Anyone using Autoform side sills? Question

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardly a big secret I converted my GTS to side exhaust, and used the Autoform FRP sills.

During the installation I got the location of the pipe exiting the sill perfect, and when the car was hot the pipe grew in length like it was supposed to. No problem.

I noticed this past weekend that the pipe had been touching the top of the hole some, and after investigating it could not find a real cause. I adjusted the angle of the pipe in the sill by swiveling at the 3-bolt merge collector flange, and made some shims for the rear hanger to drop some. All is well, but was wondering if anyone else has had an experience where these fiberglass sills settle some after a few heat cycles. I did notice the other side had been touching a little too, but not in need of doing anything yet.

NEW - PIPES COLD

You must be registered for see images

NEW - PIPES HOT

900 MILES LATER - PIPES COLD

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torque of the engine? Small amount of shifting would be normal I would think.

That was a thought I had, as my new Woodhouse mounts seem to be settling in.

The good news is for now, that there is plenty of adjustability in everything. I just though I'd be spending the rest of July at the bar, :2tu: not tweaking the car. :(

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardly a big secret I converted my GTS to side exhaust, and used the Autoform FRP sills.

During the installation I got the location of the pipe exiting the sill perfect, and when the car was hot the pipe grew in length like it was supposed to. No problem.

I noticed this past weekend that the pipe had been touching the top of the hole some, and after investigating it could not find a real cause. I adjusted the angle of the pipe in the sill by swiveling at the 3-bolt merge collector flange, and made some shims for the rear hanger to drop some. All is well, but was wondering if anyone else has had an experience where these fiberglass sills settle some after a few heat cycles. I did notice the other side had been touching a little too, but not in need of doing anything yet.

NEW - PIPES COLD

NEW - PIPES HOT

900 MILES LATER - PIPES COLD

Dave,
I have a 96 GTS with side exhaust also, I have 95 GenI side sills and have the Corsa track side exhaust for genIII installed and my pipes also expand a good inch or so and it seems to always do that, I was told it is normal, My tips do not stick out of the holes to avoid contact during expansion.

FLX109

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,
I have a 96 GTS with side exhaust also, I have 95 GenI side sills and have the Corsa track side exhaust for genIII installed and my pipes also expand a good inch or so and it seems to always do that, I was told it is normal, My tips do not stick out of the holes to avoid contact during expansion.

FLX109

This is vertical movement. Appears to permanent. Requiring adjustment of something. Like the sills have taken a set downward, or the motor mounts have settled resulting in other changes.

The normal horizontal growth that I show in the first 2 pics is only a 1/4" on my car. Yours grows an inch? Did you get the Ron Jeremy pipes?

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is vertical movement. Appears to permanent. Requiring adjustment of something. Like the sills have taken a set downward, or the motor mounts have settled resulting in other changes.

The normal horizontal growth that I show in the first 2 pics is only a 1/4" on my car. Yours grows an inch? Did you get the Ron Jeremy pipes?

I think I did Dave, It could be less I just know I saw it happening and wondered what was going on, actually bubble my paint on one side and had to repair it so I stayed away from longer tips, also tac welded them instead of clamps so no turning down or up from bumps etc..

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I did Dave, It could be less I just know I saw it happening and wondered what was going on, actually bubble my paint on one side and had to repair it so I stayed away from longer tips, also tac welded them instead of clamps so no turning down or up from bumps etc..

Got it on the clamps for sure. I fully welded every joint, including the tips. I barely even need the rear hanger by the turn outs!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96