Auto in viper for daily driving?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a friend that is interested in a Viper, but he can't drive a manual due to a handicap.

What's the approximate cost to put in a Auto that could be used as a daily driver?

thanks!

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey casey

i saw a viper...i think an srt a few years ago on ebay with an auto trans, and the owner wanted somewhere like 100k...very expensive to change...from what i read in his sale post!

ryan

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FYI I believe [*****] sells a auto for the Viper. Not sure how good as his reputation seems to be in the gutter as of late. Just thought I'd pass it along.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
casey, there was a silver GTS a few years ago when i was shopping with an auto. the guy had a major problem with his leg or something so couldnt use the clutch.

it looked clean and said it drove perfectly. so i know i can be done and has been done.

OP
OP
C

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
Hopefully, it's doable. He wants an SRT10, so if the Ram auto will fit, that would be nice and easy!

I'll be calling Jason tomorrow to see what he thinks.

Thanks again! :2tu:

Josh M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heffner put one in Chad's car for the 7.99 pass.........you should definitely give him a call to see what it requires and the cost that comes with it :)

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember Jason put one in a new black SRT-10 when I was visiting his shop last year. So it has definitely been done.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< What does $$$$$$ come out to in Viper Terms? >>

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

plus tax.

:D

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are all WAY off. I'm in the process of doing this on a project car. I have done some measurements and it appears that it will fit without any mods to the viper tunnel. The cost for the trans (built to withstand 800 hp and 800 ft torque), converter, flywheel (flex plate) and a floor shifter for less than 4K. I don't know if it will in fact fit the Viper body without any modifications but the transmission (T56) to transmission (auto) measurements are nearly identical. If you go with a non electric trans (hydraulic) you will save the expense of an additional controller about $800. I hope to have this bolted in and working after the first of the year.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill - so you are thinking about 4-5k? I was thinking about a torque converter, a powerglide, and the SVS adapter stuff... put that together and you are close to 8k. definitely keep us all posted on how this goes!

JD

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There was a handicapped guy at VOI who was running an auto in a gen 1. Think he said it was up for sale

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aside from SVS not returning any of my email inquiries about their adapter, which made me look in other directions. I found that most of the parts are off the shelf. Most of the expense comes from beefing up the trans to handle additional power and torque. And for the record I'm probably going to run the hydraulic trans in my project.

OP
OP
C

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great info. I think at $5k or close, he may have to give it a try!

If it's possible to pick up a SRT10 Ram Tranny and swap it out, that would be cheapest.

More info the better, thanks!

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't want the tranny from the SRT10. It's a power eater. Dodge bastardized a diesel tranny in the trucks. I have one of the trucks. I'm doing a big build (strikers, twin screw, nos, headers, etc, etc) and the trans EATS power worse than anything I've ever seen. On top of that, your aftermarket transmissions, which you have to have as the stock one is garbage, are made for diesel applications. We don't make 800lb/tq at 1000rpm's like a diesel. To give you an idea the first converter I started with weighed 80lbs. Yes that's right. I now have a 54lb converter and the new tranny on the way is in the 40's.

There has to be a better solution.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy from VOI9 is Aaron. His Viper is for sale. It is fast. It is stock but beat all of us running the factory SRT10's.

It was not cheap to install the auto tranny. I can put you in touch with him if you like.

Jerry Dobson

Svsi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aside from SVS not returning any of my email inquiries about their adapter, which made me look in other directions. I found that most of the parts are off the shelf. Most of the expense comes from beefing up the trans to handle additional power and torque. And for the record I'm probably going to run the hydraulic trans in my project.

Bill
I dont recall a email from you about a auto? Svs does have flywheels and adapters for the GM autos,2 speed or 3 speed if anyone is interested.We have also done installs.

Ron Sr

AbelDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The automatic Viper that was in Vegas is mine. It is a Black 1998 RT/10. I intend to sell it as soon as I decide what my next Viper will be. Year, style, etc.

The story about the build is a long one, but the car runs very well and is super easy to drive. I'll miss it when it sells.

Drop me a line for more info.

Aaron

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21