Back up camera

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Pioneer head unit and I been playing with a back up camera that hooks up to it. I have it working but it's not hooked up quite right. I need to figure out which wire changes polarity when the car is shifted to reverse. That way the stereo knows when to switch to the camera view. Any one have a the wire harness diagram that lists all the wire colors and what they are for the junction box under the hood? (2000 GTS)
Thanks

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah I know I just thought I would try it for fun. It's actually kinda nice because you can see if there is anything your kids left behind your car before you back over it. :)

Last edited:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A backup camera in a Viper?
:lmao:
What's next? A seat heating? A cup holder?
A plasma TV screen in the trunk? :rolleyes:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A backup camera in a Viper?
:lmao:
What's next? A seat heating? A cup holder?
A plasma TV screen in the trunk? :rolleyes:

Hey, I have one and it's really useful. How well can you see out the back of your car?

Hirko, I think you need to find the reverse light wire. Either a reverse light or sensor on the shifter will do. You just need to tap into the positive side and it will trigger the camera to turn on. I didn't want to bother searching for wires so I just wired it to a switch so I can turn it on whenever I want.

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I have one and it's really useful. How well can you see out the back of your car?

Hirko, I think you need to find the reverse light wire. Either a reverse light or sensor on the shifter will do. You just need to tap into the positive side and it will trigger the camera to turn on. I didn't want to bother searching for wires so I just wired it to a switch so I can turn it on whenever I want.

I second that :2tu: I have one too, very nice to have :drive:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to see a video of you driving backwards!
And do not say you have no camera :lmao:

No driving over toys, kids, boby cars, cats and dogs pleazzzzeeeeee :D

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah my windows are tinted really dark. It's hard to see out the back of the car day or night. The camera has inferred night vision. The screen is in the head unit with a pop out 7" DVD nav screen. The camera comes on the screen once you shift into reverse. I may not leave it but hey if it helps why not.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to have the mirror monitor but I replaced it with a regular mirror and now I just use the DVD screen.

OP
OP
H

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that screen looks like what I have. a Pioneer head unit with pop out display.