auction cars and the generally wide range of pricing in general

banal

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Talk about a difficult but exciting search! I'm looking to get into a gen2 car and researching pricing is giving me fits. I've seen 1997 RT10s priced higher than similiar mileage/condition 2002s!

I was at an independent dealer's shop and they showed me a list of sales at one particular auction, and a list of maybe 5 2002 RT10s had sold recently, all for just below 40k. The lowest I've really seen this car priced retails is say around 45k, with many prices shooting above 50s and into the upper 50s! How can there be such a difference in the wholesale cars at auction? If it was just one car at 40k at auction that'd be one thing, but it was 5 in a row that sold for approximately the same price. Why the disparity?

Thanks guys, great forum. In the past couple of weeks I've been reading through as many threads as I can and it seems everyone loves their snakes!

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wrote a response to a thread detailing the different pricing for all year rt/10s and GTS's. Try the search function

In regards to the pricing of auctions, be carful. Looking at a paper list and actually looking/inspecting the Viper are two different things. These Vipers could have been in prior accidents, with high mileage, rough condition etc, coming of leases where the prior owner didn't car how hard he drove the car etc.

Add a few grand to service these cars, tune up/ all fluid changed/ filters, tire change, and detailing car etc.

In the end Gen 2's going for that price sounds like a steal.

SuperSaiks

T.C.z.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The problem with buying almost any car at auction, let along a Viper, is that you're always going to get an adverse selection of cars that go through the auction. Sometimes the reasons are worse than others, but you rarely find the highest quality vehicles at your local dealership auction. To answer your specific question as to why Vipers have such a disparity between open market prices and auction prices, I would suggest that the types of people who tend to purchase cars like Vipers are not the types of people who would purchase vehicles of potentially qustionable history at an auction. Since the demand for Vipers sold at auction is decreased, the prices are decreased as well.

Of course that doesn't mean if you buy a Viper at auction you'll get a lemon, but you could very easily make a $40,000 mistake in your quest to save $5,000.

Just my $.02

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with buying almost any car at auction, let along a Viper, is that you're always going to get an adverse selection of cars that go through the auction. Sometimes the reasons are worse than others, but you rarely find the highest quality vehicles at your local dealership auction. To answer your specific question as to why Vipers have such a disparity between open market prices and auction prices, I would suggest that the types of people who tend to purchase cars like Vipers are not the types of people who would purchase vehicles of potentially qustionable history at an auction. Since the demand for Vipers sold at auction is decreased, the prices are decreased as well.

Of course that doesn't mean if you buy a Viper at auction you'll get a lemon, but you could very easily make a $40,000 mistake in your quest to save $5,000.

Just my $.02
Excellent advice. :2tu:

There are a lot of things that affect the value of a Viper such as mileage, color, cars history e.g Has it been in an accident or is it a 1 owner car or 7 owner car etc etc etc...

I also agree that you will not find the best cars at an auction. You are better of going to a dealer that specializes in Viper or even buying from a private owner if you can find one.

There are a few very reputable Dealers that are on this forum and are sponsors. You may pay a little more than if you find one private but you get piece of mind knowing the car has been properly researched and was not in an accident or does not have a washed title from Florida or has been tracked half to death or was a Driving School car. Buying a Viper is a sizable investment for most people and it really is worth paying a little extra to get what you want and know it isn't going to be a nightmare. If you buy a car with issues it can add up real quick and ruin your experience pretty quick.

A few links that may help.

www.bjmotors.biz
www.dodgevipersforsale.com
www.woodhouse.com/viper/default.htm
www.premiumcars.com

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the beauty I bought from Bernie at BJ Motors.

You must be registered for see images attach

I am always looking for an excuse to post a pic of my beauty. ;) :2tu:

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the beauty I bought from Bernie at BJ Motors.

I am always looking for an excuse to post a pic of my beauty. ;) :2tu:

:crying: Was this the 900 mile car he recently had? I wanted that car soooo bad, but I couldn't convince my wife that a 2nd Viper is necessary.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would respectfully submit that even a dealer has not idea about the history of a vehicle. It is much better to inspect the car yourself. Also get a Viper Tech to look at it (disinterested to the transaction).

Remember, it is not the number of owners, or the mileage. It is the condition of the CAR that is the question.

Also, people always come up with these crazy prices someone got at an auction that the general public was not allowed to. My response is that it is not the true value of the car on the open market. Good luck in trying to find your Viper.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then, you get dealers that try to sell these cars at out of this world prices! Example: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...nal&paId=235045362&recnum=254&leadExists=true

2 weeks ago, I contacted the dealer selling this Viper:http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ngine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=1277 and they would not budge on the price! Wished them luck selling it. I was(am) in the market for a black/silver GTS but it sure is frustrating. Bottom line is deal with sponsors of this site, they will do good by you.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its real simple.. Demand is still very high for nice, low mileage GenII's.. NO WAY are you buying these cars at auctions, for wholesale pricing.. IF you do, the car has a story, I assure you..

Go to bjmotors and check out what he has...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine