Are stoptechs worth it for the street

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive on average 8000 miles on the street. I have 50,000 miles on my 01 GTS. It will need rotors and pads at it's next oil change in 3000 miles. Given that's $1000 in parts and I can get a couple hundred for my factory calipers is it worth upgrading to the Stoptech 4 wheel brake kit for 99% street driving? I have factory wheels and lines. The only mods are a smooth tubes, RT cat back exhaust and RT high flow cats. Will I gain the $3500 in net pleasure on the street? I anticipate keeping the car 2-3 years longer.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not do that based on what you said.

I have an '01 GTS that I'll be doing an SRT brake upgrade on front and rear. Wheels too. Over $10K I'll spend. But I plan on getting buried in the car, not selling it in a few years.

That was the kicker for me on your question. You're selling it in 2 to 3 years. You won't get that money back out of it.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be looking at one piece rotors then. You ain't going to get a set of two piece rotors for all 4 wheel's for 1,000

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autozone Rotors = <$50/each.

EBC Pads = $300/set online.

I'd stay stock for street use. If you don't do your own service, we can talk about how easy it is to do brakes at the Viper Roundup.

Any big brake kit is worthless on the street. They only matter when you're on race rubber or well above 100MPH. If you want a decent 'street' upgrade, get Tom's rear brake upgrade. At that point, you don't need more for the street.

OP
OP
M

mit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just guessing $1000. I'm looking at the price of stoptech minus the price of factory replacement rotors and pads. Whatever that is. If people say there is no benefit on the street(I do routinely go over 100 MPH. I live in Texas. They let us get away with that) I won't bother.

I have driven the SRT pre 2008. If the GTS with the Stoptechs stops like an SRT it would probably be worth it to me. Maybe that's the question I should have asked.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just installed a 14" Roe front lightweight upgrade kit ($1500) and can't believe the new, shorter stopping distance! This is an 01 with ABS. Less than 100' stopping distance from 60mph.

I bought it because when the Deer jump onto the highway I want to stop, not hit it. Yesterday another Deer ran onto the highway in front of me, I hit the brakes and No Problem. Wasn't even close - and that's how I like it!

If you search the many posts on brake upgrades you'll notice that the '01's got the 44mm rear caliper pistons and any improvement (other than rotors) is a wasted effort and money. $1500 buys the Roe 2 pc lightweight rotors, Gen3 calipers, SS brake lines, EBC pads of your choice and they make a huge difference.

On the street is where you need the brakes the most. A tiny tap of your nose in an accident would cost you anywhere above $5,000. But after $1500 worth of brake upgrades you'll stop in less distance and may not have an accident. Huge savings! Bigger brakes may also save the life of you and your passenger. Stopping shorter than a Gen 3 is also a bonus (like having the best). Roe's 14" 2 pc rotors are 9# lighter than stock and slotted. When I 'bedded' (broke-in) my pads yesterday I got the same colors on front and rear rotors indicating that both front and rear brakes are perfectly balanced!

I did it.

I was a little pissed at my government insurance not giving me a discount for bigger brakes. They gave me a $50 discount for ABS, but nothing for saving over 10' of stopping distance???

Ted

black tower

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sulbiate in italy close to como lake and Bellagio
I just installed a 14" Roe front lightweight upgrade kit ($1500) and can't believe the new, shorter stopping distance! This is an 01 with ABS. Less than 100' stopping distance from 60mph.

I bought it because when the Deer jump onto the highway I want to stop, not hit it. Yesterday another Deer ran onto the highway in front of me, I hit the brakes and No Problem. Wasn't even close - and that's how I like it!

If you search the many posts on brake upgrades you'll notice that the '01's got the 44mm rear caliper pistons and any improvement (other than rotors) is a wasted effort and money. $1500 buys the Roe 2 pc lightweight rotors, Gen3 calipers, SS brake lines, EBC pads of your choice and they make a huge difference.

On the street is where you need the brakes the most. A tiny tap of your nose in an accident would cost you anywhere above $5,000. But after $1500 worth of brake upgrades you'll stop in less distance and may not have an accident. Huge savings! Bigger brakes may also save the life of you and your passenger. Stopping shorter than a Gen 3 is also a bonus (like having the best). Roe's 14" 2 pc rotors are 9# lighter than stock and slotted. When I 'bedded' (broke-in) my pads yesterday I got the same colors on front and rear rotors indicating that both front and rear brakes are perfectly balanced!

I did it.

I was a little pissed at my government insurance not giving me a discount for bigger brakes. They gave me a $50 discount for ABS, but nothing for saving over 10' of stopping distance???

Ted

Being a Viper'owner since only few weeks I could not contribute too much on the specific topics but, having a quite long experience as Gentlement Racing Driver I can add my personal experience with StopTech rotors and brakes up grade mounted on my last Corvette C5 tuned to 435 HP driven as well in circuite as in street.
The performance, mainly due to the slotted rotors + racing pads,was much,much better in racing (less fading) but not enough resistent for a real race and in the street use the noise was quite annoying.
Subsequently I have installed, from a local producer Tarox, a complete new kit with 8 piston calipers,slotted ceramic coated rotors ,racing pads and the performance,but more important, the life of the brakes set was really much better.
For the time being I have not tested my Viper Gts in circuite,I normally do in Monza,but is expected soon.
I really hope not to be out of topic, in which case please kindly excuse,but I'm just trying to learn everything possible about the Viper which is not really the most common sportive car here in Italy
Thanks and regards
Blacktower
BlackGts

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd suggest just the pads. '01 with ABS has good front-rear brake balance already; the rears are "large enough" and the ABS does the proportioning for you. On the street, better brake heat management (i.e. rotors) won't matter, unless you are dodging herds of deer. You already have the Gen 3 master cylinder under your Gen2-ABS reservoir, so you can't improve on pedal feel. Just make sure you keep pushing harder on the pedal, even when you feel the ABS chatter. For all you know, that is only one wheel angaging ABS and the other three are still braking at less than max capacity.

What you may want is instant-on pad friction. I haven't tried every pad, but there is a surprising difference between the older EBC green, the OEM pad, and for instance, the Brakeman #3. The B#3 pads bite right away and you'll be impressed with the quickness and disappointed with what you used to have. Search old posts and people were somewhat disappointed with the first version of dustless green pads. Just my 0.02

Reaction score
The Stoptechs are a great upgrade but you won't get any real "extra" $$$ when you get rid of the car. 3 years though is enough for you to use and appreciate them. I do agree that the pad choice will make a HUGE difference in brake performance. The Brakeman #3 pad is one of the best out there. They have dust though and if this is a big problem for you I would steer clear. The pads that don't dust generally don't work as well though, no way around that.