Ariel Atom vs. my Viper (pics). The better track car?

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the Ariel Atom track car and its performance??? At 1000 pounds and 225 to 300 hp, it makes my Viper look more like a truck. Other than the fact that my Viper is street legal, can anyone see ANY advantage, performance or otherwise, that the Viper has on the track over the Atom? At $45K fully loaded, it seems a remarkable deal for a dedicated track car and might be a lot more fun overall on the track. Does anyone have any information or thoughts on the matter whatsoever?

"The Atom is a rush to drive at even 50mph, let alone at the track where the Atom can be configured to pull almost 2g in cornering." OMG!

http://www.atomclub.com/content/theatom.htm

http://www.ariel.us.com/04/frames.htm

http://www.automotivearticles.com/123/Ariel_Atom_USA.shtml

7177Atom1.jpg

7177Atom3.jpg

7177Atom2.jpg

7177Atom4.jpg

OP
OP
V

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The video is awesome, no doubt!

Sounds like it has some oversteer issues:

"Perhaps this car is a bit too fast and loose (it pretty much oversteered for the entire lap) and it takes confidence to stay on top of it but there seems to be more information through the steering to help keep ahead of the chassis now. And the brakes have been transformed from dead but grabby to nicely weighted and easy to modulate. This car normally runs on much stiffer track-only suspension and is apparently much more settled but for the experienced its current setup is massive fun. . . . Hales would probably much prefer it, though. ‘It’s great fun but only for a short while. You’ve got to be pretty confident to drive the Atom as it demands and even if you can hang onto it I’m not sure you’d get through a full session without being black flagged for reckless driving.‘ After a few laps, Green is grinning but also pondering the merits of this particular setup. ‘It’s got turn-in oversteer, lift-off oversteer, power oversteer… it’s easy to control and it’s fun because it’s flawed. It does show the inherent friendliness of the chassis, though. Superb fun.’"

http://www.atomclub.com/content/news.htm (third article: EVO tests the Atom 245 )

And some high end speed issues:

"The truth is that Atoms are at their best when cornering and braking. The aerodynamics aren’t great for top speeds. If you want to go faster, take race driving lessons – you’ll be amazed how much your Atom can deliver straight out of the box in the hands of someone who knows what theyre doing! When asked (as you will be) “How fast will she go, mister?” my reply is usually: “A hundred miles an hour” then wait a beat… “around corners…” That usually impresses people."

http://www.atomclub.com/content/spec.htm

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is a great road and track car. However, there are lots of dedicated track cars that you can't drive on the roadthat are faster than a Viper. Radicals, Atoms, various formula cars, prototype sports racers, etc. If you want a car just for the track, an Atom would be a good choice, I should think.

Are there any race series that Atoms are eligible for? If I was getting a track only car, I'd want to make sure there was an opportunity to race it if I decided I wanted to move up from track days to wheel to wheel competition.

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Ariel Atom 2 will smoke you on just about any road course. It's major (and only) disadvantage is a lower top speed (around 130-140), which could hurt on some tracks with long straights. Otherwise, it is like comparing an open-wheel to a sports car. The atom is basically an open-wheel (300 bhp/1000 #).

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would have to imagine 140 in one of these feels a hell of a lot quicker than that:)

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been on track with one its a truly great car but as said earlier, runs out of puff at 130-140.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
totally different animals - as has been said - there are many "better" track cars, but if you want a high HP, high torque CAR, then the Viper is a blast.

We went down the track car route, ending up with a GTS racecar and now a Comp Coupe.

We toyed with the idea of changing to someting cheaper/lighter/faster, etc. But bottom line, we didn't want to leave the Viper - we liked the torque, we liked the fact that we have a spec series in which to race, we liked the Viper Racing League and potential to move to Speed GT - etc.

Also - I wouldn't want to hit anything in that car - I feel more comfortable with more stuff around me. That's not really a car - it's a cart.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a rocket ship on wheels. They just track tested the Atom on Top Gear this week and found it was only half a second slower than the ferrari enzo around the track.

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Could it not be street legal? I see that it has lights and mirrors. It would be no worse then a motorcycle and should get good MPG.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do these match up against the formula fords that look similar?

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.vipergts.dsl.pipex.com/

went to a track meet last weekend, a Atom was there (pics linked above scroll to the bottom)it was the son of the XJ220 owner, they are road legal here and there are plenty of other 'track' type road car choices like the similar Lotus 340R which all run of UK roads

There's a pic included of the Westfield that showed up, but my choice of these type of cars would be the Radical

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are fast, weird and wild. But too close to a motorcycle for me. I like the looks of the T-Rex better than the Atom, but for the price I'd rather have an Elise. :laugh:

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would get a Radical (SR3) before the Atom if I was going to get something like that for the track.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unless you are competing in a series for the car, you might have a big problem with the fact its open-wheel.

None of the groups I've run the track with allow open wheel cars, and, while there may be groups that do allow them, you will find them a lot less common, if they exist at all.

Agreed - the car looks like a blast.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is it?

The white lettering down the side gives it away :D these mainly run corvette engines. Its available complete straight out of the factory, or in a kit form which you can build yourself. The Ultima can be a very quick car which in fairly standard form would be a viper killer

http://www.pistonheads.com/ultima/default.asp?i=10184

There are still a few UK small companies producing niche cars, that havent been eaten up by the big conglomerates

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery