Auto insurance $1827/year in Suburban Philadelphia. Am I being ripped off?

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much do you pay? Where do you live? What insurance company do you use/recommend?

Thanks .....

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
**** dude, too much. Do you have an excessive amount of tickets? I pay $980 a year and that's because I got a ticket two years ago for 10 over, that blows.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are getting ripped off. I pay somewhere around $750 for $45,000 replacement value on my 94...I forget the insurance company...I pay them once a year and thats it. I think it may be called Classic Automobile Insurance...located in the midwest somewhere..

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pay $1150 per year. It has an agreed upon value of $80K (will not depreciate). I can drive it as much as I like just as long as I am not using it for transportation to work. The company I use is call Grundy their website is http://www.grundy.com so if you lower the agreed upon value the premium should go down ($80,000 (agreed value) x .014 = $1120 annual premium + some other fees).

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without beating a dead horse (if you want to, run a search on Grundy), I'll sum up my findings on them:

I considered Grundy, and was amazed at their prices. However, I had my attorney look at their service contract, and decided against it. While I have no doubt that people have had successful claims, the contract says without question that you must be attending or heading to a car exhibition of PUBLIC interest.

So, I decided not to chance it. My attorney said this to help me reach my conclusion: if by some chance Grundy (or the underwriter, whoever it may be) found themselves paying out too many claims, they could legally refuse to pay my claim if I was driving around town, even on a "pleasure trip."

To put icing on the cake, the insurer (Grundy and the underwriter) even admitted that they were thinking about changing the wording of their own contract to make it seem less strict. Well, until they do... buyer beware, and realize that in the end, all you have is the legal contract. A judge won't care that claims were paid in the past... he'll see that the explicit wording for the contract allows them to refuse any item that wasn't part of a "PUBLIC" gathering. Call me paranoid... I call myself prudent.

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too checked with Grundy and their prices were considerbly lower than the competition

However, I was rejected because I indicated that I sometimes run errands with my Viper!!!! Give me a break.....who doesn't run errands with their snakes.

That's the best time to show off

Don

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to compare prices without knowing your limits and coverage completely. Certainly the area you live in effects the rates also. Check with Progressive, their rate should give you an idea where your rates should be. They're not the lowest but they are competitive and a good rule of thumb.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in Ga & full coverage with clean driving is 1500$ with 1k deductable. This is with max coverage available. Run away from Progressive if you do track events. Ask Rocky Top!

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
$1460/yr for me. Full coverage, $1K deductible, good driver, no tickets for eight years, multiple-cars (4), 35 years old, married, no children or driving-age teenagers, professional group, car driven on weekends, but I live amongst the worst drivers here in L.A.

Warren.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe..my Viper and '72 are with Haggerty. They use agreed value, which I have on these two cars. If memory serves me, the rate was about $1400. (Haggerty may limit your mileage) The GTS is insured for $75,000, the Plymouth for $7,000. I just switched the 2002 Mustang and '94 Bronco to Metlife from Nationwide. They beat Nationwide by over $600 a year. (And I have been with Nationwide since I started driving.)

OP
OP
A

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked Progressive - $2400/year for the same coverage. ***! I'm 54, live in the burbs, never had an accident or claim of any kind, only drive my car for pleasure, etc.

I'm a bit uneasy about Grundy and will ask to review the contract before going any further.

Amongst the major providers, what company is the most competitive and offers coverage that reflects pleasure use without silly limitations?

SPARKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
**** Joe you old fossil, i hope im still driving the viper when im 54. Im 31, 1 ticket in 7 years. $960 a year through State Farm insurance $500 deductibule. j/k with the old fossil!!!

Sean 96 McViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Joe!
I pay around $1200 a year for the ol 96 Viper (12,000 miles on her) and I am 25 and my wife is on the policy and she is 22. I assume you should be able to get a better rate than me... I have nationwide I can give you my agent's name if you wish. He seems to be able to consistently beat the other carriers. I do have my house and other two cars with nationwide but that doesn't seem to get me much of a discount on the viper. Insurance really depends on where you live, I bet the guys who pay $700 or less don't live outside Philly. (I used to pay $890 a year when I lived in Scranton, PA an I was 23)

-Sean

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACR Joe,

Do you have all your insurance with one company (Home, Auto, Fire, Liability, etc...)?. That can save a bundle. I pay essentially the same rate (@$800/yr) for each of my cars (Viper, Volvo, Civic & Minivan), without any restrictions on use. That's with very high coverage limits and $500 deductible.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in NY. Pay 1400 per year, with a clean license, unless some tickets still linger on with the ins company, which is Progressive.

