Battery Disconnect....Check Engine Light?

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys....I just finished with my sound system in my Viper and finally got everything put back together today. It has been in my garage and not cranked for at least 5 or 6 weeks. I keep it on a battery tender though. Anyway, during this time I also switched batteries to a Optima Yellow Top. When I cranked it today, I now have a check engine light :rolleyes: Could this be from the hook and unhook of the battery cables a few times while putting the new one in and upgrading the terminals? Or could this be that the voltage was really low from testing things today with the car off. It started fine though, so it does not act like a low voltage problem. I don't have a scan tool so how do I clear the code? Or will it go away after a few more starts?

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I've read it's normal to get a CEL when the battery is disconnected (or replaced) on '08/'09 Vipers.

It should go out after several starts.

Not sure what exactly 'several' means though?:dunno:

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Typically with multiple battery disconnects, you will mature a P2610 - Engine Off Timer fault...

No power = No Timer

The fault will demature (go out) after two trips.

It also takes two events to make it set in the first place, but multiiple battery disconnects will make it set.