Backup Camera Install in Convertible

Pep_594

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ran wires from the cabin to the trunk in a gen 3 convertible? I’m planning to install a backup camera but I can’t find anywhere to run the wires.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You're pretty much going to have to drill a hole if you want to go into the actual trunk tub. My car had some drilled already for a huge amp that was in it when I bought it. Have since removed it though and gone back to a more stock setup. That being said, you could come up through the battery access panel. Would probably still require some kind of modification/hole though.

OP
OP
P

Pep_594

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping to not have to drill a hole but I will if necessary. I haven’t made an attempt to install it yet. I installed the radio yesterday and I’ll work on the camera when I get a chance. I did see some wiring that leads from the trunk to the drive side fender well. I’ll take it off and see if I can find anything going into the cab from there.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You know, I got to thinking about this some more the other night and that spot came to mind as well. The rear trunk light mounting runs down the left side of the trunk lid and into the fender, so that could be another option. Guessing it probably runs through a bulkhead into the cab at some point though. You might be able to get near that hole going through the space behind the seats where the top folds into, but you'd be crossing the convertible top hinge most likely, so that could get tough.

Arnold Rod

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I purchased a WiFi backup camera. Hooked the power up to the license plate light. It works with an app on your cell phone. The lights need to be switched on, but I like driving with the lights on in the daytime.

Shaggy

Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I purchased a WiFi backup camera. Hooked the power up to the license plate light. It works with an app on your cell phone. The lights need to be switched on, but I like driving with the lights on in the daytime.

Does it not hook up to your radio though?

Arnold Rod

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
No, I set this up to work with an old cell phone as the screen monitor. It was simple to do without wires to cabin. Turn on parking lights and camera switches on and activates app on phone.

Tori

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple months ago i bought a wireless backup camera from Costco. The camera is in a lic. plate frame and is rechargeable but has a solar panel built into it to help maintain. The display is 6.8" but has to be hardwired or at least plugged into the cigar lighter socket. I haven't installed it yet because i want it hardwired but not sure where to mount or where to get power for the display. Was considering putting it over the rear view mirror.
Anyway, this might be an option.
They are on Amazon too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081SLNGLQ?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_Z28DBY6NMXQHD8BNSNQ5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper