Atlanta area wrenchers familiar with clutch slave replacement?

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started the car up this morning to have the emissions test done, clutch felt fine, went into 1st, tried to stop to close the garage door and :jawdrop::jawdrop: couldn't get out of 1st. I quick turned the ignit. off. I had to pump the clutch to get it out of gear. Once out, I tried to pump the clutch up but each time I pumped the pedal got lower and lower and lower. I'll make an educated guess the slave is shot. Checked the resivoir and it was empty. Filled it up and tried to pump up the pedal but no go and wierd but the fluid I put in the resivoir didn't go down either?

Anyone in the Atlanta area been down this road? I don't mind doing the work myself but an experienced set of hands and eyes would make me feel a s**t load better! I can pay in beer and Papa John's Pizza :).

Anyone?
Thanks,
Todd

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I HOPE that it is only the slave...as clutch master cylinder CAN be a pain in the asp to change if necessary. Interestingly, at our last Special Viper Service Session here in Indy with Tom Sessions, a 2001 Viper and a 2002 Viper came in for clutch problems...BOTH of which needed new slave cylinders followed by new clutch master cylinders...lots of work, but more painful if master cylinder necessary. The good news is that the parts are readily available.

If you cannot get a great lead on a very experienced Viper Tech in Atlanta, consider hooking up with Tom in NC.

Best of luck !!

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve,
Is there any sure fire way of telling if it's master or slave?

I just got off the phone to get a ballpark price from Dodge. I wanted them to go ahead and replace the clutch assembly while they're in there. They gave me a price for both of $1821 +- sound reasonable not to have to fool with it?

Thanks Again,
Todd

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I suspect that upon removal of the clutch inspection plate, you will find a leaking slave. Once replaced, if clutch doesn't pump up effectively, suspect problem with master. Others can add finer points. I have no valid opinion on pricing of the above repairs.

Main question for me would be experience level of repairing dealership...do they routinely work on DOZENS of Vipers...with good results??? Check with your Regional VCA President for references.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a clutch line start leaking on a gen 3 and the vehicle caught fire. Brake fluid can light up if it gets hot

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your clutch problems. I'd be scared silly to have a dealer work on it unless you personally know the quality of work the Viper Tech is capable of. I'd also want to make sure that only that tech worked on it. I have little trust in most dealers, as I've rarely received competent service. There are some dealerships mentioned where they have an excellent Viper Tech, but I'm guessing they are in a small minority of dealers.

Toddy at Bad Boyzz Garage has a slave that looks about as bulletproof as I've seen. Might want to consider using the BBG unit vs. OEM.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealership will tell you the clutch is bad. Then quote you, get into the car and hit you for the master and slave.

I had a small local shop do mine. $800 on my 99 GTS. Dealershio wanted $1000 and insisted it was the clutch. Later found out they scammed two other guys around here for about $2,000 on the same deal.

Reaction score
most likely the slave cylinder leaking,due to the resevior being empty, look under the car about the frontal area of the bottom of the trans, if the slave is bad it will seep there,(you may not see a ton since it will sling off the clutch plate) it could be lines , master , alot of things.
but most likley the slave sir. We are up 10 min west of charlotte if we can help, oem or aftermarket.
if it is , I do suggest changing out the clutch if it has been soaked with fluid.

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in Atlanta and I have dropped my tranny 5 times now(assortment of reasons...new slave, new clutch, new transmission, etc). It isn't hard, but if you do want to replace your clutch with an OEM unit, I have a brand new one from Luk(maker of the factory clutch) that I will sell to ya for $75. I am in Alpharetta.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you haven't pulled the trigger at the dealership, you might also want to give Balanced Performance (678 546 3133) a call. They're north of you in Sugar Hill, but the tech there (Russell) has built several Viper race cars (both drag and road course) and has wrenched on a ton of stock and FI cars in the Atlanta neighborhood. As stated above, dropping the trans isn't real difficult (though you do need a really long extension for the top bolts (3+ feet). My bet is that even if you replace everything that is even close to worn out, BP will have a good price and VERY competent workmanship.

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks DrumrBoy,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I had a family emergency that lasted 2 weeks (*****). I'm now back in the game and ready to get this thing fixed. I'll call BP tomorrow morning and get it up there.

Thanks Again,
Todd

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to see how this works, if you don't mind me stopping by to look? Maybe I can lend you a hand/pass you a wrench?

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slaves go all the time ... had 2 in my own 02 RT/10..

Changed 6+ over the last few years.. Usually after sitting ove the long winter months...

Not a hard job to do yourself...

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must say I used your writeup and it was great!! Even picked up the $80 harbor freight jack. Great write up and pictures as well, THANKS!!!

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to check out that DIY writeup too please.

Looks like I'll be working this weekend so I wouldn't be able to check out the replacement/learning session. Thanks anyway though...

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update:
I had the car towed to Balanced Performance on Monday. I was very impressed with the facility and the folks working there. Jason was great and said they'd give me a call once they had gone over the car form bumper to bumper.

I got a call last night (Tuesday) from Jason. He informed me not only was the slave bad but the master also. We went over what should be done while the trans is out. He actually asked ME what I intended to do with the car i.e. drag, road course track, autocross, etc. I told him what I was going to do and he suggested the clutch and a light weight flywheel.

Dodge estimated for the slave and clutch app. $1900, for the same price Jason quoted slave, clutch, master, and flywheel with all new hardware. It's sure nice to know there are facilities out there that enjoy working on these cars, ask the customer what there intentions are, and make suggestions without trying to oversell and **** the customer.

Thanks Drummerboy for hooking me up. BP now has another long term customer (on things I don't want to wrench myself).

Todd