Are these oil filters any good for our Vipers?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously, Mopar is OEM and must be made to certain specs. That being said, there were different manufactures of the filter, so quality will be different to some degree. I have heard that Mobile 1 were one of the makers, but no positive on that. And with these filters, you won't know for sure until you cut one open.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I believe Mobil M1-204 USED to be listed as the Mopar High Performance option...but I noticed that it was NOT listed last year as such on a local Dodge dealer's parts computer.

I still prefer to use the M1-204 on our Vipers.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Actually, the label on the box of the K&N filter HP-2004 claims "10-20 Micron Filter Provides Superior Filtering" ( which also says that the performance data based on HP-3001)...filtration seems to be the same general range as that stated on the Mobil M1-204 box "98% particle removal at 10 to 20 microns"

Both of these filters look good to me !

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only use mobil 1 filters. 9-11 bucks but worth it. Avoid any fram oil filter. In google recently, I found a very detailed study and comparison on oil filters and construction, where this engineer took apart several top name brands and evaluated what was inside versus what the manuf. claimed. He found very inferior materials on the frams - even the double guard and higher priced ones and said avoid avoid. His study on wix, mopar, and the ford oems were positive.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Mobil 1 and K&N filters are are both made by Champion Labs and are very close in quality (basically a toss-up).

They are considered a "premium" filter due to their filter media, construction, filtering ability, and componant make up. They are in the 9-11 dollar range.

The standard Mopar is probably the same as a standard base Fram or Purolator filter 4 - 6 dollar range.