Barrett Jackson Insurance Collector Car

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I switched my collector cars to Barrett Jackson Collector Car Insurance.

Saved me over$700 annually over my old collector policy.

Examples with agreed values.

1993 Dodge Viper $45,000
2001 Chrysler Prowler $45,000
2007 Ford Shelby GT $40,000
1986 Dodge Shelby $10,000
1969 Plymouth Barracuda "Mod Top" $45,000

Total annual premium for all 5 cars: $809.00

300,000 liability, towing, diminished value, factory original parts, use your own body shop, etc., and $0 deductible!

No, I'm not in the insurance business. I'm in the furniture business.

Cincy2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend these guys for insurance? I got a quote from them on line for my 2008 Viper. The price was $387 per year vs the $1200 I'm paying with USAA. Sounds almost too good to be true.

Cincy

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep thinking about an agreed value policy.
Can anyone recommend these guys for insurance? I got a quote from them on line for my 2008 Viper. The price was $387 per year vs the $1200 I'm paying with USAA. Sounds almost too good to be true.

Cincy

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been with Cincinnati Insurance for over 25 years. Absolutely an awesome company. I kept my home, Town Car, Vespa, and Ski Nautique with them. Barrett Jackson doesn't insure everyday drivers, work cars, you know what I mean.

Some of my Prowler Club members put their Prowlers with them. Barrett Jackson has been doing this for about a year or so. A good friend of mine who owns his own insurance company ( I've never bought insurance from him) checked out the company that underwrites the policy for Barrett Jackson, he says it's a good solid company. I did my due diligence.

Nothing in it for me, I just thought I would pass the word. A buck is a buck.

Oh, I found out that they do not do car trailers/haulers, from a post on the Prowler website.

The rates do work to your advantage with multiple collector cars, as you are only charged for liability on one vehicle, but the liability covers all of them. The total liability for all 5 cars at $300,000, etc., is only $85 of the $809 premium.

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I checked this out actually months ago when my Cincinnati policy renewed. But I wanted my insurance friend to check out the company. I'm not endorsing these guys because I haven't had a claim after one day:), and hope I never have a claim!!!!!:)

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For you guys that track, race, etc. your car, you should do you due diligence and ask questions. There is a clause about racing, etc.

Like I said, I just switched today and the price is right for what I use my collector cars for. I made my decision on price and coverage. Call them, ask questions, and make your own decision.

Here are a few threads from the Prowler website.

Barrett-Jackson Car Ins. - More + Info. - ProwlerOnline, Plymouth/Chrysler Prowler Discussion Forum

Barrett-Jackson Insurance - ProwlerOnline, Plymouth/Chrysler Prowler Discussion Forum

Barrett Jackson Collector Car Insurance - ProwlerOnline, Plymouth/Chrysler Prowler Discussion Forum

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they are fat cats and want to keep a good rep-- im sure they will treat you fair if needed..hey they are car guys,they know what we exspect

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do look at the fine print; is there anything about daily driving or driving to work? A lot of these policies are for pleasure driving only. If you have an accident on the way to work, you may not be covered!

WAM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is some good information.

I have not found a car, but I may be close. I called my car insurance guy and he quoted me about $960 a year for a 2003. I'm 65 and sounds high to me.

Ran a 2003 through the Barrett Jackson estimate and came back $248 for a year. This sounds good for a car that will be used less than 2 or 3 thousand miles a year.

Thanks for the information.

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I too have a quote from them on the way. You have to remember, the online quote is for liability ONLY. They quote comp & collision manually. My quote will be ready Mon/Tues, and will gladly post the numbers compared to my Allstate policy, which no one has been able to beat yet. (I check every year, but have my home with them also, so the discount is substantial).

I love that they only charge for one liability though - that's the way it should be! They did ask if anyone else ever drives the cars, so I had to mention my wife - that may affect the final quote as well. Will need to ask them about letting other people drive it, as I forgot to ask if they would be covered.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does this insurance really have anything substantial to do with the Barrett-Jackson Company ? I notice that it is named "Barret-Jackson Endorsed" Insurance by the Chartis company, not Barrett-Jackson Insurance Company.

I have to admit that that sounds better than the "Ronald MacDonald Endorsed" Insurance; but, it doesn't make it any better insurance.

It would make me nervous dealing with a part of AIG that is now called Chartis; however, I have no real reason for that feeling since "I think" that the insurance part of the company wasn't part of the fraud issues.

The association just doesn't instill confidence in me.

OP
OP
daytonprowler

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, the quote online is for everything comp and collison. My online inquiry was more than my final quote. The Chartis branch of AIG was not on the bankruptcy side of the company. Look at the links I posted from the prowleronline site. They discuss that on one of their threads.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The company name is 'The Delp Company' out of Maumee, OH. I'm asking for a quote and they sent me the required information. Check out Delp on the internet. It looks well different I guess than any other insurance company I've ever seen. We should all check the Better Business Bureau as well before jumping on them. They are almost too cheap to be real.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The company name is 'The Delp Company' out of Maumee, OH. I'm asking for a quote and they sent me the required information. Check out Delp on the internet. It looks well different I guess than any other insurance company I've ever seen. We should all check the Better Business Bureau as well before jumping on them.

Looks like Delp is just a management company and Chartis the actual insurer ?

They are almost too cheap to be real.
That plus the name of the insurance are what throw up a flag for me. But, they may just be good businessmen trying to market and price their product in new and competitive ways.

As long as both Chartis and Delp check out, (which it looks like they do), then it may be worth the risk of going with a new collector car insurance provider.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't see hwere Delp was the managing company. So is Chartis any good? Does anyone here have any history with them? Just asking. I sent in my info on both my cars and we'll see how much lower they are. Till then:eater:

gtsfe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just sent in my info and I should receive my quote this afternoon/tomorrow. I currently have my viper on my normal insurance policy w/ nationwide. I talked to their rep. and they do provide comp/collision and liability. I asked about driving to work and such "once in awhile" and she said there is no problem w/ that. They just want to make sure the "bulk" of your miles are on your "daily driver." Which is fine w/ me.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did an on-line quote too...and wow! A huge difference from what I have now.

I guess one question I would have in looking at my policy is whether these plans are Full Tort, etc.

I mean...there's no such thing as free lunch...so I'd like to know why these seem to be so reasonable.

Last edited:

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As stated above, the online quote is for full coverage, not just liability (my mistake). My quote came in today and my premium would drop from $1460/year for 3 vehicles to $431/year. The coverage limits are a little lower than what I had with Allstate, so I will have them requote to compare.

I agree with others - seems too cheap to be real. Found an article where other insurance companies were claiming they were underbidding the market because of AIG's troubles, but Chartis correctly pointed out that the companies that were complaining actually were growing on a year-to-year basis, so they probably aren't being hurt by Chartis being in the market. Chartis on its own is supposedly large enough to be a Fortune 500 company.

I will be calling my Allstate agent in the morning to discuss this further with them.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i say its legit--they are really cheap cause they want to grab all the people as fast as they can to get the new bussiness up and growing strong as quick as possible...it wont be that cheap forever,but probably allways a good deal..they are so fat,they can afford to do this and take the gamble--

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds worth checking into. One reason they may be so reasonable may be they don't expect Colector cars to be on the road that much compared to other DD type vehicles. Also maybe they figure most Viper owner's are older driver's and so they take it into account . If they honor claims well and have good customer service at the time of an accident,well it sounds very good to me.