Also have a new Ram 1500 & 2002 Audi A-6 both paying about the same amount.

AC

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch!

$600 for 6 months
full coverage limits at 500,500,500

Live in NYS outside of Buffalo

State farm multicar discount, and home owners disc.

good luck
JIM

special ed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
joe, i pay 1800 a year for 2002 yukon xl,2002 explorer,1999 jeep wrangler,1996 rt/10 and have 500 ded.and 500 on everything else.my snake is put away in the winter,also have multi. discount and thats with country compainies.

OP
OP
A

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SPARKY:
**** Joe you old fossil<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, it's weird man .... time really flies! My record started skipping when I was about 28 so I never really aged emotionally beyond that. A reasonable healthy lifestyle, including a good diet and a rigorous 5 day/week training regimen, have kept me in good shape physically.

But I'm pretty sensitive about the whole age issue as you can tell by my response. I suspect many of my Viper Brothers are beset by like sensitivities.

Rare1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, move to Sweden!!!!!! I only pay USD 200 a year for full coverage!!!
Really, I feel for you.
Mikael

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Hey guys, move to Sweden!!!!!! I only pay USD 200 a year for full coverage!!!
Really, I feel for you.
Mikael"

Yeah... And how much you pay in taxes?
Or gasoline/gallon?
Or car parts imported?
Kinda evens it out.

I lived in Sweden 4 years (noll-atta-area) and even my Ford ****** was more than $200. Not to mention my Vette... And this was in the late 80's.
Beautiful place though, lots of nice US cars, I loved expecially the Stockholm Cruising and Mantorp. Do not miss the mosquitos.

ACR Joe, I think the question is not how much the others pay insurance in other states. You need to compare with someone IN philly.
Sure, I pay less too, why? Because I live in the middle of the Amish community. Nobody steals my car or likelyhood that I have a collicion is minimal, close to zero trafic. Going from my area towards east (Philly) the insurance easily first doubles and then triples.
I do not find it unusual to pay $1880 bucks IN PHILLY. The cheapest insurance company usually is also the crappiest when it comes to compensation or they will dump you immediately after the first claim. I combined all my car insurances (3) and life insurance and house and... and... so on. All this brought my numbers down considerably.
I have Allstate, have had a total roof damage (hail), 1 Jeep mangled (hail), 1 -64 Galaxie shortened by 1 yard (repaired), 1 high speed ticket, they paid instantly, NO problems whatsoever. Even my premiums stayed on reasonable. (Only Galaxie was raised 20%.) Considering that I have never had a problem with them, I'll stick with Allstate. (Even if I could have bought about 10% cheaper insurance)

Lauri

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Just got my first bill $457/qtr.

Thats single, 25, 14ish points, def driver, and home owners discount. I work with a lot of Philly folk and I'll tell you 1900 don't sound too bad...

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My stats :

2002 Viper GTS
$1105.00 per year
Richardson, Texas (Dallas area)
29 years old
Married
No tickets in the past 7 years
(multi car discount : 6 cars)

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I pay about $650 / yr on my 2002 GTS

no tickets in 10 plus years - no accidents ever

33 yrs old - married

I will put atleast 5,000 to 7,000 miles on the car per year

use State Farm - $500 deductible - list as pleasure use -

my other 2 Vipers had similar premiums

live in Richmond, Va

OP
OP
A

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nexus-6:
My stats :

2002 Viper GTS
$1105.00 per year
Richardson, Texas (Dallas area)
29 years old
Married
No tickets in the past 7 years
(multi car discount : 6 cars)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to have an office on Renner Road so I know how bad the traffic can be in Richardson. Fantastic rate for that area for sure.

And dwhitt - I know Richmond pretty well - you also got a great deal. Guess it's mostly a Northeast thing! ***** along with the weather!

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it depends your location

california is the worst by far

i pay $331 per month for my C5

the viper is $541 per month

A DUI and a speeding ticket is on my record

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads