anyone with an aluminum flywheel

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is Cam lope? I have an aluminum fly wheel and was considering having it taken out also. I drive the car on the track a lot, but I want it to 1st be a great everyday car. I put the flywheel on when I first bought the car. What I have is a car that very hard to drive at low rpms without it jumping and lurching a lot. Is that because of this flywheel or just a crapy driver?
Cam lope is probably shuddering and vibrating of the car at idle. When you speak of jumping and lurching, you mean as you engage 1st gear from a stop? Or any gear at a low rpm for that gear? Does it subside if you downshift a gear then? Explain that more if you can..

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More; without the heavier flywheel to dampen it down. Whether the more is too much depends on how much you like shake rattle and roll in a hot car :)

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engineers at DC decided on the stock flywheel weight as a compromise between street driveability and performance.

There are many ways to increase the performance of your Viper.
Almost all of them make it less comfortable to drive on the street or cause long term wear and hassle that most street drivers would call unacceptable.

Any serious race car will have the lightest flywheel they can get away with.
It makes them faster and they don't care if it will only idle above 1500 rpm.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I put on the AL flywheel I didn't notice much difference, idle, SOTP, dragstrip, etc. it's overated IMHO

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both my cars jump and lurch when traveling at parade/parking lot speeds. You gotta feather the clutch a lot. And yes, my '95s TBs are properly adjusted.
I think its a function of the lumpy cams.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any serious race car will have the lightest flywheel they can get away with.
It makes them faster and they don't care if it will only idle above 1500 rpm.

it makes the car idle higher?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't make it idle higher, it just makes it idle rougher at normal idle speed.

A light flywheel will give you more acceleration, there's no question about that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery