Bad corrosion on bettery terminals

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've searched like crazy on the forums but cant seem to find what im looking for. I also searched google and found some information.
Heres the deal my oem battery is almost 9 years old and still starts like a champ and has never died. Problem is every year when I remove the battery for the winter the terminals arer covered in thick white and green corrosion. Lately I have been looking at new batteries but still dont know what to do. After doing some research it seems like the battery leaks gases which cause the battery terminals to corrode. I'm on a strict budget bc i have plans to do other thing to the viper. So is there a way to continue using my oem battery without having corrosion. Like putting on die electric grease or something like that or is my battery on its last stages in life. The cheapest AGM battery i can find is $140 at autozone and sears has a similar. Or i can go with a nice lead battery from $80 on up. I dont track the car but i do drive the car like i stole it sometimes. Bottom line is I want a nice battery at a good price without stupid corrosion ever again. Whats the best solution for me? Sorry for the paragraph i've never had to buy a battery before. Any advice is appreciated. :dunno:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they make a spray for this, go to the parts store and get some, i think its by permatex, it sprays like paint and its purple in spray color, little small rattle can

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most auto parts stores also carry what looks like felt washers in red and green that you put under the clamps on the posts. I've used them for years and they stop all corosion. I've even had them dimish corrosion that was already there.

OP
OP
S

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like both your ideas so i'll get the spray and the felt washers that way i am double protected. I've seen the felt washers before but never paid them any attention. And if I do still get corrosion after this then I guess it really is just time for a new battery. Thanks guys

2005 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same issue in my last car... got new terminals (cheap), sprayed, and it wasnt bad afterwards.

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
All Lead Acid batteries "Gas" when being charged, even when engine is running & Alternator is turning. Many people overfill each cell, which causes water/acid to spill out. Then they add water which weakens the Acid content in turn shortening the life & strength of the Battery. Don't be cheap when purchasing a battery, you'll regret it. Go buy a Sears "Platinum Series" 800 cca. Die Hard with 8 yr. warranty & forget about Battery / Electrical problems. Clean Battery terminals VERY GOOD, then hook up & coat ( Lightly) with vaseline. This works just as good as those sprays but isn't as messy. Good Luck :2tu:

OP
OP
S

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well for now I picked the felt washers and the spray some im going to try that first and if i still have corrosion afterwards im going to head up to sears for a new battery.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4