Anyone with exp. in cryotreating.......

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am wondering if it would be worth it to have the stock drive train cryotreated and if anyone has done this with success?

OP
OP
J

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Search "cryo" and you'll come up with quite a few threads here to look at.

Still planning on 1000 hp?

Still trying to figure that out?? Def. want to but I want to make sure I know exactly what I am getting into. Compiling a list and am going to bring it to my builder. He is a big fan of cryotreating and has great success with it; would like to see if others have had the same experience.

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My business is vintage race cars, and I am the manager of a vintage race team. We have cryo treated EVERYTHING since 1997. We do engines, gearboxes, rear axles, brakes and suspension components. The biggest problem with cryo is proving that it works. We have broken very few cryo treated parts over the years, so it has to be a factor, as we use the equipment very hard. The laws of physics say it has to work, but you cannot actually see anything difference in the part after treatment.

Be sure that you work with a reputable cryo service, we use 300 Below in Decatur, IL 217-423-3070. They have a large motorsports presence, and you know the process works when you stop by their facility and see parts from NASCAR teams and NASA.

They can go over the actual work process, as their are certain steps that you have to follow, don't tighten Rod Bolts, have all the machining completed on parts before cryo, do not cryo crankshafts that have any Mallory metal in them, etc.

One thing we can quantify is that brake rotors definitely last significantly longer when cryo treated. Main and Rod Bearings also last longer and show less wear since the Blocks are more stable and stay straighter. Definitely improves Ring & Pinion life also. Valve Springs also seem to hold spring pressures longer.

OP
OP
J

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My business is vintage race cars, and I am the manager of a vintage race team. We have cryo treated EVERYTHING since 1997. We do engines, gearboxes, rear axles, brakes and suspension components. The biggest problem with cryo is proving that it works. We have broken very few cryo treated parts over the years, so it has to be a factor, as we use the equipment very hard. The laws of physics say it has to work, but you cannot actually see anything difference in the part after treatment.

Be sure that you work with a reputable cryo service, we use 300 Below in Decatur, IL 217-423-3070. They have a large motorsports presence, and you know the process works when you stop by their facility and see parts from NASCAR teams and NASA.

They can go over the actual work process, as their are certain steps that you have to follow, don't tighten Rod Bolts, have all the machining completed on parts before cryo, do not cryo crankshafts that have any Mallory metal in them, etc.

One thing we can quantify is that brake rotors definitely last significantly longer when cryo treated. Main and Rod Bearings also last longer and show less wear since the Blocks are more stable and stay straighter. Definitely improves Ring & Pinion life also. Valve Springs also seem to hold spring pressures longer.

Thanks for the info. This is what my builder is telling me but I couldn't find any "real" proof. It doesn't seem to be to too expensive so I guess it's one of those why not things.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
J

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
by drivetrain I mean:

internal rolling assembly
input/output shafts on trans
rear diff gears
half shafts...a possibly a few others

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack, but can anyone explain to me the physics of cryotreating? I gather by the name that it involves lowering the temp of a piece of metal; does this somehow realign the material on a molecular level, thereby strengthening the part or is it something completely different?

Also, roughly how much would it be to cryotreat a set of brake rotors (for example, the Stoptech rotors on the new ACR)?

Thanks.

/Rich

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We cryo all needle and roller bearings, gearbox shafts and gears, as well as rear axle ring and pinion and limited-slip units.