Are headers and exhaust illegal in California?

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had BB headers, High Flow cats and BB exhaust installed. Man... they have to be illegal. I can't imagine me stepping on it and any cop within ear shot not giving me a ticket. I love how it sounds but I know I am going to get a ticket if they are illegal... So are they?
Mike

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike,

headers, high flow cats and other performance add-ons are legal in California if those parts have a C.A.R.B. E.O. (California Air Resources Board Exemption Order). Most performance parts list their CARB EO# in their ads or web pages if they have them. On the other hand, most smog inspectors don't know what they're looking at on a Viper. They're just happy to sit in it and run it up on their smog dyno...

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as I know, the only after market header that carries a CARB EO # is the Edelbrock. So to answer your question, no, the B&B headers are not legal in the PRK. With your set up you should still pass the Smog sniffer test but if the inspector recognized it as an aftermarket header, he would have to locate the EO #. If he can't find one, he can't pass you on the visual. Easy solution would be to put the factory heat shields on and everything will look OEM. :cool:

As for your high flow cats and catback, shouldn't be a problem (as if they can visually inspect your cats). Your question regarding the police giving you a ticket for loud exhaust...only advice is to be aware of your surroundings when you jump on it.

Headers with factory heat shields.
2827biasvalve-med.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang