the trailer brakes were not working. The viper handles very well even when it's strapped on a trailer. :cool:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is very possible that there is no way to hook up the electrical connections for the brake unit on the BMW.

That said, I would recommend a full size truck for towing. The added weight of the tow vehicle is an asset. (I have towed a 22' Haulmark enclosed with my '94 Bronco (351) since 1995 with no trouble.) In my opinion a full size Ford or Dodge would be better than the Dakota for towing.

OP
OP
G

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input.

IISPMS, I've tried two more places today, and both told me they thought that they could get a module that would work, but they didn't want to install it. The local BMW dealer said to buy the module, and their tech would read the installation instructions and let me know if he felt comfortable doing the work. Doesnt exactly give me the warm & fuzzy.

Stephen, your set up is the exact set up I'm looking at. I got an email from someone else giving me the same review of the setup. I like the fact that the Dakota is alot smaller than the Ram. It will be easier to deal with on a daily basis.

Take care,

Ken