Bad times at Huntington Beach Dodge...

xSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2000 GTS from Huntington Beach Dodge. Overall I am very happy with the car, but the dealer is unable or unwilling to fix the problems it is having. Overall the car runs very well, but I have had to bring it back 3 times in less than a month for repeat problems like doors not opening, mirrors not working, seat loose, gas cap, brakes, ect. In 1 month, it's spent 20 days at the dealer. They basically try to say that these things are normal for Vipers, or they just ignore what I asked them to fix.

I had the car inspected by Dan Cragin, and the dealer agreed to address any issues that were found. One was the gas cap's clear coat pealing, the other was the brake pads at 30%/25%. The dealer stated that if they had a car come in with less than 35% on the pads, that they replace them.

I complained about the brake noise on each visit, which I understand is somewhat normal, but I was mostly concerned with vibration and grinding noise. Each time they claimed to inspect the brakes, and stated that everything is normal. After I brought in the inspection sheet from Dan finding 30%/25%, they are claiming that the report is incorrect. They won't give me a specific % they measured, but say simply that the brake pads are "over 1/2 there"??? They also stated that their viper tech at HB is the best in the country, and they don't know whom this guy I brought the car to is, but he doesn't know what he is talking about.

They also stated that they cannot replace the gas cap under warranty, and that I need to go to another dealer for it. This is because when they receive a used car in, they have a report they file and note any defects, the gas cap being one of them, and that if they try to replace it under warranty, DC will charge them. This sounds like fraud to me.

I realize this dealer is completely incompetent, and I will not trust them to work on my car again.

My question is, what can be done to complain about their behavior? Is there anything I can do to prove that the inspection report from Dan is true? Whom should I call or write to at DC that will be most effective in getting their attention, or is it a waste of time?

I hope that people in the OC area will consider my experience if they are planning to deal with HB Dodge.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like your issues are too small for anyone to care about... gas cap and brakes??? I am sure you can complain, but I doubt anyone would care/listen. It doesn't sound like too big of an issue to me - even though I understand it has been hell for you. I have found most dealers are scumbags, and now I just expect that after the purchase. I would just pay the money and sleep better at night. You are already wasting too much time and energy on them. If you had a big problem with the engine or transmission or you were talking about something over 1000 bucks - sure... but brakes and gas caps, just take the loss and give them the finger.

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"but brakes and gas caps, just take the loss and give them the finger."

lol!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toss the stock pads and get EBC greens for $150 anyways, cuts the dust to nearly nothing.

Gas cap might fall under the corrosion warranty with some luck, maybe try a different dealer. DC warranty your going after there, not the dealer honoring their version of mint, ,etc.

Good luck!

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can understand the dealer not wanting to buy you a new gas cap. You surely had every chance to inspect the car's finish prior to purchase.

As far as the brakes go, dealers are required by California law to ensure the car has adequate brakes (25% of friction material remaining if I recall correctly). It is also normal for the brakes to squeal AND grind. The grinding sounds just like metal on metal especially on cool damp mornings(morning fog near the beach, perhaps?) When they warm up, the grinding goes away, but not the squealing. Vibration is not normal. Did they check the disks for run-out?

Have Dan fix you up with some non-metallic pads (like EBC's). That will take care of the squealling and grinding. While he's at it he can take a light pass at turning the rotors (simple and cheap) giving you a fresh start. That may even take care of the vibration.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My $0.02

RUN! To another dealer...You are DONE with these assclowns...forever...Don't go back for any reason whatsoever...never heard of Dan Cragin eh??? RUN!

Ask around and find a viper friendly dealer in your area...

OP
OP
X

xSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toss the stock pads and get EBC greens for $150 anyways, cuts the dust to nearly nothing.

Gas cap might fall under the corrosion warranty with some luck, maybe try a different dealer. DC warranty your going after there, not the dealer honoring their version of mint, ,etc.

Good luck!

True, I guess the thing that bothered me was the fact that they knew about the caps corrosion, put it on the inspection sheet. Then when I complained about it they said it was under warranty and they would replace it. When I go to pick it up, they say I need to bring it to another dealer b/c they could be charged if they get audited and the fact that it was noted on the inspection sheet. But, I suppose this BS is to be expected at most dealers. I just want to enjoy my car, not wonder around arguing and explaining situations to dealers over and over.

