Are your stripes perfect from the factory?

Final GTS 286

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering if every single viper that has had factory stock stripes, are they all perfect paint jobs. Are the lines completelty clean? No defects at all in the Paint??

1999GTSsilverwblue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine were done at the factoery an they are perfectly staight and have smooth edges as they are clearcoated after being striped.

I know one owner who had them painted after purchase of solid color vehicle; I noticed a few defects;
(1) I could feel the edge raised when I lightly rubbed my finger across the stripes.
(2) The more noticeable defects were slightly jagged /wavyness in the front and rear curved surfaces of front grill areas and the rear license/bumper area . It is very difficult to masking tape curves without wrinkles which paint seeps under.

Suppliers of Factory Parts virtually always use metal masks for high quality and high speed.

Hope that helps

ps I forgot to mention if a vehicle is damaged/scratched during assembly ,those vehicles go to an internal paint repair shop which uses masking tape.

The Gen 1/2 had all parts arrive painted by suppliers.

Mine are Factory and straight and smooth.

Long Live American Muscle

GTS Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I know one owner who had them painted after purchase of solid color vehicle; I noticed a few defects;
1) I could feel the edge raised when I lightly rubbed my finger across the stripes."

Thats not a defect, you should be able to feel the stipes done by ASC

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=583696&Forum=UBB14&Words=factory%20stripes&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=583696&Search=true#Post583696

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2" ripple in the paint, passenger door. Been there since new, never did anything about it. Doesn't bother me, and no one notices it.

Stripes are straight enough, but the edges were a little messy in one section. I always thought they tried to re-align them during painting.

On a positive note, my GTS has never developed the dreaded paint bubbles so many have complained of.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perfect except for the bug guts that won't come off. The ones on the hood and the roof are gorgeous. 97 B/W.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '96 B/W were perfect. My 06 stripes are not as nice and no clear coat over the stripes.

HARDVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can feel my stripes & I have the factory sticker stating the previous owner paid for the $3,000.00 option.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine were done at the factoery an they are perfectly staight and have smooth edges as they are clearcoated after being striped.

I know one owner who had them painted after purchase of solid color vehicle; I noticed a few defects;
(1) I could feel the edge raised when I lightly rubbed my finger across the stripes.
(2) The more noticeable defects were slightly jagged /wavyness in the front and rear curved surfaces of front grill areas and the rear license/bumper area . It is very difficult to masking tape curves without wrinkles which paint seeps under.

Suppliers of Factory Parts virtually always use metal masks for high quality and high speed.

Hope that helps

ps I forgot to mention if a vehicle is damaged/scratched during assembly ,those vehicles go to an internal paint repair shop which uses masking tape.

The Gen 1/2 had all parts arrive painted by suppliers.

Mine are Factory and straight and smooth.

Long Live American Muscle

So not only does your all-motor Viper run 9's, it has the only set of factory stripes I've ever heard of that you can't feel. That must be quite an unusal car.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of stripes, I see a 2002GTS online with the stripes going thru the license plate area..

I take it that's not OE..

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I know one owner who had them painted after purchase of solid color vehicle; I noticed a few defects;
1) I could feel the edge raised when I lightly rubbed my finger across the stripes."

Thats not a defect, you should be able to feel the stipes done by ASC

Perfectly normal.

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine are factory, and they are not perfect.

8095Car_and_Family_0091-med.jpg

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ASC does the paint and the stripes on the Vipers. And they do a great job I think. I got a tour of the plant in Michigan when they were painting panels do be shipped to Conner Ave. for assembly.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After doing mine myself, I would love to see how the factory boyz layout the srtipes. What a PITA to get even close to straight nose-to-tail. Its not the painting part, but the layout...even with the special layout tape.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Correction.....ASC used to do the stripes on the Viper. They are now done by a company called Prefix. Viper stripes, in the past , did often have overspray underneath the front and rear fascias. I would say that very few were absolutely perfect, but then most areas are in places I am sure they would figure would not be viewed. And , yes, the stripes all have an edge to them.

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine are perfect. By the way, I purchased an after-market cowl and had the stripes added to it. I think it makes for a more eye appealing hood line (just my .02).