anyone with a forgeline or aftermarket wheel with a reverse hub design look

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I was driving home from PA back to Cleveland and got caught in some rain, after about 1/2 hour of driving in the crappy rain i noticed my steering wheel would wobble like a unbalanced wheel. I couldnt figure out if it was the road or not but could not do over 75-80 or the car would shake really bad.
So I called a shop that was a few miles east of me and asked them if they had a tire machine that would handle 19/20 inch wheels with no problem, they said umm sure.
Make a long story short we balanced the wheels (they screwed up one of my wheels jacka$$ and his impact gun taking them off with the wrong socket ) and one wheel was perfect the other front was off .25ounce, not much in other words. After that torqued the wheels and hit the road, no shimmy and right up to 100 and no rain.......fast forward about 200 miles and rain starts again and so does the shimmy at 75-80 then it dawns on me, i have never drivin the car on the freeway in the rain since i put these wheels on 2-3 years ago and when i wash the car the wheels puddle up a ton of water in the inner barrel of the rim and it does not come out no matter how fast you drive. When I wash the car i use a air gun to blow all the water out and when i say it holds alot I would have to guess 8 ounces atleast. So I called Forgeline that
Monday and the salesman tells me yep thats the problem and there is not a fix.
So I was thinking I paid a ton of money for a set of wheels/tires that i can not drive
to fast in the rain...lol I guess I dont care that much because the car blows in the rain and I hate a driving it in the rain but had i known this was a problem it would have saved me 2 hours on getting the wheels balanced and this yahoo from using his air gun to redesign the look of my wheels...:). So I guess this is a problem with Reversed hub design wheels. Thats what I was told.:dunno:

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These are the wheels Im talking about but it doesnt matter
IMG_0070.JPG

LynnS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ullose: Sorry you're having problems with the wheels. Could you please clarify - by "inner barrel" do you mean the inside of the rim from the spokes to the inside edge of the wheel? Thanks

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you decide to sell them I am looking for the same exact wheels and color combo.... Drop me a PM. I don't drive much in the rain.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most high end wheels are a reverse mount style with the tire drop out located towards the inner portion of the barrel. This design makes the wheel look bigger, more open and it provides more clearance for things like brakes.

The problem with the design is that it retains water and on a rainy day if enough water gets in the barrel of the wheel, it will throw off the balance and you are going to have vibrations. The only way to prevent this is to not drive in the rain....Vipers aren't supposed to be driven in the rain anyway!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the wheel industry, we refer to this as "rain wobble". Happens to every single brand of 2 and 3-piece wheels with the reverse lip. You can even self-cause it by washing the car and going out to drive it immediately.

Driving slower will tend to make it evaporate or dissipate some, without the wobbles happening. Me, I'd rather not drive fast in the rain anyways.

Tony

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wheels arent for sale but I was just letting people know if this happens to someone else.
I learned the hard way, I have had these wheels for awhile and never was on the freeway doing 75-80 in the rain. Had I known this i would have never spent the time to go and have the wheels rebalanced halfway home from the trip and cause the grief!!.