I've seen the posts about the EBC pads. I don't plan to go to the track so I suppose they will be fine for me. Is there a place I could order them online? Thanks for the replies!

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call jon b at the parts rack for you ebc green his number is 360 837 3937 He will get them to you quick

For the gas take it off throw it in the garbage and buy an MGW gap it rocks www.mgwltd.com

MY .02 cents

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my state the inspection process is done by dealers and garages but the state police oversee the system. Make a complaint to them that the car was sold to you with bad brakes. Tell them about the low pads and the grinding noise. This will cause the dealer some hassle. Probably no big deal for them but it's a way to scr*w them a little.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
two words, "Lemon Law" sounds like it qualifies (three or more times within a certain time frame for same problem and it remains unresolved after third attempt)

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
xSaleen,

That just plain *****.

You are pissed and you should be. I agree go to another dealer. NEVER go back there and EVERY chance you get post on this board that Huntington Beach Dodge is a HORRIBLE place.

Even better join the VCOA and attend the meetings. If anyone asks where to get a Viper you know what to tell them. :)

You make them lose even one sale and you have your revenge. :)

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1st-Why should they warranty a $300.00 fuel filler cap when they probably only made $3k on the car. get it? 2nd-forget about the lemon law. doesn't apply in your situation.3rd-EBC's are great low dust pads, if you don't stop. 4th-how much warranty is left on the car? The car may only have powertrain coverage left.5th-Dan who? Just kiddin'. 6th-Call Phil Crosby at Foothill Dodge in RSM with the last 9 of your vin and mileage. He'll let you know what's covered.dj

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a couple of dealerships SoCal VCA likes to use for warranty work:

Neighborhood Service (949-450-1441)
Foothill Ranch Dodge (949 471-8000)

_Niz_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had trouble with some dealers, so I found a guy by the name of Dave Jenkins. He just opened his own shop (Victory Vipers). He has been working on dodges most of his life and Vipers since they came into existence. Now he only works on Vipers. He is so thorough it is sickening. He goes above and beyond the call of duty.
I took my car in for brakes and he went over the car from top to bottom. Adjusted here, tweeked there, replaced some stuff and let me know what I was either needing or due for. He is very fair. Like I said he has just opened his shop and is eager to please. Email me if you want more details.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gas cap? Find some willing viper owner who's vehicle is still under warranty, swap caps. Have that person give you the new one, just keep his and let him have the replaced unit. I'm devious, aren't I? John ps-- I've got an rt-- can't help.

inVision

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I test drove a red RT10 at HB Dodge. I told the salesman I definitely wasn't going to buy it because I knew I could get it cheaper out of state, but he said to go ahead and test drive it anyways. So I did it, told him I really like the car, but they could not give me the deal I wanted, and as I said I wasn't going to buy it from them. Then the "sales manager" comes out and actually yells at me for test driving a car I wasn't going to buy, and insults me by saying "people like you are the reason we don't let people test drive these cars." I don't know if it was a sales tactic or what but it didn't work, at that point I wouldn't have bought the car even they could match out of state prices, so I walked out. Couple days later the salesman calls me and leaves a VM to come back in they can give me the deal I want. I never called back. California car salesmen are the worst. If I do get a Viper I'm gonna drive up to that place and give them the finger...

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to HB Dodge when the certificate program was first developing. The Sales Manager had no clue about the process and when I told him that I could buy the car at a fair amount above invoice he said they would never sell a Viper that cheaply. I told him to call me when he understood that he couldn't sell any cars without certificates. I'm still sitting by the phone!

BTW...inVision...I'm selling my 01 RT/10 in Huntington Beach. It's yellow and listed in the classifieds. It's the one with the Startech Wheels. I'll make you a deal and will even ride by with you to flip them off.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to HB Dodge when the certificate program was first developing. The Sales Manager had no clue about the process and when I told him that I could buy the car at a fair amount above invoice he said they would never sell a Viper that cheaply. I told him to call me when he understood that he couldn't sell any cars without certificates. I'm still sitting by the phone!

BTW...inVision...I'm selling my 01 RT/10 in Huntington Beach. It's yellow and listed in the classifieds. It's the one with the Startech Wheels. I'll make you a deal and will even ride by with you to flip them off.
That's a deal I wouldn't pass up!!!! :cool: :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang