Back-up Lights Quit Working

jerryk96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else's '96 GTS back-up lights quit working? Bulbs are good and fuse is fine...only other item I believe it could be is the back-up light activation switch. Is is located on the top of the transmission at the shift lever? How do you access switch...hard to repair? Thanks for the help.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt it;s the reverse light switch. Easy to replace too. It's on the passenger side of the trans. With my car on a lift..I was able to reach in and change them. It is behind that big panel that bolts on under the trans. Very common problem.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Probably a bad switch, but are your fuses good, not just LOOK good? Replace fuse first.....then

Put car in air. Drivers side has speed sensor and anti-reverse lockout, and dreaded skip-shift . Passenger side Trans, half way up, amidships, is the backup lite switch.

1) Unplug switch
2) Determine if power to switch, key on. (test lite)

3) If powered, Jumper across and see if backup lites come on.

4) If lites come come on, its either:
-- a bad switch, (easy) or
-- a bad connection inside the trans. (worse)

5) If no power or lites, then the fun begins. I hate electricity.....Wires contain tightly packed smoke particles trying to get out. I have proven this !

Easiest: You could just order and replace the switch....cheap at MSRP from your local dealer of $25 p/n 4626593

WARNING: COMMERCIAL MESSAGE: Or $20 from PartsRack !

Rare1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changed my switch too, very easy job!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Mikael