Battery Tender Problem

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious if any of the forum have run into this problem before. I generally keep a Battery Tender on my '99 GTS if I leave it parked more than a week...had so much rain this past summer, it seems like it was on the car more often than it wasn't! Anyway, I last drove the car about 2 weeks ago and left it parked without hooking up the "tender". Since the weather forecast looks poor for this weekend, I thought I'd hook it up and when I did, the charging light on the tender showed "green", which to me, is impossible. With a Battery Tender, my experience has been that if you just open the car door and the dome light goes on, the tender :confused: goes to a charge "red" or at lease flashing "red/green". Does it sound like the tender is crapped out? Thanks for any help, guys!

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the tender hooked up, flip your headlights on and see if that triggers it to charge. Do you have it hard-wired?

OP
OP
T

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I immediately turned on the head lights, as you suggested, when I first installed it and saw the green light......tender light stayed green. The tender is not hard wired, never has been. Just alligator clip it to the charging points under the hood. It's always worked just fine...if it wasn't hooked up correctly, it'd be flashing red, I believe. Anyone else have a thought?

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine went on the fritz.....no lights. Just crapped out overnight.
Bought a new one, and sent my old one back for repair / replacement since the BT Plus has a 10 year warranty. $9.95 pre-paid with proof of purchase or $14.95 pre-paid with no purchase receipt.

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try hooking it to a different vehicle and if still no change, time for a new one. I think out of my 6 total BT's only one went bad.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine is never green right away if the car has sat at all. Sounds like something is not right on yours. Shoot them an email and see what they say.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shoot them an email and see what they say.

This is what they will tell ya as stated above with the correction of the "no proof of purchase" handling fee......

Send it back to them.....$9.95 handling fee pre-paid with proof of purchase or $15.95 handling fee pre-paid with no proof of purchase receipt for repair or replacement.

OP
OP
T

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for offering your suggestions. Turns out the negative post alligator clip was placed too far down on the post, actually clipped to the nut. Don't ask me why (??), but the B/T light just stayed green. Adjusted the alligator onto the post, light turned red, went to flashing red-green a few hours later, and then to green overnight. All seems just fine. False alarm on my part.....